Solo: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

What did you think of Solo: A Star Wars Story?

• Total voters
Again, I really enjoyed it.
I find it puzzling that some folks said it was worse than The Phantom Menace. I didn't think I would ever hear THAT.

It's the pod racing man... some folks just get hard for the pod racing. Lets TPM edge out Solo in their books.

I understand it.

I watch Equilibrium every time I see it on TV; it's no winner in the grand scheme of things, charming perhaps, but not marvelous; but by god it's got the absurd gun-fu and pistol-whip drum solos in it that keep me transfixed.

Now having seen what they did with Samuel L Jackson in Captain Marvel makes you wonder if they considered just using Harrison.

So all of the things Han brags about in ANH about the Falcon and his efforts are just lies?

In the original film he says it may not look like much but she's got it where it counts because he's done a lot of special modifications himself. Implying that he's souped the ship up (like Bob Falfa in American Graffiti ) to be the fastest in the galaxy.

In Solo we find out the Falcon is fast because a Droid merged with the ships computer and that it looks like a piece of junk because Han decided to fly it so poorly that it gets trashed in the process, to the point that he spends the next 40 plus years doing repairs (they do repairs in TFA) .

It was bad enough that this movie was a checklist origin story but they did this too. Like they do with every movie that has come out since ROTJ and contradict the OT because they can't come up with something new to do with the story. Just recycle the same things over and over and over.

Again they are answering questions no one asked. Who cares how he got his gun? Who cares how the ship is the fastest in the galaxy? And why is Darth Maul still alive? So incredibly stupid. It's fill in the blank Mad Libs Star Wars.

Last edited:
Still doesn't that kind of detract from Han being a great pilot and being able to navigate what was thought to be impossible? Obviously you need to rely on your instruments but part of piloting is instinct.

Last edited:
I don't remember anything in the OT that ever said Han was a great pilot. On Yavin IV Luke said he was a good pilot, that's about it. Yeah, he went through the asteroids, but I don't remember anyone ever actually referring to him as a "great pilot."

I think it actually adds to Han’s character if he’s just a decent pilot, and that a lot of his boasting was just fish stories. The biggest grievance I have with the “backstory checklist” is that the Kessel Run has now been defined on screen instead of what always felt like a made up piece of jargon that he tries to pull a fast one on Ben and Luke with.

I don't think the Kessel Run takes anything away. Some of what Han says has to be true because he is acknowledged as a great pilot. I'm assuming that record would be known among smugglers so that if you tried to take credit you couldn't show up in those circles. Sort of like how it would probably be a bad idea to go around saying you're a Navy SEAL when that can easily be figured out.

The first time I tried to watch this I didn't get very far before the dialogue made me turn it off.
Saturday I was stuck in a guard shack for 9 hours with almost no traffic so my boredom got the better of me and I gave it a chance.
If Han wasn't a character and this was an unrelated heist movie that took place in the Star Wars universe it would be okay, not great but okay for a fun popcorn movie.
The fan service was WAY over the top for me, to the point that it took me out of the story quite a few times. It felt like the movie was winking saying "remember when x said x in the OT!?" Like it was written by a group of fans that each wanted come up with a "clever" connection to the OT and shoehorn it in whether it made sense or not.
That said, I don't think it was the Trainwreck (see how clever that is? ;) ) I was expecting (it subverted those). Woody did a good job with his character (they should have had Ted Danson do a cameo as the bartender), Emelia Clarke was enjoyable and I thought Glover did a good job as a young Lando. I'll even give the space squid a pass since this is supposed to be the SW universe that has established large creatures living in a vacuum.
The fan service was piled on but for me the most annoying was those stupid dice! That was clearly trying to tie the prequel to the ST, we never saw those dice in the OT but they seem to be significant in the ST (we're supposed to get an "ah-ha!" moment when they show up in solo I suppose). I thought hanging the lucky dice were too much of an "earth" thing in the ST but in Solo it felt like an American graffiti move when he hangs them in the speeder.
This could have been cool but it stumbles over the fan service every few minutes.

They were certainly there in ANH
E978047E-0122-4380-822C-0205A2FD320A.jpeg

That's surprising that I've seen it so many times and never noticed them or saw anyone do replicas in the past. Clearly a throw away set dressing thay somebody decided to retcon as something significant.

Weren't the dice there as a nod to American Graffiti? I think Falfa's car might have had dice on the mirror.

Originally roger Christian put fuzzy dice hanging from the 55 chevys mirror. It’s never on screen because someone apparently stole the dice.. that’s the story he says

I personally believe someone removed the dice so they weren’t in the way of the camera..

Roger passed this tradition over to the falcon

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back