SKY-1, for fans of UFO

Spellbinder99

My latest aquisition, an almost flawless fibreglass molding of SKY-1 from the 1969 Anderson production UFO.
The maker got all the dimensions and contours straight off the studio scale SKY-1 owned by Phil Rae and also loaned me a bunch of detail pictures and dimensions he had taken.

This is a one-off item that was shelved as a project, so I am very happy to luck into buying it.

This was NOT molded off the original, but was made from custom molds. It measures over 2 feet long and needs items such as the canopy and engine/rocket pods made from scratch.
This was the largest of the effects models, a slightly smaller one being mounted on the front of a five foot long SKY-Diver combo and a smaller (about 2 1/2 foot) combo.

sky4.jpg

sky5.jpg

sky6.jpg

The majority of the hard work is done, but there is a lot of detailing and scratchbuilding to be done yet.

skyOne2.jpg

This is the slightly smaller effects model.

Should be fun.

Cheers

Tony

This is the Konami SKY-1 sitting on the model for comparison...

sizecompF.JPG

I have not heard GREAT reports about the larger SKY/DIVER combo available from Comet, needs a lot of work apparently...
icon_frown.gif

Thanks Dean, I have had a good long look at Martins' site a while back. His model is made of jetulong, a woood popular with model and pattern makers, but is a very nice job. The maker of this molding scratchbuilt a set of patterns to make this molding with direct reference to the original studio model. He loaned me 40 clear pictures of the original as well which are now scanned into my computer (with his permission)

The job he has done is spot-on to the original in contour and size, so the remaining scratch building of details will be an interesting task.

Cheers

Tony

I'm almost done rewatching this series (I've had to rent it from Netfilcks- can't find it in stores) - so it's great to see this. Fantastic work! Love to see the finished piece.

I wanna make the S.H.A.D.O sign - the one you see when Stryker gets out of his elevator, into the base.

Dean, I will ask, but I am pretty certain this is a one-off. The maker got this far and then shelved it as he apparently wanted to make the entire SKY/Diver combo to studio scale....about five feet long!!....and this is marginally bigger than the SKY on the larger combo, so he started again.
I think this has been sitting around for a few years in this state.

Thanks for the compliments, but so far I have done nothing but unpack it. The surface finish is super, the slots you see are the start of making the scallops behind the nose intake. Before shipping it, he took the time to lay in extra layers of glass cloth inside the wing to fuselage joint so it would weather the trip OK, which it did. All in all, it is a very sturdy, well made molding.

Zaphod, I have seen drawings of that sign around, it would look cool.

Cheers

Tony

Wild find.
I bought one of those Imai kits, and the nose was about 50 percent oversize. I ended up scratching half the kit.
Now build a Diver to match!

Sky%201.jpg

Can anyone who knows models have a look at this picture and tell me if they recognise the bulge on the side of SKY-1?

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/Other/s1_lgrs.jpg

The dimensions are 107mm by 27.5mm and the base plastic color appears to be gray. I am thinking it is a drop tank half and may be from an Airfix 1/24th scale Mustang if it was available back then.It obviously also had to be available in 1969.

Cheers

Tony

Can anyone who knows models have a look at this picture and tell me if they recognise the bulge on the side of SKY-1?

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/Other/s1_lgrs.jpg

The dimensions are 107mm by 27.5mm and the base plastic color appears to be gray. I am thinking it is a drop tank half and may be from an Airfix 1/24th scale Mustang if it was available back then.It obviously also had to be available in 1969.

Cheers

Tony

Hi there! Did yiu check eagletransporter.com? In the launch crater forum you might find lot of details on the S1 build

Okay, a SEVEN year old thread revived ?! You win the prize for today´s coolest necropost :lol

One great thread nonetheless, thanks for bringing it to the surface ;)

And I thought I took a long time to do a build!!! :) I wonder if this ever was completed. I would love to see the finished version

I was entranced, when they showed us the launching of Sky1 from the water. My favorite model/prop of all time.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back