Should I just change this sculpt to a different character? (updated 11-24-12)

Re: Blade Runner Deckard Mini Bust-UPDATE 4/28/12-Ennis Tiles

Well, I figured I'd update this again. I wasn't going to update until I actually finished, but I'm not sure when I'll actually get to a point where its good enough to stop. Pretty sure no one cares, but I've come this far, so why not keep posting. Plus, I decided to edit my previous posts to make this thread less pic heavy.
Anyway, here's some more minor progress.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I know this project is going on too long, with too many little updates, but I'm wondering, should I just change this sculpt to a more popular Harrison Ford character (or maybe just give up)? Would I get more feedback if it was Han Solo or Indiana Jones instead of Rick Deckard?
Trying the photoshopped eyes thing again, maybe it'll help. Sorry for the grainy pics. I gave him more of a neck, & if I continue, I'll build out the shoulders & torso more. Comments appreciated.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Dont give up!! I say keep at it untill your happy with what you've made, however long it takes. It cant be easy doing this so treat it as a challenge & dont let it beat you.
I think Deckard is an awesome character, I cant see it making any difference if you change to Indy.

:)

Never take a lack of feedback as a reason to change your project. if you want Deckard make Deckard. :)

I think you're doing a great job considering this is your first real live sculpt. :thumbsup

Same here. Keep at it. Im doing a ford Sculpt myself...been battling away at it for a good while now trying to get it right. He's a very complicated person to sculpt and i think your doing really well so far. Deckards a cool character too

Thanks for the reassurance! I think since I started this so long ago, I'm second guessing my original inspiration. I know could have had this finished a long time ago if I worked on it regularly instead of just an hour here or there, then nothing for months. That and I keep tweaking it to get the likeness of his face and hair closer instead of working more on the body.

Oh well, I started this partly as a learning experience, so I think I'm doing ok in that respect.

Hi, if you allow me to give an opinion I must say that the basic skill needed for likeness portraits is patience and endurance. Doesn't matter how long something takes... The only golden rule in this game is that if it's not excellent is because it's not finished yet!
Don't give up

Thanks again, everyone! No new pics, but I've been retooling the neck and body. My original plan was to try to emulate the original pic I posted where he's hunched over, but it doesn't seem to work well as a bust, at least not the way I had it. I'm trying to get the underlying anatomy better, then I'll add the jacket on top. I'm also thinking of better ways to finish off the bottom part of the bust, try to make it have cleaner lines at least. I'm still a little wary of making the whole thing unbalanced, but I suppose I can always adjust the weight distribution later.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back