Six Million Dollar Man Prop Research

Im a huge fan of the Six Million Dollar Man and also have been fascinated by the arm used in the production of the series. Here's a work in progress CG model that I'm creating using the screen captures as reference. In my opinion, I think the arm used was a ordinary myoelectric prosthesis decorated with circuit boards, wires, and metal gear: I've wracked my brain trying to figure out the reason for the sprocket in the forearm but came up with a solution using "creative license" by adding a stepper motor but perhaps there really is one there that's hidden lol.

It's my hope to make this into a 1/1 scale prop replica.

BionicsBobsBionicArm.jpg
Screen shot 2014-03-17 at 2.14.34 AM.png
Screen shot 2014-03-17 at 2.11.53 AM.png

Nice to see this thread bumped to the front again. I got a couple autographs from Lee Majors this past weekend at KC Comicon. He's moving a bit slower these days (and likely will need a second knee replacement in a couple years), but he is looking good at age 83 and his memory is as sharp as a tack.

I've got the first three seasons on DVD, although I may splurge and get the whole set if they don't do seasons 4 and 5 (and the reunion movies) as separate disks. All things considered, the show does stand up pretty well for the most part. Yes there are some cheesy bits, but I was pretty impressed with some of the episodes and the writing (and in ones involving aviation, they seemed to keep their facts relatively straight depending on who the writer was).

Majors gave a nice panel talk during the convention and told a neat story about filming the first Bigfoot episode. Andre the Giant was in the suit for that shoot and Steve said he was a great guy and an excellent stunt professional (able to leap and land right next to Lee's head without touching it at all). But the film crew did try to perform a prank on him. Andre was already pretty well known for consuming mass quantities of alcohol with little affect on him due to his size. So between takes, while not getting out of the suit he would guzzle a six pack of beer in less than a minute or two and crush the cans to "rehydrate" as it were in the heat. One day, the crew tried slipping a diuretic into his beer to see if it would get Andre to pee and find out how he would react. Andre drank it and it apparently didn't affect him at all as he still never took off the costume at all that day.

The funny bit is after rewatching some of these episodes, I can recognize where some of the toy ideas came from. Oscar Goldman's exploding briefcase seemed to come from "Return of the Robot Maker" when a fellow OSI agent wanted Steve to try out some of his Q gadget tech on a mission. The same episode also featured Steve doing a karate chop to take the Oscar Goldman robot's head off... a feature on the Kenner Maskatron robot toy. The Uranium case from Steve's Bionic mission vehicle seemed to evolve from a plot device in "The Seven Million Dollar Man" although the toy case looked cooler. And of course, who can forget the Venus Space Probe. I had that toy when I was a kid and it was a COOL toy. The one in the episode was creepier though.

I love that show too. :) I've wanted to build on some of the detail folks found about Steve's eye, (I think it's earlier on in this thread but I'm not really in a position to dig for it right now), but haven't gotten around to it. I'd LOVE to see someone, (BionicsBob or otherwise), come up with a replica of Steve's arm. That would be epic. :D

I've got the first three seasons on DVD, although I may splurge and get the whole set if they don't do seasons 4 and 5 (and the reunion movies) as separate disks.

Not sure what the plan for the reunion movies is, but the season five set just came out not too long ago.

Still, I'd say get the whole set. It's worth it. And you can probably find a coupon for Time-Life to knock the price down and they'll let you pay installments of $30 or $40 a month, too

OK here are some screen caps of the bionic parts:

Eye from credits
http://www.therpf.com/attachments/f...n-prop-research-6mdm-009.jpg-42190d1294196904

Eye seen better in the pilot episode
http://www.therpf.com/attachments/f...n-prop-research-6mdm-010.jpg-42191d1294196904]

The eye prop is a housing, bezel and plunger from an arcade button. I recognize it instantly. They just removed the button and put the eye in the center where the button would be. Looks like they made a clear cast copy of it.

Jon

I remember similar arcade buttons from games of the late 70's (Space Invaders, Asteroids, etc.). But did such buttons exist in the early 70's? What games were there...?

Mousey123, did you get the belt buckle? I'd love to see it! I've been watching the series on DVD lately and enjoying it a ton, and I've always wanted a buckle like that.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back