Simple programmable sound player

CharlesHouse

Has anyone ever build a very simple, battery operated, push button sound player? Something you can load an MP3 or WAV into and use in a prop to play sound? I have seen everything from kid's toys and holiday decorations to shirts that play programmable audio but am not even sure what I would search for to find this.

I picked up a few of these http://store.bigdawgspromo.com/product_info.php?products_id=12970

No reason to reinvent the wheel here, although the sound quality is a bit lacking. This one is 5 buttons, each playing a different sound. Others have one button play a different sound with each click. All depends what you need to do with it exactly.

How loud is it? I found a short MP3 and turned the gain up a bit. It isn't a complex sound, and doesn't need to be perfectly clear (no dialogue or other tracks).

How loud is it? I found a short MP3 and turned the gain up a bit. It isn't a complex sound, and doesn't need to be perfectly clear (no dialogue or other tracks).

Pretty much as loud as a greeting card. Apparently you can get an "enclosure" 3d printed to make it slightly louder

Last edited:

these units work very well with the supplied speaker.

Pretty much as loud as a greeting card. Apparently you can get an "enclosure" 3d printed to make it slightly larger

yes an enclosure will enhance the audio output, it can be made from anything ie. a paper towel tube works wonders in making the sound louder.

It looks like most of these are only Windows XP, Vista or 7 compatible. I made the switch to Mac some time ago. Any idea where I might find one of these programmable in iOs?

It looks like most of these are only Windows XP, Vista or 7 compatible. I made the switch to Mac some time ago. Any idea where I might find one of these programmable in iOs?

send an email to them and find out if the have a beta program to work with a Mac....................

Contact bob at replicaprops. They aren't user programmable but if you aren't looking to change anything, it will work. He can work up anything you need. I got a little amp for about $5 on eBay. A little speaker and you're ready to fly. If you want more info, PM me.

I'm currently doing my Arduino board for my WH40k space marine power armour. It will have exactly two functions: playing sound samples and as a voice changer. Will be hooking it up to a couple of bigger speakers. I'll post links and pics when I get the time later:)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back