SpankyGNARKILL's First Mask Paintup!

spankygnarkill

Hey There guys, been absent from the lair for a bit of time, and decided to come back big! I finally got around to painting the mask Casey(Biohunter) sold me WAAAAAAYYYY back in March. So here it is in all its semi-glory. It was my first time working with an airbrush/latex paints, so it was a new, but thoroughly enjoyable experience. I still have to work a few details and seal it, so any hints/suggestions/criticisms will be taken as they come.

Anyway enough of me blabbing about it, here's the pictures.

Here's a front view
IMG_1895.jpg

Heres a side
IMG_1896.jpg

Here's the other side
IMG_1898.jpg

And here's the backside
IMG_1897.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Dave

EDIT: Here's it with the dreads in

IMG_1901.jpg

IMG_1902.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

IMG_1896.jpg

IMG_1898.jpg

IMG_1897.jpg

IMG_1901.jpg

IMG_1902.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

Wow, that's an awesome paint up dude, I love how the tones blend in nice & smoothly. Throw some dreads on that sucker & you're ready man, good luck with the suit!

I like it but in my opinion I think it looks just a little 2 D. I would suggest putting some spots in there and fading them in as you put more layers on the mask. But who gives a damn what we say the only thing that should matter is that you like it.

I like the fire crackle-style finish on it. I have a friend who owns a guitar like that.

I was thinking, like Garo Predator was, that it should have more spots on it. Maybe it doesn't need as many as I put on my first mask, but it could use more spots on the top of the head. It's your mask and your vision, though, so don't feel obligated.

Looks really good for a first attempt! But I agree with Garo that it looks a little 2D. I would suggest putting some darker tones in the folds of the cheeks and the wrinkles on the head. I've never airbrush but I paint digitally so I'm sure it works the same way. Most things should have three types of color, midtones (regular skin color), lightones (highlights) and dark tones (shadows). Hope that helps. If that's your first then you will only get better :)

Thanks for all the comments guys, Im really happy with the way it turned out, So happy I already sealed it and dreaded it. Oh well. I'll take all the advice into account whenever I do another head, I think after I get this full costume done, I'm going to start crafting a P2 Borg costume, cause I don't think there are any on here. Glad everyone likes it!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back