Smoothing silicone mold interior with a second coat?

helix_3

I have a 3d printed master, don't require tight dimensional accuracy, but do want a nice surface finish. The master has deep pits that would be very difficult to properly sand.

Would it be possible to remove the 3D printing lines by creating a mold, and then applying a thin second layer of silicone to the interior? Just pour some in, rotate it around, then let it drain out.

This seems plausible in my head, but I wanted to do a sanity check before I experiment with some expensive rubber.

I don't think you would get a result you want. even filling one divot in a silicone mold will leave evidence on the cast. Rolling fresh silicone over a cured mold would likely result in a product devoid of detail. The mold will always only be as good as the master from which it is taken.

I think it would be better to fix you master. There are a number of things you can do to fill in the master and smooth it out. But if you can show a picture of the master, perhaps I or others could better suggest a method to fix your issue.

TazMan2000

can coat the master with a resin coat to fill in print lines - works well and is easily sanded to get a perfect finish - xtc 3d i think its called

Thanks everybody, I tried coating the inside of a clear disposable cup and silicone is just too thick to flow properly. I'll just sand the master, it's possible but I just hate the effort involved.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back