Show Off: AT-AT Driver helmet tusk

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by obi1kenny, May 31, 2006.

1. obi1kenny

obi1kenny Well-Known Member

Here is kind of a new project I have been working on but haven’t had a chance to post here and show yet. Actually haven’t had the time to post in a while, but nonetheless, here is my take on the AT-AT Driver helmet tusk.

[​IMG]

Some of the specs are: CNC machined from solid bar Aluminum, all one piece, drilled and tapped to 8-32 on the backside for mounting purposes.

PM me or Email me for more info, Email might be a little faster as I don't get a chance to stop by here too often: Dmaul1000@aol.com

2. GINO

GINO Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Kenny you rock.

Those look great.
    Closet AT-AT pilot helmet fan?

3. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Looks excellent to me. Good job Kenny.

4. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

Wow....those look bang on to me. Was there any consensus as to what the found item was or was it a custom piece?

5. Dean O

Dean O Well-Known Member

Looks great Kenny.
    <div class='quotetop'></div>
    I made some for TE years ago and based on the dimensions I took back then, the tapered end seemed to be the same size and shape as Boba Fetts smallest knee dart. Didn't get me any closer to knowing what they might have used, but I did find it interesting.

6. obi1kenny

Thanks guys.

Yeah, no idea what the original prop might have been, but havenÂ’t really looked in to that much myself. I know someone here made some of these a few years back and kinda scratch built them together out of maybe 2 or 3 parts for each tusk, and looked pretty good from what I remember. But canÂ’t remember who that was.

7. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>(obi1kenny @ May 31 2006, 05:24 PM) [snapback]1253832[/snapback]</div>
    wow yeah never heard about any discoverys of this piece, but from all the ATAT driver reference pics ive seen those certainly look the part, albeit probably being better constructed than they were back then...

WOW those are machined from a solid rod of aluminum, they seriously do look great.

im still trying to get an ANH TK suit together, but the ATAT driver at least the helmet isnt far down my wish list. ;)

8. jimbobond

jimbobond New Member

mail sent :thumbsup

9. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Don't know what they are but its a 99.9% chance that they are a found part.

10. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Got my set from Kenny the other day. They rock.

11. Firespray

Firespray Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(obi1kenny @ May 31 2006, 04:24 PM) [snapback]1253832[/snapback]</div>
    That may have been me Kenny. After purchasing your awesome Tie Helmet greeblies a few years back, I contacted you about making some AT-AT helmet tusks and emailed you some drawings. I did make mine out of three different diameters of aluminum rod as you stated. They look OK but they don't compare with what you've created. I'm glad you finally made these. :) Email sent.

12. obi1kenny

<div class='quotetop'>(Firespray @ Jun 1 2006, 05:37 AM) [snapback]1254065[/snapback]</div>
    That may have been me Kenny. After purchasing your awesome Tie Helmet greeblies a few years back, I contacted you about making some AT-AT helmet tusks and emailed you some drawings. I did make mine out of three different diameters of aluminum rod as you stated. They look OK but they don't compare with what you've created. I'm glad you finally made these. :) Email sent.
    [/b][/quote]

Ah yes, that must have been you then and that jogs my memory a bit more.

And on the other note, I am pretty sure these would have been found parts as well. But in the slim chance they were scratch built originally, they might just have pieces a few different size pieces of tubing together to make them. And an even slimmer chance that they machined them all from solid. But then again I made replicas, now if someone wants to dig and find out what jet engine part or grenade part this might be then cool, IÂ’d like to know as well.

13. Keith

Keith Sr Member

I have a set of these and they look great :)

Just need some red imperial cog decals that are the correct size now, as the ones i have are too small.

Keith.

14. Star Wars Helmets

Star Wars Helmets Sr Member

Wow - youve nailed that.

Well done

Cheers

Jez

15. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member

As always, really nice work Kenny...

Dave :)

16. Mr. Bojangles

Mr. Bojangles Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey Kenny,

What is the diameter of the disc?

I am converting a standard DP Tie helmet.....will this fit in there ?

:)

17. stormtrooperguy

stormtrooperguy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i've got a set of them, and they rock.

<div class='quotetop'>(Mr. Bojangles @ Jun 1 2006, 11:03 AM) [snapback]1254203[/snapback]</div>
    if i don't flake out on it, i can try them up against my DP tie when i get home tonight.

18. obi1kenny

<div class='quotetop'>(Mr. Bojangles @ Jun 1 2006, 03:03 PM) [snapback]1254203[/snapback]</div>

The largest part is about 1 and 1/4 inches.

And for those that had already heard through the grape vine about these, I'd like to see pics if you have them on your helmet already.

19. stormtrooperguy

<div class='quotetop'>(obi1kenny @ Jun 1 2006, 08:27 PM) [snapback]1254528[/snapback]</div>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i haven't painted the red tusk yet. well, there's a lot on the helmet i haven't done yet, but it's getting there.

20. Mr. Bojangles

Mr. Bojangles Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'></div>
    So TK 7602.....................

Any update ????

21. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Those look fantastic on the helmet. (And off of it, too. :) )

Great job. :thumbsup

22. stormtrooperguy

<div class='quotetop'>(Mr. Bojangles @ Jun 2 2006, 11:08 AM) [snapback]1254860[/snapback]</div>
    So TK 7602.....................

Any update ????
    [/b][/quote]

@%.^#$^@#.$^ i didn't upload the 3rd pic in the set there. when i took those 2 that i posted above, i also took one of the dp tie.

i'll get it online when i get home from work. sorry about that.

there's a reason i put that "flake" disclaimer in there... i really can be an idiot sometimes ;)

23. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(tk7602 @ Jun 3 2006, 01:42 AM) [snapback]1254922[/snapback]</div>
    :lol

Great pics. Looking forward to more.

24. stormtrooperguy

these tusks don't fit well on the dp standard...

[​IMG]

the diameter is larger than the recessed area, so you'd either have to shim behind the tusk, or re-sculpt the recessed area to make it fit all the way in.

brian

25. obi1kenny

So are you telling me the DP standard is undersized from the real movie size helmets......IÂ’m shocked.

OK, not really just a joke.

26. stormtrooperguy

<div class='quotetop'>(obi1kenny @ Jun 3 2006, 12:16 AM) [snapback]1255265[/snapback]</div>

yeah, shocking.

that was going to be my at-at helmet, but then i decided to use it as an empty space on the basement shelves filler instead.

27. Helmetman

Helmetman Well-Known Member

Looks stunning man. Well done ;)

Cheers, Steve

28. Firespray

Firespray Well-Known Member

Received my tusks yesterday and they look fabulous. Thanks Kenny. :)