Staff of Ra Headpiece Custom Stand

LandronArtifact

I've been looking forever for a decent way to prop up my Staff of Ra headpiece to no avail. I considered using one of those little fold-out photo stands, but I thought there had to be a better way. After a while I figured I should just make my own and get it over with. It's made out of hard foam carved with a hot wire foam cutting tool and later painted. The colors in the pics aren't quite right though, as the color of the stand is supposed to be more yellowish to look more like Egyptian pyramid stone.

indy_display_dressed02.jpg

Here it is in its home, right at the feet of the Raiders Premium Format fig.

headpiece_stand03.jpg

headpiece_stand01.jpg

headpiece_stand04.jpg

I designed it so it can be displayed in 2 ways, centered, and off centered. I still can't decide which way I like best. :wacko

headpiece_stand02.jpg

Hmmm.... if it was human sized it would make for an interesting couch! lol.

-AL

Haven't posted in a while. Anyway, here's what I've been up to these days. These hand-carved stands were becoming a little too time consuming on the long run. I eventually decided that I should devote a good amount of time to develop one single master sculpt, and cast it. This not only freed me up to spend more time on more things, but also eliminated variants in sculpts... all castings would become identical to the original master. Another thing that was driving my nuts is the fumes of the melting foam. Even with my vent box it was a little too much.

The material I chose was something I had only recently become aware of: Hydrocal white. I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!!!

hydrocalforrastand.jpg

It's a gypsum-based cement, but unlike Plaster of Paris, it's very high grade. It captures superb detail, and is ridiculously strong. It also gives a nice stone-like feel and weight that's appropriate for this piece.

rastandmold.jpg

Silicone mold.

freshcasting.jpg

Fresh unpainted casting.

rastandpainted02.jpg

Completed piece.

rastandpainted01.jpg

rastandpainted03.jpg

rastandpainted04.jpg

rastandpainted05.jpg

-AL

Looks great! Best part is you can use the stand for Warhammer Fantasy as a Tomb Kings terrain piece :D.

Were did you get the Staff of Ra piece?

Oscar

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back