Sgt Horvath Cans of Dirt Saving Private Ryan

JoeG

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Has anyone ID'd the type of can Sgt Horvath uses to collect the dirt of the places he's been from Saving Private Ryan? Not even sure where to begin with this one.

SGTHorvathDirtCans.jpg

Why isn't that a Sterno can? Or a peanut butter can? Or a shoe dubbing can? They were all the same can! The army had ONE CAN! Why isn't that an army can??

I don't think they had sharpies or magic markers either. :unsure:

Looks like an off the shelf slip top tin but, they seem to be sold in oz rather than dimension and a lot of the deeper tins like that have an indented lid as opposed to the flat lid shown above.

They did have felt tip markers back then but the writing would not hold up to the wear and tear of being carried around in a pack and being handled a lot. Btw, the cans kinda look like old film developing cans. You put the film in the cans along with the chemical in a completely dark room and slosh it gently back and forth for a certain amount of time. That would be a period can. My 2 cents. I happen to be a WW2 Militaria collector and do living history. Also, the felt tip markers weren’t permanent.

Last edited:
My reply is the idea that an experienced NCO would be lugging around cans of dirt, instead of ammo or water or something he actually needs in combat is idiotic plot device, Way to go Hollywood, you are insulting our intelligence AGAIN.

An experience NCO wouldn't be carrying anything he didn't need. The whole idea of lugging around cans of dirt, when ammo or water could save your life is just plain stupid.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back