silicon mold of plasticine object

pommeverte

Hey guys,

I'm a total newbie so this might be a really stupid question but here I go anyway.
I'm wanting to make a male/female silicon mold of a plasticine sculpted object.

Where I get confused is that all I seem to be finding online regarding male/female mold making is that you should place the sculpted item into a layer of plasticine (so only half of it gets molded), and then repeat with the other face.
My item being already made of plasticine I'm worried it will fuse with this layer and screw up my model.

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Hello

If you have the chance to place your sculpture in a "hovering" position, the first half of the mold could be poured in slowly from below. But that depends on how the sculpture is shaped. You don´t want to have any trapped air that would cause bubbles in your mold surface. A picture of the sculpture would be good to find out the best way to make the molds.

Best regards
Kevin

Hello

If you have the chance to place your sculpture in a "hovering" position, the first half of the mold could be poured in slowly from below. But that depends on how the sculpture is shaped. You don´t want to have any trapped air that would cause bubbles in your mold surface. A picture of the sculpture would be good to find out the best way to make the molds.

Best regards
Kevin

Hi Mike,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm afraid hovering would be quite difficult. I've got a couple pieces to mold and that could work for the first but the second is a quadriped with a big head so that's going to be a bit more complicated.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back