SS TOS Klingon D-7

Lynn TXP 0369

Sr Member
I'm looking for pics of the SS TOS Klingon D-7

I'm not finding anything. When I google all I find is links to the Polar Lights Klingon D-7 on sale.

PLease post them here or atleast links for them.

Thanks for any help.
Lynn

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lynn TXP 0369 @ Dec 17 2006, 02:03 PM) [snapback]1379961[/snapback]</div>
I'm looking for pics of the SS TOS Klingon D-7

I'm not finding anything. When I google all I find is links to the Polar Lights Klingon D-7 on sale.

PLease post them here or atleast links for them.

Thanks for any help.
Lynn
[/b]
I spent the day at Scotts shop yesterday. He allowed me to take the first build "prototype" with me to show to some friends since he will be building two of these beautiful kits up for me.

This one is the same one that is posted on his site and was the first to be pulled from the molds. Since this is a "prototype" it needs a little more work, but it gives an idea of this Studio Scale kit's quality. It is large. It is going to be reworked a bit for perfection.

This main body was cast just to see what it would look like and the resin was a bit of a bad mix,.. so it shows leaching on the front of the main body, but as I said,.. this is the "prototype" and is not of production status. I think even the decals on the front may be upside down as well. LOL. It is just not important at this point. :) The top of the ball module is perfectly flat as opposed to the previous Studio Scale piece from ICONS which obviously had some shrinkage.

I am very pleased with what he has at this time and cannot wait for my two to be completed. My two will have the exact paint job resembling the D7 that sat on Roddenberry's desk. This one mostly is of the filming version. Surprisingly,.. the two differed in paint schemes.

Here ya go.

CC-D7_001A.jpg

CC-D7_002A.jpg

CC-D7_003A.jpg

CC-D7_004A.jpg

CC-D7_005A.jpg

CC-D7_006A.jpg

CC-D7_007A.jpg

CC-D7_008A.jpg

CC-D7_009A.jpg

CC-D7_010A.jpg

CC-D7_011A.jpg

CC-D7_012A.jpg

Hope this helps ya Lynn. ;)

OOOooohhh AAAaaahhhhh....
Thats what I needed.. :D
Tat looks really good..
Thanks..

Paint is simple and sweet. Little to no weathering.
This will look soooo good next to the MR Enterprise...

Do you got a pic of that D7 on Roddenberry's desk?

So are you back Kurt? or just for a brief vist?? ;)

Lynn

When Profiles auctioned off the D-7 a last year, their catalog had some good photos. I'm in the same predicament looking for photos since I'm working on one too. I got it from Steve when he had his garage sale a while back.

I'll see if I can dig up the catalog.

Gene

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lynn TXP 0369 @ Dec 17 2006, 04:57 PM) [snapback]1380048[/snapback]</div>
Paint is simple and sweet. Little to no weathering.
This will look soooo good next to the MR Enterprise...

Do you got a pic of that D7 on Roddenberry's desk?

So are you back Kurt? or just for a brief vist?? ;)

Lynn
[/b]

LOLOL...just a visit for the most part... LOL...I am not entirely MIA.... I always try to stay up with you guys. After all...this IS the best place for great model masters to be reached... and you're one of them. ;)

Here are three pics Scott shot my way of Roddenberry's studio scale desktop model with the paint scheme that will be used on my two pieces.

DESKTOP-D7_001A.jpg

DESKTOP-D7_002A.jpg

DESKTOP-D7_003A.jpg

I have always LOVED this design. :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Treadwell @ Dec 18 2006, 08:31 AM) [snapback]1380377[/snapback]</div>
This is the first I've heard of there being two original SS models. What's the complete story?
[/b]
Hello Jay.

There's not much to tell really. From what Scott informed me,.. two were built of which one was used for filming and the other for Roddenberry's desk. Wouldn't it be nice to have that one?. LOL.. I certainly wouldn't mind and Scott is definitely doing these pieces justice.

Then three were built. One for ERTL to tool from. The Klingon ship was ERTL's idea so they could sell a bad guy ship to go with thier popular Enterprise kit. They made the models and supplied them to Desilu(sp) to use for filming.

That's the story they tell anyway. I hear there's a lot of fiction when it comes to the "behind the scenes" facts.

Very cool info and great shots of the ships..

So is the two tone paint scheme the real true color representaion of the SS ship and not just solid grey?
Because I don't see any trace of green in these pics.

[image]http://members.aol.com/IDICPage/ktos2.jpg[/image]
[image]http://members.aol.com/IDICPage/ktos7.jpg[/image]

Lynn

I am glad you started this thread Lynn. It will be interesting to find out more as time goes on. Maybe someone should get Gene Roddenberry's son on the phone? I am sure he'd remember what was on the desk and probably what it looked like. I know I would have never forgotten...lol.

This ship has a special place in my heart...lol...ahhhhh...mushy...lol.

LOL...I believe there are TWO paint schemes. I have seen and been told reference of both. There was a Studio D7 that sat on Roddenberry's desk that had the paint scheme I will be using. The Filiming Model used the solid Blu-Grey scheme as seen in the pics above. I don't know why.

From the info I have been given,.. Coby is correct..one was built for AMT.

I will be using the more attractive two-toned scheme. Even the little diamond shape on the nacell strut is GOLD in that paint scheme.

LOL..however,.. if the info I have seen and been given is wrong... I am still going with the two-tone. After seeing the solid blu-grey and then seeing the two tone,.. there is no comparison in the look. Yes,.. I know... if it is wrong,.. then all the bolt counters out there will scream "blasphemy.". Fortunately for me, the collection is only as good as those who choose to view it... and I, for one, choose to. LOL. Ahh the choices we can make and enjoy. LOL.

Back to the depths I go...lol... be back soon for more chit chat and to see what you all have going on. It's the GOOD STUFF.. You guys are great.

BTW... Jason Eaton... please expect a call soon after the holidays for the commission we had discussed prior to your Japan trip. Somewhere along this time period, we lost touch. Or,.. please email me when you get the chance to set up a time to speak. I will look forward to that time.

On that note... HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE...

Now,.. back to more on this kewl D7...

Hey, everyone.

I always loved that ship as well. I'm reworking a couple of old Icons castings myself, and boy is it a lot of work. Gotta love the way Icons filled in the Photon Torpedo tube to make molding easier. :rolleyes Kurt, the work Steve did on your D-7's is beautiful. Did he start out with an Icons pull or were these scratchbuilt? I've got a couple more photos that might interest you and Lynn. This was Gene Roddenberry's which was auctioned recently. Merry Christmas.
1_1.jpg

2_1.jpg

3_1.jpg

4_1.jpg

As you can see, the original models were actually carved out of wood, as the main fuselage has split on the starboard side where the wood has expanded over the past forty years. There were some subtle differences in the details, such as the ribbing on the ends of the warp nacelles and the position of the sensor thingy on the bottom of the nacelles. It was my understanding that two were originally built and painted pretty much the same. The bright studio lights just washed out the colors. If this history is wrong, please someone step in and say so, as I am just repeating what I have heard. ;) One was used by AMT for a pattern while the other was used for filming. The AMT D-7 was given to Gene Rodenberry, and after filming wraped, the filming model was given to Matt Jeffries. This is the one in the Smithsonian now. It was repainted grey for Star Trek: Phase II, and when they decided to make a motion picture they decided they needed a larger more detailed model. The Jeffries/Smithsonian D-7 is the one Icons and Paramount pulled molds from. The current grey monotone paintjob on display at the Smithsonian is courtesy of Ed Miarecki with paint left over from the Big E. Gene's still has the all original 1960's paintjob.

Bill

It may not be as "interesting" of a paintjob but I'm painting my a medium blue-gray color. I do not beleive the story that the desk model and the production model were painted the same. I have not seen any reference of the filming minature that makes me believe it to be true, and all of the screen reference (Yes I know the studio lights change the color of the paint) do not seen to show a difference in color betwen the top horizonal surfaces and the rest of the ship. But the most important reason for my painting it a medium blue gray is - thats how I remember it...

Actually now that I'm thinking of it its obviously NOT true that they were painted the same since the studio model diamond on the engine struts was NOT gold as it appears on the desk model... Or perhaps the studio model was repainted prior to its scenes... "stuff" happens at the 11th hour and gets a quick fix to keep the shooting schedule I could easily see that happening... But what was on screen does not look the same to me as the paint on the "other" Kilngon cruiser...

Jedi Dade

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kevoris @ Dec 19 2006, 11:30 AM) [snapback]1381029[/snapback]</div>
Hey, everyone.

I always loved that ship as well. I'm reworking a couple of old Icons castings myself, and boy is it a lot of work. Gotta love the way Icons filled in the Photon Torpedo tube to make molding easier. :rolleyes Kurt, the work Steve did on your D-7's is beautiful. Did he start out with an Icons pull or were these scratchbuilt? I've got a couple more photos that might interest you and Lynn. This was Gene Roddenberry's which was auctioned recently. Merry Christmas.
4_1.jpg

As you can see, the original models were actually carved out of wood, as the main fuselage has split on the starboard side where the wood has expanded over the past forty years. There were some subtle differences in the details, such as the ribbing on the ends of the warp nacelles and the position of the sensor thingy on the bottom of the nacelles. It was my understanding that two were originally built and painted pretty much the same. The bright studio lights just washed out the colors. If this history is wrong, please someone step in and say so, as I am just repeating what I have heard. ;) One was used by AMT for a pattern while the other was used for filming. The AMT D-7 was given to Gene Rodenberry, and after filming wraped, the filming model was given to Matt Jeffries. This is the one in the Smithsonian now. It was repainted grey for Star Trek: Phase II, and when they decided to make a motion picture they decided they needed a larger more detailed model. The Jeffries/Smithsonian D-7 is the one Icons and Paramount pulled molds from. The current grey monotone paintjob on display at the Smithsonian is courtesy of Ed Miarecki with paint left over from the Big E. Gene's still has the all original 1960's paintjob.

Bill
[/b]
Nice Bill.

Shoot me an email sometime. ;) Sent ya a PM.

Ok,.. Ok... last note...promise. :D You guys keep me hooked. :lol

I LOVE what he accomplished with it as well.

Scott (Cardboard) ,...(not Steve)... :p LOL..., is the man behind this beastie. He did some serious reworking and scratch building of an old ICONS bird in order to put it back to it's original glory that it deserved. The ICONS piece, while still kewl, was malformed a bit due to resin shrinkage with their casting.

Might you take a pic of the top for me? It looks, from the picture above, that the Gold paint is on the diamond shape on the nacell strut indicating that the paint job I was referring to was the one on Gene's desk. If so,.. this will be the final confirmation for my own personal benefit.

It may not be as "interesting" of a paintjob but I'm painting my a medium blue-gray color. I do not beleive the story that the desk model and the production model were painted the same. I have not seen any reference of the filming minature that makes me believe it to be true, and all of the screen reference (Yes I know the studio lights change the color of the paint) do not seen to show a difference in color betwen the top horizonal surfaces and the rest of the ship. But the most important reason for my painting it a medium blue gray is - thats how I remember it...

Actually now that I'm thinking of it its obviously NOT true that they were painted the same since the studio model diamond on the engine struts was NOT gold as it appears on the desk model... Or perhaps the studio model was repainted prior to its scenes... "stuff" happens at the 11th hour and gets a quick fix to keep the shooting schedule I could easily see that happening... But what was on screen does not look the same to me as the paint on the "other" Kilngon cruiser...

Jedi Dade
[/b]

Dade,.. I can't wait to see how your bird comes out. I love the Blu-Grey scheme as well as it is also how I remember the beastie. Very kewl memories indeed. When I found out about the other scheme,.. which Bill may be able to clear up for me, I just had to have it to be the odd man out type of thing. The Blu-Grey scheme is definitely still very interesting to me,.. and most of the world I imagine. I am certain your paint-up will be awesome and can't wait to view it as well as anyone elses that does one of these beasties. :D

Well I've got two coming. One for me and one for a buddy. Maybe I can convince him to go the Desk model paint scheme ;) Just so I can say I've done it both ways ;)

Its damn cool no matter how you cut it really B)

Jedi Dade

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back