Shaun of the Dead - Cricket Bat and Badge

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Peralton, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Peralton

Peralton Well-Known Member

For ComicCon this year, I decided to do a Shaun of the Dead costume. It's not that complex an outfit, but I thought the name badge and cricket bat would be fun.

To start, I bought a regular $50 willow cricket bat from the Sports Authority website. It came covered in stickers and was a natural willow color.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I removed the stickers with goof off then sanded the whole thing down to remove any polyurathane coating. I also cut off the rubber tip guard and handle cover.
    [​IMG]

From there I stained it with a sedona red to give it a more antique look. I also re-wrapped the handle with some thin nylon cord.

I then added a liberal amount of gel-blood to it, and voila...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

For the name badge I looked at some fonts and went with "Avenir Next Condensed Bold". I compressed the font a bit in photoshop and toyed with the ends of the S's and C's to get the angles approximate.

I glued the Foree Electronic portion to a CD case and cut out the window. I glued the Sales Associate print out and glued that to a CD case then sandwiched the two together to get the slight difference in depth. This gives it a rigid look and feel
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty happy with it even though I can still see plenty of flaws since I did it all fairly quickly. It will be more than good enough for my costume. I have two friends playing zombies on Thursday, so I'm expecting a lot of fun to be had.

2. nickytea

nickytea Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome job. Ill keep an eye out for you at the con.

3. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You've got red on you.

4. B-Movie Zombie

B-Movie Zombie Sr Member

Nice job on the crickat bat. I also thought that would be a great prop to have. thanks for the info.

5. ssdesigner

ssdesigner Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Oi, *...

Nice lookin' thump stick ya got there.. :):thumbsup

-Ss

6. MacRory

MacRory New Member

Excellent work. See you down at the Winchester for a pint and some pig snacks :lol