Some model kits from photos in ILM shop

Kit bashed, they are on the mandibles of the 5' Falcon.
5-foot-cockpit.jpg

Thanks. That pic helped confirm that there's a good chance it was this AMT Kenworth kit which can be seen on the back shelf used on the Jedi Remote. It's been re-released in the last few years so that's real handy.

All the build guides for the remote suggest it was this Kenworth T-600, however that wasn't released until 1990. I know, there's a good chance all the rims are the same... but I don't want to buy all the kits to find out.

1658629109028.png

F
Thanks. That pic helped confirm that there's a good chance it was this AMT Kenworth kit which can be seen on the back shelf used on the Jedi Remote. It's been re-released in the last few years so that's real handy.

All the build guides for the remote suggest it was this Kenworth T-600, however that wasn't released until 1990. I know, there's a good chance all the rims are the same... but I don't want to buy all the kits to find out.
View attachment 1600975
For what it's worth, I used the Kenworth W-925 version.
Not sure if that kit had already been released in the late '70s, but it has all the greeblies you need to build the training remote.

Was just wondering. When these guys from ILM went to the hobby shops in 1976, guessing that they probably bought everything in bulk. Were the store owners happy they made so much money, or annoyed that everything was bought out at once, or both?
Or did they buy direct from the model comapnies. Not really sure.
I always pictured them going and clearing the place out. Almost like a robbery, but they paid for it, and the model parts gets used in Star Wars.
Anyone know anymore details on that?

Was just wondering. When these guys from ILM went to the hobby shops in 1976, guessing that they probably bought everything in bulk. Were the store owners happy they made so much money, or annoyed that everything was bought out at once, or both?
I always pictured them going and clearing the place out. Almost like a robbery, but they paid for it, and the model parts gets used in Star Wars.
No, but if they had dropped any kits on the way back to their truck, i would have been happy to, er...help them pick them up. :D

I think all the anecdotes, crazy characters and epic stories about the making of Star Wars' models and special effects at ILM would make for a great "American Graffitty"-style movie.
I imagine they'd just go every other day to the hobby shop and purchase just a couple of kits at the time. For no reason, really, just to see the look on the clerk's face when he has to sell the 20th Leopold Gun in the same week.
They sure must have had great fun!

Story goes that on 2001 the vfx guys and/or producers visited the International Toy Fair in Nuremberg and cut a deal with some of the kit manufacturers there to get them in bulk for discount.

My understanding is that there was a wholesale model kit warehouse outlet not too far from ILM and they used to go round there and stock up with lots of kits at more reasonable prices they they would of got going to retail outlets. I guess it would have been a similar approach when they moved north and re-established ILM for Empire etc

My understanding is that there was a wholesale model kit warehouse outlet not too far from ILM and they used to go round there and stock up with lots of kits at more reasonable prices they they would of got going to retail outlets. I guess it would have been a similar approach when they moved north and re-established ILM for Empire etc
I think I remember Lorne Peterson saying that.

We have a different selection of greebles now…and I think it is good that they DIDN’T have the plethora of Sci-fi kits available in the 1980s-1990s. Perfect for the Trial of a Time Lord station…but not here:

One day, tank designers will use Star Wars kits for their greebles;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back