Snowtrooper Commander Costume (de)Construction

Can't tell for sure from the pic, but I'd guess that the little red and blue squares on the chest are the same rubber 'feet' that appear all over ESB props including the AT-AT helmet forehead.

They're all over the compads, headset comlink, electrobinoculars, DH17s etc...

commander3.jpg

1. The same small dimple you see on the snowtrooper helmets. As MonCal said, could be a brass binding post.

2. Two red and two blue LED caps?

3. Is this the same TK thermal detonator?

5. Commander carries a gun in a white holster. Any idea which gun?

As this is my current project in progress, allow me to chime in :

Response to Q1 : I have done some study on my DVD screen shots and it appears that the Snowtrooper Commander Helmet is the only helmet seen with the nipple (which have been discussed in the 501st Legion forum Costuming and in the 501st Blizzard Force forum)

Response to Q2 : Yes it is as they appear on screen. I'm using the Imperial Officer Rank Badges that I've purchased from Corellian Exports for mine.

Response to Q3 : Appears to be since the crisp & clear pictures have yet to turn up. I'm using the Thermal Detonator from my FX Stormtrooper Armor for my costume project (since Sandtroopers won't be needing them anyway :lol)

Response to Q5 : After much study from the available sources, it is possible that it a TESB styled DL-44 blaster. I'm converting my Vintage KENNER Han Solo Blaster with these additional machined Aluminium and resin casted parts as my *Side Arm* :

BlasterandConvParts.jpg

Yes, the 'snow scout' looks pretty darned cool. Just mix and match some parts from two different costumes. Who currently sells the best badges? it looks like one row of 2 red and one row of 2 blue. This looks like it'll be my excuse to finally get a 'solo type' blaster!

P.S. Does anyone know where the new armored calvery detachment website is? I just have the address for the old one which is dead - http://gloryandthegold.com/acd/forum/

I thought the Snowtrooper blaster was a "Merr Sonn" style blaster? Seems plausible since Imperials and bad guys carried them. Certainly fits within the Mauser family.

Steve

I guess until clearer pictures are found, the gun could just about be anything. :) I don't know if the Laws kit comes with the rank plates or not, but if not, I'll take you up on your offer, Tambo. Thanks! They are on two aluminum plates with little brads in the corners:
rank.jpg

Thanks Chase, I figure the handguards are the same as the snowtrooper ones.

I thought the Snowtrooper blaster was a "Merr Sonn" style blaster? Seems plausible since Imperials and bad guys carried them. Certainly fits within the Mauser family.

Steve

Steve,

You are referring to the DL 44 Blaster in the "Merr Sonn" configuration, right? Like the one in this picture :

665336241_ed715878f7_o.jpg

and here is a screen shot of a Black uniformed Imperial Officer who was armed with the Merr Sonn type DL 44 on the First Death Star :

665336265_88fcaf1e97_o.jpg

I was thinking about this initially until I saw the external Gun Scope on the Right Hand Side of the Snowtrooper Commander blaster.

Yep...that's the blaster I was referring to. The "scope" may be the ribbed peices, but it's just too hard to be sure with the limited reference of that weapon in the Snowtrooper Commanders' holster.

More of a plausible probability if anything. Heck it could be an ANH resin stunt blaster for all we know:cool

Yep...that's the blaster I was referring to. The "scope" may be the ribbed peices, but it's just too hard to be sure with the limited reference of that weapon in the Snowtrooper Commanders' holster.

More of a plausible probability if anything. Heck it could be an ANH resin stunt blaster for all we know:cool

Thanks for your confirmation. :) Hopefully one fine day, more detailed pictures (if any) of the actual prop that was used for the Snowtrooper Commander costume will surface to see the light of day.

It is virtually impossible to bring the sleek looking Airsoft Mauser into Malaysia since it is illegal to import anything that resembles a weapon. Hence, I took the chance and brought in the second best alternative, which is the Vintage Kenner Han Solo Blaster that I'm be using to convert to the Blaster as seen on these existing Snowtrooper Commander prop pictures (which I have blown up in size for reference) :

Front View of Snowtrooper Commander Blaster on Holster

676432882_52500f32d4_o.jpg

Side View of Snowtrooper Commander Blaster on Holster

676432906_5364817351_o.jpg

The outline and profile of the external gun scope is evident in the second picture.

Last edited:
I agree .....there is defintely a scope there. We can toss out the Merr Sonn theory:)

In the second pic it looks like one of the "M" scopes, but in the first I'm not so sure. Would be kinda funny if they grabbed one of the Luke/Han blasters from ESB:lol

Hey, something I just noticed in those HD shots that I never knew. The commander has lines around the raised portion on the left side of his chest plate that the 3 red buttons usually go on:

chestdetail2.jpg

chestdetail1.jpg

I was wondering about those lines as well. Thanks for the caps RocKo, every little bit helps.

What about the metal discs on the side of the helmet? Are those similiar to the imperial disc seen on officer belts? Or is this a different part?

Very interesting.

So it looks like the Veers Helmet might actually have the "high-detail disk with notch" after all, unless that screen cap is playing tricks with my eyes. Or at least a solid disk with a notch. This is hard to figure out as most all the research on these types of helmets shows the disk to be a solid style (no outer grooves) with a larger center hole as well.

And yeah, the disk on the Snow Commander look to be thinner. Your guess on a 2 stepper sounds good to me. Probably the same diameter as the other disk.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back