Show Off: Wearable ROTJ Vader Reveal

decaturvader

Sr Member
Well, lemme just say one word; WOW.

Now, these pics aren't the greatest because I can't take pics inside and get good lighting to save my rear, so tomorrow, I'll get good close-ups in the daylight.

But, so i can sleep well tonite (LOL), here it is:

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

It would be very very difficult to critique this mask, but I have three little things:
#1. the mouth has the typical frown as seen on the Don Post Deluxe. I thought that was remedied on people's new molds. It's not as bad as the DP though, least I think so.
#2. The mask is a really, really tight fit on my head. I have a pretty good sized noggen, so it might fit others ok....but I have no room and it pulls my ears when I take it off. I have one of those hoodie things coming from scuba, so that ought to help.
#3. The helmet-to-mask fastening system. They way it is designed, leaves the bolts exposed and they dig into my scalp. I'll have to put a piece of foam on top of my head or sumthing.

But, the pro's outweigh the con's tremendously. I love all the trinkets on the mask. The paint job is totally awesome. I have YET to find a spec of dirt in the paint. No pits or scratches inthe fiberglass. The attention to detail is quite extreme on this mask that my words and pics do not do it justice.

And to boot, Manuel was great to to deal with. Quick email replies. Good character. And DHL even went the extra step to get me my package. I wasn't home to sign....went out to the facility around 4:40pm expecting to wait for the driver to come back after 5 and they called him to make a special trip back just to give me my box....and I didn't even ask them to. Talk about impress me.

Can't wait to take more pics tomorrow to show ya'll the quality.
Cheers
Chad

good stuff i got one from portumac, be careful with it, it is very fragile even if you tip it over on carpet.

urs kinda looks like it could open up on the chin since theres like a line/cut there is it?

Very nice. I recently ordered some chest armour from Manuel. He's been great so far. E-mailed me with the progress out of the blue.

The paint looks, like you say, awesome.

Originally posted by darthjones@Mar 16 2006, 12:17 AM
Curious, what is this "frown" everyone is talking about on the Vader helmets?  I don't understand.
[snapback]1206839[/snapback]​

I believe they're talking about the "droop" that came from the higher number DP helmets and are apparent on some of it's derivatives. Though, I can't see it on this helmet. It doesn't show up very well in just these pictures maybe. In fact, this helmet looks like it has been cleaned up. In the 5th pic down it almost looks like a hint of a smile. What a happy Vader.

I'm no expert though. I think the helmet looks great.

Originally posted by PnatheraGem+Mar 16 2006, 08:52 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PnatheraGem @ Mar 16 2006, 08:52 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-darthjones
@Mar 16 2006, 12:17 AM
Curious, what is this "frown" everyone is talking about on the Vader helmets?  I don't understand.
[snapback]1206839[/snapback]​

I believe they're talking about the "droop" that came from the higher number DP helmets and are apparent on some of it's derivatives. Though, I can't see it on this helmet. It doesn't show up very well in just these pictures maybe. In fact, this helmet looks like it has been cleaned up. In the 5th pic down it almost looks like a hint of a smile. What a happy Vader.

I'm no expert though. I think the helmet looks great.
[snapback]1206847[/snapback]​
[/b]

Well, maybe my definition of "frown" is different than others. What I refer to is the slant from tusk-to-tusk. PnatheraGem, look at your avatar. See how the one tusk appears to sit higher than the other, hense, creating a slope? It is pretty obvious on my DP Deluxe. The more I look at my new Portumac, I find it harder to see it, so it might have been my point of view.

I'm no expert either, but it looks lovely. And it's ready to go, right out of the box? You can't beat that.
Add in the fact the seller provided updates and sent what you were expecting AND DHL bending backward to get you your package, all around, sounds like an excellent transaction. :)

The "slant" is good. Because it was there on the original props from everything I've seen. The mouth "droop" and neck flare that happened on some of the DP's is what looks bad.

The slant is there on the DJ ANH helmet too. Also on my JB (my avatar). I've become a big fan of asymmetry. In any case, I really like your Portumac reveal. You've got an awesome helmet there. :thumbsup Now, where's those daylight pics? :D

Originally posted by PnatheraGem@Mar 16 2006, 06:46 PM
You've got an awesome helmet there.  :thumbsup Now, where's those daylight pics?  :D
[snapback]1207120[/snapback]​

Awe man..you have no idea how distracted i am at work today. Soon as I get home....I am getting to the pics. :D

I have already asked my wife to help my suit up this evening..she was a little reluctant, soooo it will probably be one of the kids. LOL

You have a great replica there.

This fellow makes the nearest to the original neckbrace I have seen anywhere and his expander castings are virtually perfect as well.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back