silicone mask painting

toxicvenom

Just a beginner at this. What is the best paint to use are there cheaper alternatives to use to practice. I have one mask it's platinum silicone made by a so called pro and the top layer is peeling off taking the paint color with it leaving the silicone clean. Is this a bad technique looks like clear silicone over the base platinum silicone. One last thing how do you add more silicone to add detail over cured silicone or to repair a split

The best paint for me is a dash of dragon skin "very fast" (yes that is its name) mixed with tint of your choice, I like smooth on tints, the milto color pack goes a long, long way. thin it with naphtha and run it through airbrush.
It wont set in the cup for hours, but the paint will set on about 10 min once on the mask.
also to repair just add some cabosil to some mixed platinum silicone and Bam!! it goes right on.

I hope this helps.

The best paint for me is a dash of dragon skin "very fast" (yes that is its name) mixed with tint of your choice, ... thin it with naphtha and run it through airbrush.

Any specific bottle/brand/type of naptha you prefer? If you've used a particular one successfully, I want to buy that one!!! :D

I like to use Smooth-On's Psycho Paint system with Silicone Art Materials (SAM) Pigments. Thinned with Naptha as well. I'm not a fan of their NOVOCS product.

You could also use GE Silicone I Clear if you're in a pinch but I really recommend against it. It's an acetoxy silicone, and never really bonds to the silicone how an AB silicone would. I believe your mask was probably painted this way, and that's why it is peeling.

Camerafx24 is right on about cabosil and silicone for build ups, and plain AB silicone for tears.

How well does Dragon skin and Psyco paints bond to a cast platinum mask after its cured for a while?
as they recomend painting when freshly cured.
and whats best to clean /prep it before painting as mine needs cleaning of the non bonded paint/Ge silicone mix
also will artist oil paint work with these systems as I have a lot .

Any specific bottle/brand/type of naptha you prefer? If you've used a particular one successfully, I want to buy that one!!! :D

VM&P Naphtha though if your in California, good luck as I believe it's illegal and you'll have to use an alternative.

VM&P Naphtha though if your in California, good luck as I believe it's illegal and you'll have to use an alternative.

Nah, I'm in New Orleans where the only thing that's illegal is morality ;) Thanks! Looks like I can get some variant at Lowe's.

I found that you can actually use an oil paint in order to paint on silicone... I created a mask and used this technique and it came out great!

IN ORDER FOR THIS TO WORK, you must paint certain sections at a time, then seal it with a clear silicone before the paint starts to dry. Be careful to make sure that your silicone will cure over the oil paint.. otherwise you will have a giant mess. To get rid of the shine that the small sealing layer of silicone leaves simply brush talc or baby powder on it once it is fully cured and you are completely done painting the mask.

This is a very good way to practice painting on silicone without breaking the bank on special dyes.

This is why I started this post , as the mask I have was platinum silicone and painted using clear GE silicone over it but
with the paint mixed with the silicone , it started with a small rubbed area then as I tried to clean off the small area
the whole top coat started peeling away leaving the raw unpainted mask.........not done by me by the way.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back