Shadow Dale Creations, A 2nd Opinion

yodasan

Sr Member
Recently there was a thread about a good experience that an RPF member
had with Shadow Dale Creations:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=26524&highlight=ShadowDale

Here is a different story which I will attempt to tell with a minimum of commentary.

In September 2006 I paid Shadow Dale to make a KOTOR Mandalore style helmet
as discussed in this thread:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=9203&highlight=Mandalorian

10 months later the helmet was shipped to me and arrived at my house
on ~9 July 2007. Unfortunately there were problems with the paint in
one area as seen in this picture:

mandalorian.jpg

When I contacted Shadow Dale they apologized and offered to fix the paint
and paid for me to ship the helmet back. I did so and they sent it back to me
about a month later - it got back to me on August 14. This time the paint looked
worse in the same area and some of the red paint had lifted off, stuck to the bubble
wrap used for packing, and then got stuck to an adjacent area as seen in this picture:

mando_130807a.jpg

When informed of this problem Shadow Dale claimed that the problem
with the paint was not their fault and thought it might have happened during
shipping due to excessive heat in e.g. the postal delivery truck. This explanation
seems unlikely to be correct because of the way the paint went bad in
the same place as the first time, and also because nowhere else had
the paint been lifted off from the helmet surface. Shadow Dale implied that they
would pay for me to get the helmet repainted and asked me for an estimate of a reasonable
amount. I contacted a well-known helmet maker who gave me an estimate of $75 with
the assumption that the resin in the problem area was weeping, which was
causing the paint to go bad, and would need to be fixed before the helmet
could be repainted. Shadow Dale responded by saying that "$20 was what you paid
for the paint job or the helmet would have been shipped off unpainted." This is
not true - the original price that I paid was for the helmet painted with one color.
I later paid an extra $20 to add a second color to the paint job to make it the same as the
one received by GroundsKeeperWillie. Shadow Dale have not yet offered any amount,
not even $20, to have the paint fixed.

So now, about 11 months after sending payment, I have a KOTOR Mandalore helmet
with a poor paint job and a possible bad resin area.

These threads are always hard for me to read as I had such a wonderful experience with them when they made my Wifes Padme costume. They were quick kept in contact and did great work. I hope that this issue is resolved.I know they have had mixed reviews. It sucks when things go wrong when something you payed for is not to the standards you had hoped. I hope things go well here.

NEVER trust SDC.......I have lost $1500 to them and it's coming up on 7 months and STILL NOTHING!!

NEVER TRUST THEM

sage:angry

Apparently, a long wait is normal with SDC. I paid for a Royal Guard costume last year, and it took 8 months to arrive, though I was happy with it once it finally showed up. There was no info volunteered as to why the long delay, but whenever I initiated a conversation I received a response within a day or so, and everything was resolved to my satisfaction.

It takes time to custom build costume pieces folks. 8 months does seem like a long time, but with the custom build, possible setbacks, and your own material orders not going as smoothly as you would have hoped, all while balancing 20-30 other orders. Things can get hectic, and fecal matter happens. The best you can do is to keep in touch, check in on your order regularly. Keeps them concious of it and keeps it from falling thru the cracks. In a perfect world these contractors would have administrative assistants to handle expedition and communication, but realistically most of us are doing this work out of our living rooms.

In short, contracting costumes is a tough job. Those of us that do it spend time crafting these items. We don't just pull them from our proverbial backsides. Just be concious of that fact and you'll stress out less in the long run.

On a side note. I checked in on the KOTOR mando helmet thread from time to time, and I don't believe its been 11 months since GM said the buckets were ready to be made available to the public. So you may have prepayed, but your comment on the timeframe is a bit misleading.

I'm gonna give everyone a useful piece of advise when painting items and shipping them to a buyer.....

Let the paint fully cure for at least 2 weeks and longer if the humidity is high.

Wrap the item in plain blackprint newspaper and don't let any type of plastic touch the surface of the painted item. Not tape, not bubble wrap etc...

Then put your bubble wrap on top of the paper, then pack in peanuts.

I've never had a single issue with a customer complaining about the finish since I've started using this simple technique.

When shipping multiple items, consider them all projectiles which could ruin the other items in the box.......wrap each one the same way and individually........then tape them securely together.

Again, no problems since I have used this process.

I paid for some large heavy aluminum pieces recently, only to find that the guy loosely wrapped them in bubble wrap (not separated), and both have ugly dings in the edges. Common sense is all it takes to assure these expensive items reach their targets with zero incidents.

Dave

I'm gonna give everyone a useful piece of advise when painting items and shipping them to a buyer.....

Let the paint fully cure for at least 2 weeks and longer if the humidity is high.

Wrap the item in plain blackprint newspaper and don't let any type of plastic touch the surface of the painted item. Not tape, not bubble wrap etc...

Then put your bubble wrap on top of the paper, then pack in peanuts.

I've never had a single issue with a customer complaining about the finish since I've started using this simple technique.

When shipping multiple items, consider them all projectiles which could ruin the other items in the box.......wrap each one the same way and individually........then tape them securely together.

Again, no problems since I have used this process.

I paid for some large heavy aluminum pieces recently, only to find that the guy loosely wrapped them in bubble wrap (not separated), and both have ugly dings in the edges. Common sense is all it takes to assure these expensive items reach their targets with zero incidents.

Dave

Good advice and saves headaches on both sides :thumbsup

On a side note. I checked in on the KOTOR mando helmet thread from time to time, and I don't believe its been 11 months since GM said the buckets were ready to be made available to the public. So you may have prepayed, but your comment on the timeframe is a bit misleading.

My comment on the time frame is not misleading.
I have email from Shadow Dale dated 4 September 2006 saying:

"Hi Adam,

We're booked up for the next few weeks so I'd say about 3 to 4 weeks approximately if it were ordered now.

Thank you for the inquiry and we look forward to further assisting you.

Sincerely,

Shadow Duchess "

I went ahead and paid then (12 Sept 2006) even though I knew that it would take more than 3-4 weeks. But it took 10 months just to send
it the first time. Still, my complaint is not about the length of time but about the paint job.

It very much looks as if the resin is weeping to me. I've had a low success rate in fixing 100% an item with cronic weeping. I usually have to cut that piece out and rebuild it (if that's possible) or chuck it and start over. Instead of compensation, is it not possible to just have them replace it? Sometimes a very low heat bake will help dry it out, usually not depending on how bad it is. And as most cases with weeping resin, you will never be able to tell that an there is an issue until you apply the first coat of paint or primer, then wait 24 hours. (something about paint that will activate the weeping if there truly is an issue) In 24 hours if all is good, it's probably okay. It may just be an issue of them sending it too soon as it might have appeared to be okay while packing and while in transit, the paint activated the weeping. Still, the issue is pretty obvious. I would just ask for a replacement.
Well, that's what I would offer if I were them. :unsure

Cool! Now I have a new place to add to my boycott list and badmouth at every opportunity to anyone that will listen! If it were me, I'd bump this thread up every day for about a year. Oh, don't forget to change the title to something like, "I was screwed over buy Shadow Dale Creations!!!!"

I have placed an order in the past and SDC came through with flying colors. Sorry to hear that you have had some problems. I was able to place another order them, but some "real world" bills are taking precedent right now.

I've been waiting on a Trek tunic for going on 7 mos. and that is almost 3 months longer than quoted. But I get occasional brief updates from them and have faith that it will work out fine in the end. I'm in no great hurry but I don't want to be forgotten, either.

Good luck, Steve!

I ordered a tunic from them about a year ago. They quoted six weeks, and it took six months. I mailed a patch for them to use instead of their usual choice and it apparently never arrived, so I had to send more patches. When I emailed around the four-week mark they said everything was on track. At about ten weeks it was upgraded to "soon," and after three months they told be they'd be ordering the material "next week" to be able to make my tunic. :confused At four months I got a picture of the "great" material they'd chosen, but at five months they said the material wasn't going to be good enough after all and they needed time to get something else instead. After that it had been delayed because they were sick but it would go out "next week." I finally got the tunic two days before the six month mark.

Sadly, it didn't fit. Not even close.

After taking some pics to prove it wasn't just me being picky and emailing asking what they were willing to do to fix it they stopped responding to my emails. Great. So I ended up selling it at a loss to someone short enough to actually wear the damn thing.

After that I've pretty much given up on Trek costuming. There simply isn't anyone out there that is reliable enough for me to take a chance on anymore.

:unsure

I've been waiting on a Trek tunic for going on 7 mos. and that is almost 3 months longer than quoted. But I get occasional brief updates from them and have faith that it will work out fine in the end. I'm in no great hurry but I don't want to be forgotten, either.

This is not the first time that Shadow Dale has had bad feedback on this forum. They have a tendancy to treat their customers however THEY see fit. But as soon as someone brings it out in the open, they suddenly want to make good. I was going to have them make my Captain Marvel costume but now I'd rather sew it myself before I give them my $$$. Yeah, they suck! :thumbsdown

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back