Shaun of the Dead - Cricket Bat and Badge

Peralton

For ComicCon this year, I decided to do a Shaun of the Dead costume. It's not that complex an outfit, but I thought the name badge and cricket bat would be fun.

To start, I bought a regular $50 willow cricket bat from the Sports Authority website. It came covered in stickers and was a natural willow color.

Bat01.jpg
Bat02.jpg
Bat03.jpg

I removed the stickers with goof off then sanded the whole thing down to remove any polyurathane coating. I also cut off the rubber tip guard and handle cover.
Bat04.jpg

From there I stained it with a sedona red to give it a more antique look. I also re-wrapped the handle with some thin nylon cord.

I then added a liberal amount of gel-blood to it, and voila...
Bat06.jpg
Bat07.jpg

For the name badge I looked at some fonts and went with "Avenir Next Condensed Bold". I compressed the font a bit in photoshop and toyed with the ends of the S's and C's to get the angles approximate.

I glued the Foree Electronic portion to a CD case and cut out the window. I glued the Sales Associate print out and glued that to a CD case then sandwiched the two together to get the slight difference in depth. This gives it a rigid look and feel
Badge1.jpg

I'm pretty happy with it even though I can still see plenty of flaws since I did it all fairly quickly. It will be more than good enough for my costume. I have two friends playing zombies on Thursday, so I'm expecting a lot of fun to be had.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back