Spiderman lens material?

spideyman12004

I'm putting together a Spectacular Spiderman cartoon costume (pattern done by Sonjou) for Halloween. I've search the threads many times on what material people use for the lenses. I will say I'm a pretty picky person when it come to making things and want the eyes to look perfect. I've seen people use frying pan splatter screens, metal coffee filters, Buckram etc..... but I'm looking for something that is finer then those. I came across a site that sells a lot of different wire mesh, but not sure what's the best diameter to choose. Does anyone have any idea on which diameter would be best or any other material thats finer then the ones I stated above?

Fake Leather for the frams and mirror like/silver plastic gift wrap for the lens. Mirror like lens is more accurate to the why it's describe in the comics.

One of these two eyes design should work for you.
ea410169.jpg

a0a510bc.jpg

7f04981f.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions. Already have frames through (done by Goosebot5000). Also not a fan of the mirrored look. In my eyes it just doesn't look like Spiderman with silver eyes. Looking for more of a white lens like in the comics and cartoons. Like I said I'm very picky and some what of a perfectionst. Not a good combo lol

Maybe you could try a mirrored motorcycle visor that you can cut your lenses out of and either use some white rit dye or white window tint.

I use Irish Linen. You can find it in your local craft store in the cross stitching section.
Airbrush or spray paint one side white and the other side black (looking through black side is easier for some reason)
redxeye.jpg

redxmask.jpg

Note this the white lens are a Contradiction. But then again I like my Spidey suit more like how it's really done in the comic and cartoons. But hay It's your costume.

Last edited:
I use Irish Linen. You can find it in your local craft store in the cross stitching section.
Airbrush or spray paint one side white and the other side black (looking through black side is easier for some reason)
redxeye.jpg

redxmask.jpg

Really good idea. I'll take a look into the craft store here in town to see if they have any of that linen

I'm putting together a Spectacular Spiderman cartoon costume (pattern done by Sonjou) for Halloween. I've search the threads many times on what material people use for the lenses. I will say I'm a pretty picky person when it come to making things and want the eyes to look perfect. I've seen people use frying pan splatter screens, metal coffee filters, Buckram etc..... but I'm looking for something that is finer then those. I came across a site that sells a lot of different wire mesh, but not sure what's the best diameter to choose. Does anyone have any idea on which diameter would be best or any other material thats finer then the ones I stated above?

I'm making raised lenses from plexiglas and putting a fabric mesh under the plexi, with the lenses secured to a face shell by magnets. Do you know what type of plastic the frames you got are?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back