Spider-Man: Homecoming

Re: New Spider-Man Movie in MCU (July 28, 2017)

Pretty much best case scenario right there. Spidey gets to join the MCU and we don't have to wait until the 2020's to get more (and probably better) Spider-Man movies.

Makes me wonder if Fox will consider doing similar with their X-Men and soo-to-be Fantastic Flop movies.

I honestly didn't think I'd ever see this happen. Here's hoping it's the first step to Marvel getting the rights back entirely. :)

'Spider-Man' Swings to Marvel Studios in Major Sony Partnership - The Hollywood Reporter

I had issues with the Amazing Spider-Man movies especially the second one but I was hoping they would bring Andrew Garfield back.

Despite him being more Ultimate universe Peter than the 616 Marvel universe Peter, I think he did good with the role. But looks like he is not expected to reprise the character.

And from the article:

"To make room for Spider-Man, Marvel has pushed back a number of its films.

Thor: Ragnarock has been moved to Nov. 3, 2017 from its July 28, 2017 date. Black Panther will now open July 6, 2018, moving from Nov. 3, 2017. Captain Marvel moved to Nov. 2, 2018 from July 6, 2018, while Inhumans is slotted for July 12, 2019, from its original Nov. 2, 2018 date."

I wonder how the pushback of Inhumans affects Agents of SHIELD.

I tend to agree, Vivek. I detested the movies as a whole, but I thought Garfield and Emma Stone did fine jobs as Peter and Gwen... and it's quite obvious that Garfield absolutely loved being Spider-Man.

hallelujah-the-secret-30224016-500-366.jpg

Imagine the possibilities, the Hulk crossing paths with Spider-Man like in the comics. It could to be so awesome and hilarious :D.

I currently have no names in mind for fan castings, but it needs to be someone young definitely below their 20s.

I tend to agree, Vivek. I detested the movies as a whole, but I thought Garfield and Emma Stone did fine jobs as Peter and Gwen... and it's quite obvious that Garfield absolutely loved being Spider-Man.

Totally agree. Garfield and Stone were great in their roles, but unfortunately they weren't given good movies.

The thought of Cap, Iron Man and Spidey all together in Civil War is pretty much nerd nirvana(or nerdvana if you will). :lol

I'm so tired of standalone Spidey movies. The first two Raimi movies were pretty good. Everything since then has felt either mishandled and/or just unnecessary.

I would totally vote to leave Spidey in a smaller supporting role in the bigger Marvel universe for a while.

Spidey in the Marvel Universe is a great thing, but I hate that Garfield is getting screwed here. He loved the character and did a great job portraying him (far better than Maguire did), it wasn't his fault that one of his movies was mediocre, and the other abominable.

have not been more excited since seeing the ad for Spiderman 2 :D! soooo awesome

This is HUGE. I agree, I hope he is going to be in Civil War.
I was under the impression Garfield didn't want to do anything beyond a third movie. Hopefully they will offer him a shot at this.
Definitely agree Disney and Fox need to work something out to get X-men or at a minimum Wolverine into the MCU.
Ideally, a deal that would bring us World War Hulk would be a dream come true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not as optimistic about this news as I should be. One of the cool things about the Marvel Cinematic Universe was how it was giving the not so popular characters their moment in the spotlight. Even the ones that on face value looked incredibly silly like Captain America and Guardians of the Galaxy were huge critical and financial successes. And they did it on their own!

My biggest fear about this deal is that Spiderman will now become the Wolverine of the MCU. Since he's such a popular and successful character that everyone loves, every other character is going to be pushed aside to accommodate him. And I'm not just talking about pushing the release dates of other characters here, I'm talking the roles the original and potential future MCU characters were going to play.

We'll see what happens. I'm not saying this is wrong, I just I hope they don't screw it up for everyone else. And hey! If it does turn out great we'll finally have something to be thankful for when it comes to Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman. Without them making a mess out of Spiderman this probably never would have happened.

Hopefully it won't come to that. Iron Man is the star of MCU and Marvel has moved beyond his solo films. Also Sony still holds stakes in Spider-Man and even if it reaches a point Marvel acquires the character completely, Marvel has proven with GOTG and their upcoming slate that the MCU will continue to evolve with more new films of lesser known characters.

I wonder if this now opens up the possibility of Spidey and Daredevil sharing the screen at some point. Perhaps during season 2 or 3.

Last edited:

Punisher is also a good cameo...
But Spidey should stick to his lesser known counter parts to boost their image like Falcon was in CA:WS.

I'm excited because I think this will only bolster the quality of the Spidey films. Steel sharpening steel, etc, Etc...

If spiderman unmasks it will mean nothing without a JK Simmons reaction shot.

Wow, I for one, find this to be terrible news. They should have either have gotten the full rights back or leave it the hell alone. Spiderman doesn't need to be in the MCU if it's going to be on Sonys term. If Sony will continue to finance, distribute, own and have final creative control of the Spider-Man films then you can bet they will bitch about every decision... you all saw the emails. I personally don't think this will end well for the MCU, specially concidering that Sony can now use MCU figures.

Another negative aspect from this deal is that now Marvel will never fully have creative control over Spidey. They will never get the rights fully back. If Disney had waited, eventually Sony would have given up on Spidernam (considering they cant make a good movie to save their lives) and they rights would revert back.

My only hope is that Sony keeps it's mouth shut and let Marvel do iIt's thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back