star trek enterprise - fifteen years later

I just started watching this. Love it.

It has a bit more of an SG1 feel to it and I really like that.

Mind you I skipped a lot of the first two seasons to get into the xindi thing. Which is all fantastic. I'll go back and watch the rest of the early stuff later

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hey guys, in the opening credits there is a ship between the phoenix and the enterprise. What is it?

...One of these days I should probably get the first three seasons and watch the show again just to see how it's aged.
Thanks to NormanF, I have re-watched all four seasons of Enterprise twice on Netflix since I made this post in May. It confirmed my previous opinion that, despite it's flaws, it's the only one of the spin-off series that I can still watch and enjoy.

Hey guys, in the opening credits there is a ship between the phoenix and the enterprise. What is it?
Someone here may have a more definitive answer, but I think that ship was simply used to give the impression that there had been some in-universe progression and experimentation in ship design between the Phoenix and the NX-01 Enterprise.

Didnt go much on it first time around. Didnt see much of it and the theme tune didnt help. But it has been repeated over the last couple of years in the mornings and I really got into it. A couple of dud and annoying characters but I ended up watching the whole run twice....

And I always remember people saying it was a flop but it still ran for more seasons than ST TOS.

I resisted this series for a long time, eventually watching it in its entirety several years ago on Netflix. Just finished it all again because BEYOND mentions the Macos and the xindi conflict, and I realized I barely remembered what they were referencing. And I like to be a well rounded and knowledgeable trek fan.

How many times is the drama of the opening scenario that sets the tone for the entire episode completely ruined by the opening theme song? Almost every time. I made a game of skipping the song. Enterprise was doomed from the start for this reason alone in my opinion. Firefly too but I digress.

For me, overall, no individual Trek series offers a perfect continuity. The episodic format will always give you highs and lows. Enterprise delivers fairly in the variety of stories they tell and I really enjoyed the overarching plots that span multiple episodes. It is also important to remember that any show is a product of its time, and the terrorist attack of earth was very much rooted in our Sept 11th reality.

I judge a show based on its staying power. If it is memorable I consider it to be worthwhile. Highlights for me include the discovery of the Vulcan historic sight being used as a spy station. That time Archer creates a prison escape deception in order to earn trust and ultimately the coordinates to the weapon, by simply playing pretend. The religious zealots who takeover their ship under false pretenses, only to finally discover their own beliefs/conflict have already destroyed their entire home world. Season 4 was The strongest in my opinion and the mirror episodes found a way to land the cast in the TOS look, frankly a tease. I didn't find the finale to be that objectionable. Tieing into TNGs The Pegasus was a bold move, and the final exit beginning with the D and Picards voice was frankly shocking. I didn't mind the concept of an episode but in my opinion it overshadows the Enterprise cast in their finale.

About the cast. They all do alright for me, but mayweather delivers the most lackluster performance in trek history. All of his faces and delivery are the same. Flox steals the show on a few occasions and Bakula does ok with what he's got. Tucker and Tpol s ongoing romance was believable to me. I really enjoyed the episode where Reid is trying to develop a name for the "tactical alert" and Tucker's grumpy jab, your "Reid alert." Any andorian related story lines were great episodes and offered some of the best performances from the guest stars.

I wish the show had continued, and made more efforts to tie into the continuity of TOS. I'd definitely encourage anyone to watch the show and give it a fair chance.

I like it a LOT more than TNG, that's for sure.

As for the theme song, I really hated it when this show came out. I'll never forget that moment when I first heard it in the premier. I pretty much gave up on the show then.

But now it gives me a great feeling when I hear it. Kinda like that moment in Dirty Dancing when they put on the final song on the record player. It's saccharine, but comforting.

...I didn't find the finale to be that objectionable. Tieing into TNGs The Pegasus was a bold move, and the final exit beginning with the D and Picards voice was frankly shocking. I didn't mind the concept of an episode but in my opinion it overshadows the Enterprise cast in their finale...
You've just summed up everything that's wrong with Enterprise's final episode. It felt more like an episode of The Next Generation, and almost completely took the focus off of the cast of Enterprise in their final moments.

...Kinda like that moment in Dirty Dancing when they put on the final song on the record player. It's saccharine, but comforting.
Dirty Dancing??? You've just lost all credibility with me. :lol

You've just summed up everything that's wrong with Enterprise's final episode. It felt more like an episode of The Next Generation, and almost completely took the focus off of the cast of Enterprise in their final moments.

Dirty Dancing??? You've just lost all credibility with me. [emoji38]
When Jonny lifts baby up in the air.....If you don't get goosebumps, you aren't human!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I watched the series as it aired and several times since then and have gotten to like it more and more (minus the last episode which I refuse to watch again.) I don't have a problem with any of the character portrayals, but I especailly like Connor Trineer's character Trip, Linda Park's Hoshi, Billingsley's Flox and Jeffery Combs' reoccurring role as Shran. The ship itself was unimpressive and just seemed like a bland backdrop.

Some of the storylines are excellent IMO, like the Andorian/Vulcan conflict, the Temporal War, and they really had just started to get into their stride in season 4 with T'Pol's personal history, her relationship with Trip and her monther's involvement with the Syrianites. I never liked the whole Xindi plotline and I still don't think I understand what it really was about.

It was a good show, but it could have been enjoyed more if it had been given a chance to really take off, but it's 'flight' was cut short....(Blame the Vulcans?) ;-P

Last edited by a moderator:
When Jonny lifts baby up in the air.....If you don't get goosebumps, you aren't human!
Well then, I guess I'm not human. Or I don't have enough estrogen in my system. :D

But seriously, my wife loves that movie. I watched it with her once, and thought it was awful even for a "chick flick". And as my wife has watched it again and again over the years I've re-seen bits and pieces of it, and I honestly don't understand how it became so popular.

Well then, I guess I'm not human. Or I don't have enough estrogen in my system. :D

But seriously, my wife loves that movie. I watched it with her once, and thought it was awful even for a "chick flick". And as my wife has watched it again and again over the years I've re-seen bits and pieces of it, and I honestly don't understand how it became so popular.
I didn't like it when I was younger, but after sitting through the whole thing I put it up there with Ghostbusters. It's a perfect 1980's blockbuster. One of the best.

Give the whole movie a chance some time. They really don't make them like that anymore

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

So I'm working my way through the xindi arc and I love it. It's structured very much like sg1. Which is perfect.

But one thing that was bothering me is that they stopped directing t'pol as a Vulcan. They were really playing fast and loose with her e original restraint......until the most recent episode I saw where we find out she's become an addict. Brilliant!

So I'm working my way through the xindi arc and I love it. It's structured very much like sg1. Which is perfect.

But one thing that was bothering me is that they stopped directing t'pol as a Vulcan. They were really playing fast and loose with her e original restraint......until the most recent episode I saw where we find out she's become an addict. Brilliant!

Season 4 is a LOT better ;)

I always thought Jolene made a great Vulcan.

It seems she was all ready to portray a traditional style Vulcan, but was overruled by the people in charge who just wanted to repeat the 7of9 sex appeal. IIRC she was one of those who agreed with the disappointment that they were often replacing plot with boobs.
Also, there's the little matter of, even after the (terrible) time-jump finale, the token black guy never got promoted. Never-mind that an early episode has Mayweather mention a sister, but then the episode where we meet his family has a brother instead. According to critics he had less dialogue than Uhura

From some behind the scenes stuff, she seems to be a sci-fi geek at heart :thumbsup
My first impression was NOT good though :lol I judged the book by its cover :$

So did the people who hired her. basically hired her for her assets to continue the traditional ratings boost seven of nine brought in.

but yeah. i've warmed up to her a LITTLE bit....

It seems she was all ready to portray a traditional style Vulcan, but was overruled by the people in charge who just wanted to repeat the 7of9 sex appeal. IIRC she was one of those who agreed with the disappointment that they were often replacing plot with boobs.
Also, there's the little matter of, even after the (terrible) time-jump finale, the token black guy never got promoted. Never-mind that an early episode has Mayweather mention a sister, but then the episode where we meet his family has a brother instead. According to critics he had less dialogue than Uhura

I would definitely have preferred having more Mayweather action, in fact if they had left out Malcolm Reed altogether would have been rather nice. :angel
The only main character I didn't really like, at all.

Traditional Vulcan would have been better. At least to start off with. Then as the show went on she could have become more "human", for lack of better word.

So did the people who hired her. basically hired her for her assets to continue the traditional ratings boost seven of nine brought in.

but yeah. i've warmed up to her a LITTLE bit....

The cynic in me says Jolene was probably mainly hired because of her extremely good looks. The opposite side of me wants to believe she was hired because of pure talent. I honestly think she did a great job with what she had to work with.

The cynic in me says Jolene was probably mainly hired because of her extremely good looks. The opposite side of me wants to believe she was hired because of pure talent. I honestly think she did a great job with what she had to work with.

forgive me for a moment with the below ;o)...

the cynic in me says even thinking that makes me a misognystic woman hating man baby. the opposite side of me knows that's just how the real hollywood world works ;o)

sorry, carry over from another thread, couldn't resist ;o)

please continue ;o)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back