Snowspeeder Filming Replica with Working Air Brakes

Hey guys, how's it going? Allan, coming along very nicely. It looks like you'll be ready for paint soon. I do agree with Allan on the removable panel on the canopy, I don't believe it is supposed to be flush. The way I see it is that the canopy itself is made of 1.5mm styrene and the removable panel is 2mm giving you a .5mm difference which accounts for the slight raise in comparison to the rest of the canopy. The reason I believe that was the intentional design is because of Rogue 2, whose panel does not seem to be removable nor can I see a mounting point on that model under that area. The panel seems to be a piece of styrene about .020" or .5mm just like the other armor overlays on the rest of the model. One other little observation. I know there is a lot of confidence in the 3D scanning equipment used to scan some of these models but as a 3D artist I can tell you they are not 100% accurate. What happens is that beams of light are pointed at the model and those points are translated to a point in 3d space on the computer. The next thing is the computer joins the points, kind of connect the dots like, to come up with a wireframe. The problem is there is quite a bit of interpolation the computer has to do between the dots, it basically guesses. Also some points intersect surfaces. It's difficult for the computer to read that. I found quite a few errors on the snowspeeder including the canopy, cannons, and there are quite a few more. Also interesting is that MR chose to make their model as the prop stands now, which is disappointingly, in bad shape. The top and bottom hulls are split open. MR decided to replicate this, their speeder is also split. There is also a missing panel on the rear next to the engine box on the left side, MR left that out. The harpoon gun is broken off but MR added one anyway which is totally incorrect. I'm assuming they just guessed at what it looked like. Also on the prop there are a couple of engine fins gone but MR added those. Time has not been kind to this model, Rogue 2 on the other hand is in good shape, probably explains why this model does the shows. Sorry for the long reply.

No, its good to hear the info Helio! I will agree the props condition today, is awful, the rear is missing lower fins too, and yes, the hulls have really parted company.
Not sure on the canopy panel though, its flush in one spot to my eye, and proud in another corner, just a case of bad seating, much like the B wing armature plug.

Lee

MR was directed to make what was "in" the archives... warts and all. Even if you made case that it "didn't used to be like that"!

MRREF---3239.jpg

Hi Moff I apologize if I offended you, I did not know that you or anyone here has a vested interest in the MR model. I don't want to get into a p****** contest with anyone here. I also don't doubt in anyway that the original was scanned in the creation of the MR speeder, but I am just coming out to say that just because it was laser scanned does not guarantee ultimate accuracy. Also, I did not know that there was a mandate to only replicate the model in the "as is" state. But the question then becomes why add the missing harpoon gun, which by the way was poorly executed on the MR, or why add the missing fins to the replica or the mounting cover panel on the bottom of the speeder which I have never seen and I believe that panel to be long gone, I don't think anyone has seen it since the filming of the movie, though this is just conjecture on my part. If this is in fact the case then the MR team just made that part up. Your justification also does not explain the glaring errors to the details that are present on the original. Check the attached pics for one example. Like I said I only started posting here in order to help out others who are also building a replica speeder, I I.D'ed most of the kit parts and have shared all of my findings with those interested. I can only defend myself by saying that I believe the MR replica for all it's advertisement for being "exact in every detail at 3/4 the scale", to be a poorly executed replica of the original. I don't necessarily think it's a bad model. I also have no issues at all with Master Replicas. As far as mass produced items go, they are quite good, better than anything that came before.

I should have added an apology to Allan in my post for derailing his build thread. Let's get back to that. Great work Allan, keep it coming.

Hey Telepathic, no worries. I don't consider it derailing, at all. This is the sort of conversation that I actually enjoy on these forums, as long as we all understand that the point is to learn as much as we can about the filming model. Jason provided a great archive of photo-ref and, IIRC, did the paint-ups for MR.

I did take a lot of the MR speeder dimensions as solid when developing scaled up drawings for some of my replacement parts, like the canopy (which you and I have already discussed). Not sure why I didn't trouble myself to compare against the reference. But, too late now. More apologies to Lee as the canopy dims I provided him are really ailing, now.

Anyway, the MR canopy is not representative of the Rogue Leader filming model. I understand what you're saying about the limitations of 3D scanning, but, I don't think all of the inconsistencies between the MR canopy and that of the filming prop can simply be attributed to computer error. The front top window is out of alignment with the rear top panel, as one example. Stuff happens during development that's completely out of the hands of some of the project participants.

No need Allan, im happy with what i have right now lol, theres always styrene at a later date, following you two will serve me well. Hey, lets face it, im way past the MR model, so ill call that a happy medium.
As ive said before buddy, this became a journey into painting, not build accuracy in the end, so i thank Jason for the chance to do maybe the most accurate paint thus far on this model, without that ref...... id have been stuck!

Lee

Not all all - I take no offense at all. Just wanted to let you know "why" MR did things the way they did. Believe me, no matter what happened, it was never something that sat well with everyone.

Oh yeah - and no matter what you send to China, they will arbitrarily change it. Happened with stuff I worked on at MR, Qmx, Palisades.... it's just impossible to get something made in a "toy" factory to tight tolerances that the RPF demands, apparently!

Meanwhile... the front prow has been bugging me on the kit. The model just doesn't look quite right without the seams on those front facets. So, I spent a little longer than I thought it would take and laminated a "facade" onto the front. Still need to add the "rivet" holes, or whatever they are. Hard to see as my camera doesn't focus well on styrene, but you get the idea.

Meanwhile... the front prow has been bugging me on the kit. The model just doesn't look quite right without the seams on those front facets. So, I spent a little longer than I thought it would take and laminated a "facade" onto the front. Still need to add the "rivet" holes, or whatever they are. Hard to see as my camera doesn't focus well on styrene, but you get the idea.

That i do like Allan, its something that bugs me on my model, i like the joins in that area, its one bit i got super nice on my styrene upper hull i have stashed away.

lee

Thanks, Michael...Lee.

Well, continuing on with the cockpit. I've spent way too many hours looking for kit parts that are little better than blurry shapes in the ref, so some concessions had to be made.

Finished the new bulkhead / seat (actually, it's more of a backrest - there is no seat in the filming model). The bulk head is entirely scratched and I found a total of 3 parts on the backrest, all on the starboard side bulkhead. Also tweaked the cockpit pilot instrument panel / dash. Not much to show for the number of hours spent...

Jason, not sure about the bubble-wrap...is that what the live action shots used? Lost...

Telepathic, yeah...I'm actually starting to see your interest in rendering the cockpit more like the live action full scale. The parts that I did find...it was kinda, "huh?, they used that?!"

Ah, well.

Ah. Couldn't be sure from the single live action c-pit shot I turned up with Google images. But, considering what the model shop came up with, bubble wrap was a step up!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back