Star Trek 1:1 Enterprise-E Captain's Chair

Marc Wagner

I'm working on building the captain's chair from the Star Trek TNG movies. I've got great reference shots from the 2006 auction.
EChair.jpg gallery_5162_104_32279.jpg gallery_5162_104_35019.jpg P507_6.jpg P507_1.jpg

I have the chair modeled to scale in Blender and have exported the model so I can 3d print the base and armrests. I will be using traditional upholstery methods for the chair.
Screenshot 2022-09-20 102634.png processed-7c85ad06-2f0d-4da2-a3eb-6dd4d8b7679d_9yffqX9d.jpeg processed-adb7913b-27e2-4b2e-bf19-b7fad7e2675c_N9WvlFMz.jpeg

I started by printing the chair in its entirety at Playmates figure scale so I have a physical example to model the full size chair from.
processed-a6220f54-ed3a-49fc-a7b1-924d10b033dc_grqvH8VW.jpeg processed-20811514-3231-41b3-bf11-6df0502758c6_ajIOqgck.jpeg

Progress on the base. I'm using wood dowels to connect the parts and add strength:
processed-588cf97d-a8d1-49d8-9a82-c19eadad9261_Q2kPiqUL.jpeg processed-b2880201-1ae1-4d38-849e-e29b1a26987c_HwsDhYkg.jpeg processed-4562e38b-24f9-413d-8f4d-bafa361b17d0_sK1SkB0t.jpeg

You may know this, but for the record, that's the second version of the E chair. The original was stolen near the end of filming Nemesis. They had to make a replacement quickly and they aren't identical. Most obviously, the headrest and hole are not the same. You may want to tweak your model if you want replicate the one we see in 90% of the movies.

You may know this, but for the record, that's the second version of the E chair. The original was stolen near the end of filming Nemesis. They had to make a replacement quickly and they aren't identical. Most obviously, the headrest and hole are not the same. You may want to tweak your model if you want replicate the one we see in 90% of the movies.
Yes I am aware of this change.

I wonder, since that was known to be “the last” of the TNG films, if it was arranged to “secretly allow” this chair to be removed by a member of the production and call it an overnight theft with no actual reports filed.

I have heard stories about these types of “show up at this door at this time and I’ll slip you this item” from interviews covering different productions, over time.

This would otherwise be a particularly awkward item to squeeze through the regular stage doors and then cart across the Paramount lot, through the security checkpoints, and into a vehicle outside the lot (if it wasn’t a member of the production crew, who would otherwise have parking inside the lot).

Last edited:
Looking great, but I have one issue. You 3d printed the arm rests... Are you going to use that to cast them in aluminium?

The 3d printed parts wont be able to handle actual use. IE wont take the weight if you lean on them or like me... Use your arm rests to hoist yourself up to sitting cross legged in the chair :D

If they 3d printed. Maybe think about having internal steel suport?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back