Some recent SCARECROWS

GhostCinderella

Been a while since my last visit.... been busy in my basement.

Here's some of my latest pieces.

StitchedFace-1.jpg

Stitchfacesmall-1.jpg

PlaidMouthsmall.jpg

DSC00904small-1.jpg

CemetaryScarecrowsmall.jpg

For a Hamilton Tiger Cats fan.

TigerCatMask1.jpg

Hewitt1medium.jpg

Hewitt2small.jpg

Thanks guys.
Actually the trickiest one to make was the Tiger Cat mask, because of the fangs.

Being the lazy, cheap, fast-road-is-the-best-road bugger that I am.... instead of sculpting, molding and casting fangs (which would have severely killed my pay cheque check on this - $200), I went to a hardware store and picked up a solid plastic three-pronged gardening tool for $5. Cut off the outer prongs, filed angles to the ends, drilled holes, bolted them to a tiny piece of sheet metal and epoxied 'dem bitches down, with cheese cloth and more epoxy to hold them. I got really lucky on the lay too.... both are EXACT, and rest forward with each tip touching simultaneously. A miracle, considering sculpting clay was used to support them during the curing phase. The front teeth weren't as tricky thankfully.

DSC01118.jpg

i feel sorry for the person who has to go into your basement to get more beer, they would scare the crap out of any grown man giving a dark/quiet night

terrifyingly good

These are incredible! I LOVE these masks, the creativity and imagination is outstanding! I'm also curious what you use to make the burlap hold it's shape like that, and be more ridged. Are these wearable? And also, are these available to buy?

These are incredible! I LOVE these masks, the creativity and imagination is outstanding! I'm also curious what you use to make the burlap hold it's shape like that, and be more ridged. Are these wearable? And also, are these available to buy?

There are various ways to make rigid the burlap depending on the type of mask. For this mask, the first of two layers of burlap ( a thick dense weave as seen on the shots above) is initially adhered to the tiger face sculpt (done in hard Chauvent clay) with latex - a coat on the sculpt and light coat on the burlap. But this doesn't anchor the burlap into hard to reach places like the crevices around the nose. A modeling tool and instant Crazy glue are then used to slowly work the burlap into those tight places, inch by inch. The crazy glue hardens the burlap solid btw. The second layer of garden variety burlap is applied using spray glue. I used the lighter burlap because another layer of the dense burlap (cut from a factory coffee bean sack) would have obscured the sculpt. You'll notice that even after the first layer, I used putty to build the nose back up to make it pronounced.

After the 2nd layer, you can use a shellac and then resin... resin first will only lift up the spray glue burlap and give you trouble.

For this particular mask, I think a second layer of brushed on resin would have been good; not for hardening purposes, but to fill some of the burlap weave a little better. This is seen in the white cheeks especially.

But nevertheless, the mask is fully wearable, and quite solid, like a hockey mask.

DSC01241small.jpg

This is very cool work dude. Are you on FB? Hit me up? There are a couple of art groups that would love your work.:)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back