Six Million Dollar Man Prop Research

I would assume the people whom were developing bionics at UCLA were consulted for the show, and yes, most-likely the production utilized the Myo arm for their footage. As best as my knowledge can determine, a Myo (or any electro-mechanical) bionic hand is strictly below-elbow. The footage in the credits shows an above-elbow development piece from the 1970's, but nobody has an articulating elbow bionic arm available yet, though they are still under development. You can see the vinyl glove is rolled up in the first pictures to reveal a bunched-up nylon sleeve. This is essentially a nylon glove worn under the vinyl cosmetic glove to reduce friction, so the mechanical fingers don't get stuck when closing. I can identify there is a servo motor, a couple of circuit boards, some cotton wadding, and an basic aluminum armature. Today, a lot of this stuff is done quite differently though the basic Myo hand is the same. You can even still get the same cosmesis covering! You can see a pic of some Myo R&D molds I had done for Touch Bionics when I was freelancing for them by looking under the Mold Making section of my website: HOME

I would assume the people whom were developing bionics at UCLA were consulted for the show, and yes, most-likely the production utilized the Myo arm for their footage. As best as my knowledge can determine, a Myo (or any electro-mechanical) bionic hand is strictly below-elbow. The footage in the credits shows an above-elbow development piece from the 1970's, but nobody has an articulating elbow bionic arm available yet, though they are still under development. You can see the vinyl glove is rolled up in the first pictures to reveal a bunched-up nylon sleeve. This is essentially a nylon glove worn under the vinyl cosmetic glove to reduce friction, so the mechanical fingers don't get stuck when closing. I can identify there is a servo motor, a couple of circuit boards, some cotton wadding, and an basic aluminum armature. Today, a lot of this stuff is done quite differently though the basic Myo hand is the same. You can even still get the same cosmesis covering! You can see a pic of some Myo R&D molds I had done for Touch Bionics when I was freelancing for them by looking under the Mold Making section of my website: HOME

Again, H18, great info...

I can see the circuit boards you refer to. One is obvious, and it looks like one is closer to the wrist and oriented differently (edge to camera).

Is the wheel the servo motor then?

Near what would be the elbow is a knurled aluminum ring with what I suppose are intended to be the upper arm brackets (or armature) attached. Are you suggesting this may have been added to the prop?

The area immediately below this knurled ring, but above the first circuit board, reads pretty much black in the photo. Any idea what is going on in there?

So what looks like panty-hose is the nylon glove? Its funny because the wrist - or what is under the nylon - looks much shorter than on the hand in the credit sequence shot (the wrist containing the cotton stuffing).

six-million-dollar-man-prop-research-arm-003.jpg-42290d1294323287

How would we account for the differences in the hand? Both color differences, and size (length)?

It almost seems that the darker hand features a true-to-life silicon glove like what is available today. How good was the art and technology in the early 70's at reproducing life-like skin?

six-million-dollar-man-prop-research-arm-004.jpg-42291d1294323287

Last edited:
I just happen to have two latex rubber amputated arms for sale that I picked up for Halloween.
They would make great bases for a bionic arm.;)

I just happen to have two latex rubber amputated arms for sale that I picked up for Halloween.

I stopped by our local costume/Halloween store yesterday and got a couple. One is plastic, which would be easier to paint, but it is less correct. The other is rubber. May be harder to paint but is a much better shape.

Also got some hardware at the local HD, and have an old PC with a fried mother board and extracted hard drive. I'll be donating this PC to a new project!

Just finished this...

15698284.jpg

Hey looking good!

The only thing for sure I see different is on your I.D. the phone number slants to the right, and the number in the screen grab appears to be straight up and down.

The O in OFFICE doesn't look as narrow as the one pictured. Is that just my eye, or is the O just in bolder print on screen used I.D.?

Are you going to take a crack at the alternate version with the fingerprint? Or the drivers license?

Great work!!

Yes, you have most everything correct except for a few minor things; in the area where you circled "what's going on here" appears to be the connection point of the two gray wires coming off of the bench, you can see they are looped together at intervals, which appear to have several wire ties or looms much closer together in the area you circled. In that same area appears to be another piston or servo. This is apparently a developmental prototype for a powered, articulated elbow..... something not available to amputees yet. IMO the knurled aluminum you are speculating is not correct. I believe it's a couple of machined aluminum rings connected with some aluminum flat stock.

The differences in the cosmetic coverings can simply be attributed to the shade of glove they used. Today you can purchase varying tones, I would assume you could also purchase various shades back in the-day. Think about it, what if you were African-American or dark Hispanic, you could only purchase pale caucasian gloves for your device?

The lighter glove has the nylon sock underneath, the darker glove is stuffed with cotton wadding in the wrist.

BTW, I could accurately replicate this for any interested party:love

Scott

what ever happened to Lee Majors ???
He has also done a couple of conventions. The last one I'm aware of was the Wizard World Austin Comic Con back in November. Lindsey Wagner and Richard Anderson was there as well. He also guested on Human Target last season.

Last edited:

Hey, guys! This is very interesting info!

I've got a Halloween costume started for next year and would like to mock up a wearable bionic arm that would have small lights and run on battery power. Not sure how to put it together, though. :confused Would love suggestions from the experts here.

Thanks for your help, guys! :)

Loved this at the time and its been on again lately and i have to say that from an acting point of view it seems that the implants were comprised entirely of wood. A mate of mine always took off his glasses and put them in his top pocket saying, "Steve, this is serious" when he wanted to make a point.

If anyone could post a montage of the great mans extensive range of tasteful, timeless jackets through the series, not only i, but history would thank you.

I truly LOVED this thread! It brought back some great memories and the screen caps were great. After I got the season 1 & 2 DVDs, I actually drove to some of the spots where they filmed the original episodes (basically all over LA and San Fernando Valley). Thanks guys!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back