Smithsonian Saturn V Model?

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by Gary Weaver II, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Gary Weaver II

Gary Weaver II Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just found one up in the attic still in the box and everything. Anyone know what the value is for one of these now? Is this a repop of the Airfix kit?

-Gary

2. yodakiller1138

yodakiller1138 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's the same as the Airfix kit. Check Ebay. They are going for over 100.00 now. I just got 2 of them so I can do a SS Galactica. A few years ago they were selling for 40.00

3. star-art

star-art Sr Member

$100??? Holy Frak.. :eek I paid $20 for mine, sure wish I had bought more. This one is on more SS models than just about any other kit.

4. Boba Flint

Boba Flint Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yodakiller1138 @ Apr 22 2006, 09:26 AM) [snapback]1231096[/snapback]</div>

But did you read the auction. Those are orginal release kits/ boxes. Not the re-release Smithsonian or Airfix label.

5. swhite228

swhite228 Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boba Flint @ Apr 23 2006, 05:31 AM) [snapback]1231582[/snapback]</div>

But did you read the auction. Those are orginal release kits/ boxes. Not the re-release Smithsonian or Airfix label.
    [/b][/quote]

The price is still way up there.
    This kit is used all over the place like the Airfi Harrier and the Tamiya 8rad.

6. bcgd

bcgd Well-Known Member

Just to clarify the two kits in question are different scales. The Airfix is 1/144 and the Revell is 1/96.

7. swhite228

swhite228 Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bcgd @ Apr 30 2006, 10:30 AM) [snapback]1235965[/snapback]</div>
    Yes and No.
    The Airfix kit is 1/144
    Revell/ Monogram made both a 1/96 and a 1/144 scale Saturn 5. While the 1/144 kit was produced by Monogram, it has turned up in places in Revell boxes.
    Depending on the day and whose bidding this kit goes for $50+ on ebay

The 1/96 Sat5 was released as a Revell kit, and was re-released last year. It runs around $95.00 if you can find it in a shop, $100+ on ebay.

8. scotthothpatrol

scotthothpatrol Active Member

Did ILM use the Monogram 1/144 Saturn V or just the Airfix?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  9. y3a

y3a Well-Known Member

ILM built their own models. You ARE talking about Apollo 13?

10. scotthothpatrol

No i am referring to kits they used for kitbashing

11. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just the Airfix.

12. scotthothpatrol

thanks i guess i will sell my monogram kit

13. Matte Painter

Matte Painter New Member

14. star-art

star-art Sr Member

The re-issued Airfix kits up to and including the 1990s are the same as the vintage version, except for a different base. The most recent re-issue, however, was a partial re-tool. It still contains most of the same parts though.

edge10 likes this.
  15. scotthothpatrol

Thanks for the info that's interesting to know

16. ajmadison

ajmadison New Member

If my memory serves, Airfix corrected the woefully undersize CSM on the kit. This also modified the SLA which attached the SM to the S IV-B. But I do not recall any modifications to the rest of the kit. So for those of you looking to use the S-IC and S-II tank halves for various studio scale builds, you should be okay.