Sleepy Hollow (2013) Series Props

Making the Horseman’s Axe.
Found a real close to accurate replica toy costume axe on Amazon. It certainly needs work however I believe this is a great base to work off of. Issue- Handle is not even close-correction, wooden rod for closets is the perfect size.
The real Axe is smooth, not pitted. Need to fill in the pits and dimples.
Axe handle attachment is not pointed so I have to work on that as well.

IMG_2489.jpeg
IMG_2490.jpeg
IMG_2491.jpeg
IMG_2492.jpeg

Some updates
Moving along nicely after not being able to work on it at all.
The rod attachment I bought was too heavy and I wasn’t comfortable with it. I looked at PVC but ended up with a dowel purchased from Hobby Lobby. Fit perfectly on the blade. I also purchased matching grip tape and was able to install with no issues. I did have to taper the butt side attachment of the dowel for that part to fit. So far I’m really happy with these results. I shot a coat of filler primer on the blade to expose my new dimple areas that need to finish smoothing out.

I used a pipe cutter to etch my grooves in the handle and air dry sand able clay to build out the handle attachment to be more accurate. I will also coat with putty to harden it up a little .

Next steps are cleaning and sanding. Hopefully I will have the final finish ready and shoot this entire thing with primer

The original is a one piece mold of hard rubber anyway so this being painted and detailed all at once is how the original is anyway.
IMG_2961.jpeg
IMG_2946.jpeg
IMG_2964.jpeg
IMG_2967.jpeg
IMG_2968.jpeg
IMG_2969.jpeg
IMG_2970.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2962.jpeg
    IMG_2962.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
Finishing it up. It’s all painting now so I really didn’t keep a log for that part. I was going to stain the wood handle however I wasn’t able to match it up because the original prop is actually painted. I painted it instead and happy with the outcome.

Photo is missing the grips not attached yet
IMG_3004.jpeg

I'm now working on the War pistol. The same one Malcom uses to shoot crane and turn him into War.
Photos coming soon

Time for War :oops:
No not real War--This pistol unleashes the power of turning the one who gets shot into War. 1 of the 4 Horseman of the Apocalypse.

Of course, like every other franchise, they have to be difficult and have multiple versions of the same prop. Top photo is when Molly is starting her spell to destroy the weapon. Bottom photo is when Malcolm shoots Crane.

Whatever--why should this franchise be any different:D
800px-Sleepy-Hollow-Flintlock-silver-pistol.jpg

800px-Sleepy-Hollow-SilverFlintlockPistol2 (1).jpg

So, the base of this gun is from Traditions build it yourself kit. The same manufacturer that makes the pistol used for Blackbeard's pistol.
I shot some filler primer on and sanded the hell out of it. Then after watching some assembly videos I learned that this thing is very raw and needs additional sanding and shaping. I installed the finish pieces and went to town. Shot more primer on and will begin the sanding process all over again. Plan is to use Spaztix chrome to achieve this finish.
wm_16613241.jpg

I ran into paint drying issues but finally moved past that

Here’s my black base and my chrome coat

Still need to let sit a couple of days to clear coat
IMG_3126.jpeg
IMG_3128.jpeg
IMG_3127.jpeg
IMG_3131.jpeg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back