Speaking of Phasers...

MattMunson

Master Member
Here's a new addition to my site:

phaser_b.jpg

This is a fan built replica of the "Dustbuster" Phaser seen in the early seasons of Star Trek: The Next Generation. This was built using a roddenberry.com kit, which is/was made from original studio molds and castings. The electronics were provided by the same individual who produced numerous electronics packages for the various post-TOS Trek shows.
So essentially, this is as close as one could hope to get to owning a screen used piece, or made for production piece without paying the price.

The paint used on this is the exact same paint used on the ones for the show, Krylon Dove Grey, which has since been re-dubbed Krylon Stone Grey. I believe it has been reformulated again just recently, though the actual color remains the same. It also includes a "mist" of silver. The emitter tip is painted with the correct Tamiya paint, whose color code eludes me at the moment. However, it is the same paint used in the emitters of the cobra-head phasers, if you care.

The emitter is cast (or "casted" for those of you who don't know how to properly use the English language) in a clear, tinted resin, and painted with a coat of Krylon semi-flat black. The emitter holes were masked off so that once the paint was dry, the masking was removed to reveal the tinted resin underneath. This way, when you press the "Fire" button, the lights within illuminate the tip, but only through the masked windows. Very nice effect. The emitter actually includes two different lights, that behave differently when the fire button is pressed. One kind of flickers, whereas the other one turns on and then sort of fades out. Very nice effect.

The control panel is also much more accurate to the ones seen in the show than other replicas offered, even those offered by rodd.com. The control panel is actually a flat graphic. There is an opening cut in it to reveal the light bar. The buttons to increase or decrease power are actually pieces of styrene underneath the graphic. So the control panel is smooth to the touch, just like in the show.

The phaser also has an overload setting. When you step the power up all the way to the right, it enters overload mode. The display lights do some trippy display, while the power sound revs up. Ultimately, a small explosion noise is heard, though the phaser does not actually explode.

On a personal note, this is another one of those pieces that I have been searching for since the show aired way back in, what was it, 1987? I saw the dustbuster on screen and thought it was really cool. Many people thought the phaser design was stupid looking, as it resembled the Dusbuster cleaning product. Well, yeah, it sort of does, but oh well. Anyhow, I wanted one of these for years and years. Over the years, I've come across a few different kits, seen a few different pieces, and even purchased a made for production (but repainted by a fan) piece that is now in my collection. However, none of them come close to this piece. It's from legitimate molds, and has a beautiful build up, with kick-ass electronics. A wonderful end to a 19 year quest. oy.

Though I myself am not a fan of the Dustbuster Phaser , It is a great looking build you have there.

Congratulations on your new acquirement.

Rod.com does put out some fine reproductions, IÂ’ve build several myself.

Bye for now
Al

Originally posted by MattMunson@Jan 9 2006, 12:48 PM
A wonderful end to a 19 year quest. oy.
[snapback]1154532[/snapback]​

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race”
-Calvin Coolidge

Congratulations. I have to admit I'm one of those who never really cared for the "dustbuster phaser", but I love seeing determination pay off.

Thanks for the kind words and support guys. I must say that I too am a big fan of persistence. Over the past two or three years, things have paid off that I've been determined to get or do for a number of years. Screen used tricorders, all kinds of phasers, MR stuff... it's just coming out of the wood work. It's a good time to be alive. And be Matt Munson.

Congrats Matt.

Your collection is strong like bull.

One down, eleventy billion to go, eh?

:angel

It's a good time to be alive. And be Matt Munson.
:lol

Great looking phaser. Whenever I feel the need to be jealous, I pay a visit to your site. You've got a great collection, and I love the write-ups you do for them.

Originally posted by moffeaton@Jan 9 2006, 06:21 PM

One down, eleventy billion to go, eh?

Getting closer every day.

I think my overall scheme is to have one representation of every significant variation of both phaser and tricorder in my collection. TNG through ENT. While TOS still has a place in my heart, I don't feel the completist compulsion when it comes to TOS stuff. Dunno why, it just isn't there.

So that leaves a few more phasers here and there, and a few tricorders. I'm definitely more than half way there, so that's pretty cool. I have really enjoyed the current "phasers" thread running on the forum, as it shows some really great chronology, and gets me motivated to fill in the gaps in my collection. For the most part, I either already own an unbuilt kit, or have a line on a build up somewhere.

Now tricorders are another creature. There's SO many variations out there, I'm going to have to really pick which ones I want to pursue. I think I'm missing about six or seven at this point.

And thanks to everyone for the kind words. i'm glad the write ups are pleasing. I usually get a real kick out of putting them together, as there's usually an interesting story behind each piece. Well, *I* think it's interesting :) I also like putting a few pieces of reference in each write up, like the paint codes, or when a particular prop was used etc. I'd love to see a difinitive and easy to read chronology of all phasers. Phasers.net does a pretty good job, but it doesn't account for overlap between the various series.

I'll be adding another phaser to the website later today, so keep yer eyes on this thread.

Nice phaser. I used to HATE the dustbuster phaser, but it has grown on me since I got the TNG DVD Collection. Just not my favorite design, but a great replica of it.

jhusel

Great phaser Matt. I too have always had a love for the Dustbuster. It some how reminds me of the Buntline Special revolver supposedly used by Wyatt Earp to whack drunk cowhands over the head. With the Dustbuster built the way it was, you could certainly do that. :)

Originally posted by trekkieb47@Jan 9 2006, 09:18 PM
I envy you sir.

Bah, nothing a bunch of money and 19 years of your life couldn't get ya.. :) Then again, for every person that envies me, there's probably a few thousand nice young ladies who laugh out loud at me for my dedication to these hollow pursuits. Oh well. Like I always say: Girls come and go, but phasers are forever.

Did I really just type that? Please tell me that google doesn't index our posts.....

here's the last addition for the day:

pistol_b.jpg

really crappy picture, but a really beautiful phaser. Best looking phase pistol I've ever seen. Great paint job, brilliant casting.

Very nice stuff, Matt...as always. I'm not a big fan of the dustbuster myself, but you gotta respect a great build up. Good stuff.

Sean

Another nice piece. Excellent phaser pistol. That one I wasn't keen on, but then it grew on me when I thought of how the phasers changed from series to movies to series. Sort of reminded me of the earlier (later? :p) Assault Phaser.

Yup, the phase pistol took a while to grow on me too. It really does NOT fit with the continuity, but then again, that was never Enterprise's strong suit. Ultimately, I think it's an interesting piece. Not a very practical design, but as far as science fiction "ray guns" go, it's a doozy.

Originally posted by MattMunson@Jan 9 2006, 04:30 PM
Oh well. Like I always say: Girls come and go, but phasers are forever.
[snapback]1154758[/snapback]​

I hope Mrs. Munson does not read this. :p ;)

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back