Interest Star Lord Nerf Quad Blaster grip upgrade w/Carbon Fiber wrap

Soulinertia

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just testing the water to see if there is enough interest to do a run of these Nerf Quad Blaster grip upgrades.

original:
nerfblaster2.jpg

upgraded:
blasterwrap.jpg

blasterwrap2.jpg

blasterwrap3.jpg

Here is a quick vid to show how the raw cast snaps into place (no glue required). I'll also include enough carbon fiber material to wrap both grips as shown above.

You will need a heat gun like this one from harbor freight to achieve an optimal wrap:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-watt-dual-temperature-heat-gun-572-1112-96289.html

dedc665eb961042f45c5ade004c48644.jpg

This was actually sculpted about 6 months ago. I've only molded and cast the grip for the right blaster so far. I still need to sculpt the left grip.

20140917_203951.jpg

I'll post some more pics in a bit.

Price will probably be somewhere around $55 for a pair of grips including the sheets of the carbon fiber wrap (I haven't finalized this yet though).

Let me know if your interested via this thread.

INTEREST LIST:

80sKIDAutoman
Risu
Ninead
hazardjsimpson
njakus29
Taff83
hikz
M Constantine
Warrior Po8
Yrien
NACZ3
grudgehammer
mierax
GCarnevale
Johnnyfl
Max Jenius
hello
Firnatine87
justanuthercap
Trout
yankyfan09
hound97
Trout
Staar Lord Maan
bigkilo
All The Man Jr
Chris27989
medic2410p
tmax
phoenixinflames

Last edited by a moderator:
I upgraded these grips not only to achieve a more screen accurate look, but because the stock grips felt way too small in my hand. They are made to fit a child's hand after all. In fact, the entire blaster has been scaled down. Here is a scale comparison I calculated using a number of reference shots to show the Nerf blaster against the screen used prop:

blastcompare.jpg

Here are some progress shots of the right grip:

20140916_210958.jpg

20140916_211021.jpg

Originally I had everything smoothed out, but for casting purposes and structural strength I ended up modifying the edge.

You can sand these down and use bondo or similar to fully integrate them into the handle before wrapping them in the carbon fiber vinyl if you like.

20140916_211044.jpg

Cast in progress:
20141005_120942.jpg

My plan was to create completely new upper and lower shells that would be direct replacements for the stock parts to make the overall appearance larger and more accurate, while still maintaining the pop-up feature of the Nerf gun. Not sure if I'm going to continue on with this idea though. Here are a few pics of the initial rough sculpts with the first grip casting:

20141005_131654.jpg

20141005_131748.jpg

20141005_131801.jpg

20141005_143116.jpg

Comfort grip! ;)
20141005_143444.jpg

Last edited:
The price of the wrap is negligible. You can get a whole roll of it for $5. I just thought I'd include it as part of the package since I have so much of it myself.

You did call dibs on the first grips off the line in my other thread @80sKIDAutoman ;)

Thanks for your words of encouragement.

Interest list updated.

- - - Updated - - -

Where did you get the wrap? At Autozone it's $20 for a roll. Anyway, still in.

I can't post the link due to forum rules, but there is a USA seller on ebay $4.99 shipped for a 60" roll.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back