Shogun remake

All I can say is: holy ****.

Edit: it's pretty wild to listen to the writers' podcast and realize that they're basically siding with the Japanese characters' views on all of this. I'm 100% with Blackthorn in pointing out how insane all of this is.
...but your body is too small and light to make a 'diff though.... that's what I would have a said.

All I can say is: holy ****.

Edit: it's pretty wild to listen to the writers' podcast and realize that they're basically siding with the Japanese characters' views on all of this. I'm 100% with Blackthorn in pointing out how insane all of this is.
Not insane if you've studied Japanese culture/traditions of that era and beyond.;)

Shogun has convinced me that the Japanese of that era were the craziest motherfuckers around. :lol:
Don't forget, the same Shinto and Zen buddhism philosophies which were Earth, Water, Fire, Wind and Void. Bushido was the same in the Japan of WWII...(even in today's Japan influencing many facets of their society) that's why the U.S. dropped 2 nukes on the country. A land invasion would've been deemed too costly for the allied armies (if the U.S. wanted to have some help out there:unsure:).
It is misinterpreting that Bushido is a code of death. The true meaning is by having a constant consciousness of death (like the chivalry code of Europe and the Memento Mori ring that some knights were wearing), people can achieve a state of freedom that transcends life and death, whereby "it is possible to perfectly fulfill one's calling as a warrior and die with honor."

The only issues my wife and I both had with the series was that we felt Blackthorne was a bit of a derp and there was no chemistry between him and Mariko.

And that'll stay as is; no plan to make a second series. The creator/director said that the pre-production of this series took 5 years to complete.o_Oo_O Lots of work, as viewers saw, to make it a success with audiences(y)(y)
I think its why the book has also this ending.But I´ve seen today that the makers wants to make a season 2.

Mariko also died in the book.Really sad...I loved her in the series.Anna Sawai was perfect for this role.

season 2 would be the other book? I hope this inspires a more action oriented shogun show on something like HBO.
There is no other book, Shogun was a stand-alone novel. While there were 2 other novels that formed a rough trilogy they had nothing to do with each other except being set in Asia. Taipan was a book about what was to become Hong Kong and was set a century or 2 after Shogun, and King Rat was about Allied POWs in a Japanese POW camp during the waning days of WWII.

Furthermore, there's not that much more that happens after the events of Shogun, at least nothing that would make for exciting TV. The only other thing of note is the Battle of Sekigahara which, spoiler alert, Toranaga/Tokugawa wins. That was the last major battle of the Sengoku jidai (a period of over a century of near constant civil war) and essentially marked the beginning of the Edo Jidai, a period of long-lasting peace and the Tokugawa shogunate. So there's nothing else that would make for a compelling show unless they completely ignored history and just made stuff up out of whole cloth which would likely end up not being half as good as Shogun was.

There is no other book, Shogun was a stand-alone novel. While there were 2 other novels that formed a rough trilogy they had nothing to do with each other except being set in Asia. Taipan was a book about what was to become Hong Kong and was set a century or 2 after Shogun, and King Rat was about Allied POWs in a Japanese POW camp during the waning days of WWII.

Furthermore, there's not that much more that happens after the events of Shogun, at least nothing that would make for exciting TV. The only other thing of note is the Battle of Sekigahara which, spoiler alert, Toranaga/Tokugawa wins. That was the last major battle of the Sengoku jidai (a period of over a century of near constant civil war) and essentially marked the beginning of the Edo Jidai, a period of long-lasting peace and the Tokugawa shogunate. So there's nothing else that would make for a compelling show unless they completely ignored history and just made stuff up out of whole cloth which would likely end up not being half as good as Shogun was.

They will find a way to make a sequel…

IMG_4263.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back