Sliders Original Timer Research Project

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by wGraves, Dec 28, 2005.

1. wGraves

wGraves Well-Known Member

Ok, I really want to get one of these things done, and want to make it as accurate as possible. If anyone has anything to add just add the info.

1)Base-
    Motorola Micro T-A-C Ultra Lite
    -Light Grey Model with Black Buttons

2)Buttons-
    Buttons from the Original Cell phone

3)Black Box-
    ?

4)Dial-
    ?
    -Thanks to Sith Sheriff Brody for the Concept Dial-
    [​IMG]

5)LED Digits-
    Possibly From www.allelectronics.com
    [​IMG]

6)Bargraphs-
    10 SEG. BARGRAPH, GREEN
    CAT# BG-10G
    [​IMG]
    http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/cate...-10G&type=store
    -Thanks To moviebuff5-

7)Dome on top of the Black Box
    Some type of a Desk Magnifier

8)Days Indicator LED Digits
    ?

9)Tau,Delta,Zeta LED's
    Rectangular LED's

10)Battery Spacer?
    I'm Unsure about this, it looks like theirs a spacer on top of the battery where it's connected to the phone base.

There is sometype of clear screen over the black box and where the bargraphs are located

[​IMG]

On the Black box there looks to be a notch where the dial starts at.

[​IMG]

Here's a Back view of the black box.

[​IMG]

Thats what I got for now.

2. jedi knight

jedi knight New Member

As I recall the number led's and the bar leds were sold at radio shack along time back, unfortunatly from what I've been hearing and seeing radio shack it going from electronic parts store to more of a cell phone, TV outfit. I'm sure all the Leds can be found online along with the phone. I've seen many of thoes phones on ebay lately. As for the black box it looks like it's just a small project box. Hope some of this helped. I know this project has been done before on here. As I recall the other timer used by the alian dudes, can't remember thier names but it was made from a Sega controler or somthing.

3. moviebuff5

moviebuff5 Well-Known Member

Here is a site with the 10 segment green LED bar and numbers.

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/cate...=345&type=store

The dial could be off a small multimeter.

For the screen it looks like frosted Acetate with reversed dry transfer letters, mask off the led areas and then spray with black paint.

The Sega controller uses the Mad Catz or High Frequency model.

4. Capt MarVell

Capt MarVell Well-Known Member

Wow, that's some good pics. Clearer than anything I've seen previously, anyway, IIRC. Screengrabs from the DVDs? I've got one of the phones that I wanted to convert, but sort of gave up on it ages ago due to lack of enough clear source material. If there is a side shot, that would be very helpful. That back pic shows the cutoff of the antenna section better than any other pics I've got.

I'll have to look at my phone to compare about the "spacer" for the battery pack. Looks more like a simple poor fit to me, but I haven't seen my phone in ages.

The Tau/Delta/Zeta LEDs - could they have made windows over another bargraph LED? Positioning makes it look possible, and if you look at the closeup, it looks like there could be the edges of two LEDs showing. Just a thought.

Jim

5. wGraves

Here's Some pic's of the side of the timer in Season Two's Invasion. You can clearly see the black line betweek the battery and the phone. Also It looks like there is 2 switches on the side of the phone. In on of the pic's you can see the depth the dial is placed into the black box. I'll Let you guys be the judge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Capt MarVell

Thanks for the side pics. It does indeed look like there is a spacer. Never noticed that before. Oh well, I'm still going to drag my phone out and take a look...

Jim

7. wGraves

Anyone else have any more information? I also Noticed there was a small section of ribbon cable in the flap at the very bottom, when I get on my desktop, I'll post some screen caps. If anyone else has anything they wold like to share, please do. This is a really cool prop that needs to be done right.

-William-

8. wGraves

Here's The Ribbon cable shot.

[​IMG]

-William-

9. shuktuki

shuktuki Sr Member

10. Krel

Krel Sr Member

For some reason, the part with the dial switch reminds me of a volt meter I have seen.

David.

11. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It looks to me like the dial has some design around it.

[​IMG]

Like this:

[​IMG]

-Mike

12. Sporkey

Sporkey Well-Known Member

its actually a light, it lit up according to how far the dial was turned, it was supposed to represent the power setting the wormhole was at

13. wGraves

Here are a few more shots of the side of the timer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the pic above, you can see how the black box was made. The side is not flush it looks more of a stacked look.

-William-

14. jedi knight

jedi knight New Member

Almost looks like the box is somthing, like the dial wasn't added but part of it to begin with, judging by the side shots.

15. wGraves

Bump, anyone got anything else to add?

16. Neon Sentry

Neon Sentry Sr Member

Geez, this is what I miss when my comp explodes? C'mon people, I know you guys can identify these parts. I've been wanting Sliders props for years now. Make it happen, please???

17. Beagle Bill

Beagle Bill Well-Known Member

Any progress made lately?

18. Robot Monster

Robot Monster Sr Member

I just found my timer cellphone. It would be great to have this project going again. Does anyone here actually have the show prop?

19. Robot Monster

Robot Monster Sr Member

20. starfighter66

starfighter66 Well-Known Member

on the timer what is the black box? kinda looks like some type of voltage meter but I have been unable to find that part that size. also does anyone know where I can find the magnifier piece that is on the front? finding the phone was the easy part. has anyone done the graphic for the top front of the timer? below is the graphic on the flip part of the timer.
    here is a link for the front acrylic magnifier lens that should work, will know after buying one. http://www.independentliving.com/prodinfo.asp?number=104012
    [​IMG]

21. Robot Monster

Robot Monster Sr Member

I hope that site works out for you. Thanks for adding to the thread. This is a prop I really would like to have.

I have the base unit for the timer myself. anything else to add on to it would be great. That box and dial are the worst of the things to find for this prop I think.

Tek

22. starfighter66

Is anyone good at casting, that might be the only way to get the right piece for that one.

23. Robot Monster

Robot Monster Sr Member

24. Fyberdyne Labs

Fyberdyne Labs Well-Known Member

I just found this thread. I don't if this helpes or not. I have a couple of the correct phone. I am holding on to them sorry. But yesterday I seen a toy cell phone at a flea market looks like they just copy the phone buttons and all. It was $2 might be worth looking for if you can't find a real phone.
    Mark

25. nwjedidave

nwjedidave Sr Member

(skip read through the thread)

with that said

[​IMG]

looks to me like a motorola logo (at the pointer finger knuckle)

26. Capt MarVell

The phone is a Motorola phone, a MicroTAC UltraLite, if I remember correctly. And there is a toy phone out there that is just about an exact copy of the real phone. VERY close in size and details - I've got a couple of them as well as the real deal. I'll see if I can get a pic of the two side by side tonight.

Jim

27. Fyberdyne Labs

nwjedidave Wrote
    "(skip read through the thread)

with that said"

Is that aimed at me? I did read the whole thread, if it is. Maybe I didn't make my self clear. I don't have to find a phone I have 4 of them. And I have a box, button and clear piece on top. Actually I have everything but the electronic. The point of my post was that there is a toy phone out there nearly if not exactly the same as the cell phone. I thought I was helping but maybe I read you post wrong.
    Maybe I am no help here I will go back to lurking.
    Mark

28. Robot Monster

Robot Monster Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fyberdyne Labs @ Jan 31 2007, 10:22 PM) [snapback]1408887[/snapback]</div>
    No keep talking, I want to hear about your box and dial.

Tek

29. Thermalized Plastics

Thermalized Plastics Well-Known Member

I was going to keep it a secret... B) But I pulled out the old masters ( Timer from Sliders) and started retooling them for kits to sell. I'll keep you posted. :D If you want to see pics just let know.

Thermal

30. nwjedidave

nwjedidave Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fyberdyne Labs @ Jan 31 2007, 10:22 PM) [snapback]1408887[/snapback]</div>
    no Mark sorry I was vaigue. I meant that *I* skip read through the thread. ( I was at work at the time, on COMPANY time. LOL )

I was just trying to throw my $.02 in there but figured that someone already had confirmed the phone.

sorry about that.

31. Fyberdyne Labs

We are all cool. But if Thermal is making kits that might be what every one is looking for. I know he has the correct phone. His personal timer is just about perfect. The center knob needes remade. Maybe if the thread addresses size and shape. He could make that change. I would help. But that might be high jacking the thread.Don't want to do that.But wouldn't mind seeeing Thermal personnal timer.
    Mark

32. Capt MarVell

Here are pics of the real phone compared to the toy. I'd guess this is the same toy you saw Mark.

Real phone in the center, toys on either side.

Fronts, closed. Sizes are almost identical. Real phone has slightly more rounded edges than the toy. Earpiece is different, but it's going bye-bye anyway.
    [​IMG]

Fronts, open. Real phone's keypad lights up, toy doesn't. Different labeling, but the labels on the toy's keys basically have the same functions. Shapes of keys are reversed - real phone is rounded more on the bottom of the keys, toy is rounded more on top. Holes in hinge of toy need to be filled. Flip cover of toy is thicker, lacks plate near hinge.
    [​IMG]

Backs. Here's where the differences are greatest. Toy backs don't come off like the real phone's battery, and there are no seams, no contacts, or data connection. Moto logo on real phone battery, battery door on toy. Antenna fairing is bigger and thicker on toy.
    [​IMG]

Sides. Toy's buttons are plastic, not rubber, and are in the wrong places, upside down. Should be easy to switch. Toy's buttons are slightly shorter than the real phone, and details are just slightly different.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Back to back comparison. Real phone is about 1/16" thicker, and the flat of the back isn't as long as the toy.
    [​IMG]

And there are other subtle differences. Of course, if Thermal is making Timers again, all this is kind of moot... but I thought I'd post it anyway.

Jim

33. starfighter66

if thermal is making a kit, keep me posted - I want one......

34. Robot Monster

Robot Monster Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Thermalized Plastics @ Feb 1 2007, 01:13 AM) [snapback]1408984[/snapback]</div>
    Oh no I don't want to see pics at all... :unsure KIDDING...

Of course I want pics and I want to know details and price..

More info please...

Tek

35. starfighter66

you show pics of the toy phone but where did you get it?

36. Capt MarVell

Local toy store here in Cincinnati; specifically, Johnny's Toys in Greenhills. Got it at least a couple years ago, so I'd doubt they have any now. I might be by there Saturday looking for action figures, so I'll take a look while I'm there, see if they've got any, but I'm doubtful. You might check discount/dollar stores and flea markets, probably your best bets now.

Jim

37. wGraves

Wow, glad to see new life into this project agian. I'm having the hardest time finding the correct phone. Can't wait to see what everyone has to offer.

William

38. Fyberdyne Labs

The phone I seen looks like the black one. It was in a fea market but it is an hours drive from my house.
    There were a couple differant side rubber buttom. The one on the toy seen to be the one we most see on the timer. I have phone with both buttons. What does everyone else think. I guess if we are talking timers here some question:
    Which side rubber buttons?
    What size is the round knob on the front?
    How many number are in the L.E.D. display?
    Which timer would you like to see Replicated?I think they made a few and they are not all exactly a like.
    Thin battery or thick?
    What size is the black box?
    Does it matter if the motorola logo is on the battery or not?
    Ok that all I can think of right now.
    Mark

39. Robot Monster

Robot Monster Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fyberdyne Labs @ Feb 2 2007, 04:10 PM) [snapback]1410258[/snapback]</div>
    I would like something close to the timer in the first season.
    Don't care if Motorola is on it or not.

40. Capt MarVell

A detail I just noticed - If you look at the first, close-up screen shot in the beginning of the thread, and compare it to the pics of my phone/toys, the prop's side buttons are upside down from the unaltered phone. Notice the phone has the long portion of the button strip at the top, the prop has it at the bottom. A couple of the other shots seem to bear this out as well.

The toy is oriented correctly, just on the wrong side of the phone.

Did the first timer prop ever appear with a thin battery? I thought it was always the thick battery.

Jim

41. Thermalized Plastics

Thermalized Plastics Well-Known Member

Now remember I made these almost 8 years ago. WOW. I plan on reworking the molds to be a kit. No electronics. B) If someone would want to take on the job? maybe I can work something out. I have a lot of projects on the table at this time so I will work on Timer when I'm setting in the shop and watching silicone Dry or in between projects. So Here is a picture, Enjoy.

Thanks,
    Thermal

[​IMG]

42. wGraves

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Thermalized Plastics @ Feb 2 2007, 10:45 PM) [snapback]1410520[/snapback]</div>

I would be up for a kit. That does look great and I remember when those were poping up on ebay and everyone was going crazy.

William

43. Robot Monster

Robot Monster Sr Member

I would like one myself, electronics would be nice but I could muddle putting them in myself if I had too.

44. starfighter66

I am looking forward to your kit.

45. DemonSeed

DemonSeed Well-Known Member

someone please do a electronics kit....this prop just wouldnt cut it as static

46. starfighter66

47. exoray

exoray Master Member

If there is enough interest, commitment and support, I would be willing to design and do a screen accurate eletronics kit run...

Obviously the more the better, I can do a single one off kit as well but the cost will be MUCH higher then a run of multiple units...

48. starfighter66

interested for sure.

49. wGraves

50. TK648

TK648 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NightSeed @ Feb 3 2007, 01:11 AM) [snapback]1410787[/snapback]</div>
    What NightSeed said
    A static prop with out the eletronics inside...Why bother :(

I had a chance to get one of Thermals timers but I did not want to part with the cash
    at that time, Sorry I did not get it now.

Tk648