Spider-Man on an Amazing budget.

WebSlingingHope

I have WAY too many projects I'm working on, aren't I? [emoji23] [emoji23] I am honestly not sure if that could be considered boldly or stupid. Anywhore, your friendly neighborhood 15 (Yes, birthday baby!) year-old cosplayer is back at it once again with the most homemade costume imaginable. Like.. You don't even know.

The process so far was that I took two old shirts, (red + blue, respectively) and cut up the blue shirt as it was extremely oversized.

uploadfromtaptalk1430791449546.jpeg

The blue surprisingly turned out well, or dare I say, spectacular. Then, I cut out a spider from a foam sheet. I wanted this costume to represent something, that if you were to compare it to one of the Avengers costume, there would be an incredible difference.

Going into more detail, I was inspired by Ditko's original costume, (armpit webbing and small eyes) but hopefully spinning a modern take on it, as I too am excited for what Marvel Studios has in store.

uploadfromtaptalk1430791764070.jpg

I recently started working on the stitching about 30 minutes ago? And I am extremely pleased with what my huge hands did.

One flaw I encountered was when I did I test fitting, it was extremely tight to where the blue was stitched. If someone can help me with what I did wrong, that'd be incredibly helpful. Also, I am seriously considering if I should hot glue the fabric on or continue stitching, what do you guys think? While I'm at it, I want this costume to be grounded enough, do you think I should puffy paint it too?

Thanks again you guys,
You rock! [emoji4]

Nice work so far,but keep in mind that puffy painting will only make it tighter.
I hope your projects will be a huge success:thumbsup (and happy belated birthday!)

Are you hand-stitching, or machine-stitching? If you're using a sewing machine, you will need to use a zig-zag stitch (or another type of stitch that will stretch when the fabric is pulled). If you're using a straight stitch, it won't have any stretch to it and therefore the fabric won't be able to stretch where the seams are because the stitching won't stretch. Google some tutorials about what types of stitching you can use on stretch fabrics to keep them stretchy. I don't know enough about hand-stitching to offer advice on how to make stretchable stitches - see if you can find any tutorials. I know stretchy thread exists, but I've never personally tried it. Good luck!

Are you hand-stitching, or machine-stitching? If you're using a sewing machine, you will need to use a zig-zag stitch (or another type of stitch that will stretch when the fabric is pulled). If you're using a straight stitch, it won't have any stretch to it and therefore the fabric won't be able to stretch where the seams are because the stitching won't stretch. Google some tutorials about what types of stitching you can use on stretch fabrics to keep them stretchy. I don't know enough about hand-stitching to offer advice on how to make stretchable stitches - see if you can find any tutorials. I know stretchy thread exists, but I've never personally tried it. Good luck!
I am hand-stitching actually, and for the stitch I'm using something my Home Ec teacher taught me last year. Now I know you're thinking how legit it is, but I think it's pretty top notch. (Pardon my slang) it's helped me with a lot of previous repairs and stitching, I'm not sure how good my word is for it but still.

So I messed up... Inevitably. The shading of the blue is wrong and the way I attached it (hot glue [emoji19] [emoji19]) was all confuffled. - Is that a word? I'll try and find a way to fix it but this is just a mistake thats kind of stopped me.

uploadfromtaptalk1431489282648.jpg

You've heard my story, tell me yours.

uploadfromtaptalk1432868043668.jpg

Hey guys so major updates! I'm pretty much done with the upper portion of the costume, I just need to paint some highlights (Inspired by Iracel) and rearrange the mask a bit. I've been contemplating on adding some web-pits but I have no idea how I would do that. I've also built some web shooter props to go under the gloves and I'm thinking of creating the belt as well and store some "cartridges".

Feedback greatly appreciated!
.... Now onto the legs and boots....

uploadfromtaptalk1432868229144.jpg
(Ignore the Marvel Legends)

uploadfromtaptalk1432868310956.jpg
Stick 'em powers.

Weeeeell hellloooo there! I'm back at this thread again with some updates, nothing too grand yet though. I have the tights and boots now, as well as made a bit of modding on my own. I'm not so sure how well you can see it, but the tights are definitely blue. Also, I lost my glove earlier in the week but strangely enough I found it in the park? Egh, I don't know where this thread is going - I made the back spider though! There's definitely an Iracel homage to my back while trying to make it my own somewhat. Anyways, I'm still contemplating what I should add here and there to make it the most Spectacular, Amazing, and definitely Ultimate suit it can be.

Til then, Spidey out!
uploadfromtaptalk1434305002143.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1434305127413.jpg

OH OH! ARMPIT WEBBING!! IF SOMEBODY COULD POINT ME IN THE WRITE DIRECTION ON HOW TO DO IT OR SOME OTHER COSPLAYERS DOING IT THAT'D BE AMAZING.

Awesome looking results man. Here's mine that I made from long sleeved shirts and leggings
_DSC0341.jpg_DSC0343 copy.jpg

Only problem with mine is that the belt's waaaaaaay too thin and the boots are sinking a bit low. But still, I'm happy with my first Spidey suit. :)

Awesome looking results man. Here's mine that I made from long sleeved shirts and leggings
View attachment 489391View attachment 489392

Only problem with mine is that the belt's waaaaaaay too thin and the boots are sinking a bit low. But still, I'm happy with my first Spidey suit. :)
That's bloody brilliant! Funny enough I was thinking of doing the TASM2 suit but I decided a more traditional route. I don't think your belt looks TOO thin, I think it's perfect! What was the process of building it like? [emoji4]

That's bloody brilliant! Funny enough I was thinking of doing the TASM2 suit but I decided a more traditional route. I don't think your belt looks TOO thin, I think it's perfect! What was the process of building it like? [emoji4]

I did a thread on that. it was pretty tiring since i handstitched everything. But pretty worth it in the end. :)

Uh am I doing something wrong? Normally a lot of people here have busy threads and I'm here feeling like a lone wolf - not sure if that's a good feeling to have. Anyways here's some more pics if you're interested, the suit is done and I'm still not sure if I wanna add a belt and such. Maybe I should velcro the belt to the tights so that it doesn't look as off.
uploadfromtaptalk1436938695464.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1436938730619.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1436938764459.jpg

Nah, you're not doing anything wrong. I got the same problem lol. Probably because the Spidey time has passed already, and everybody's not as interested in Spidey suits as they were before. Maybe when the MCU Spidey's suit is revealed, you'll get to see people looking up Spidey suit threads.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back