SG Chevron Wall Sconce Build Thread

Draphin

Sr Member
Ok here we go. I am going to attempt my first build thread.

Thanks to FuseNova for the project inspiration and the rest of the RPF for their inspiration I am getting started on a new project.

I have been admiring FuseNova Stargate Wall sconce and after a little work I had a base of measurements to go off of. I then took that, a couple of screen caps, and some creative license to come up with this Sketch-Up model. Pic 1 Sorry for the giant pic I cant quite figure out how to repost a pic I posted elsewhere without it going jumbo like this. Something to play with later I guess.

stargate-chevron-light-sconce-screen-shot-2011-06-02-3.05.45-am.png-55383d1307003443

I have since got my space ready. Unfortunately my Drafting table / work space has become encumbered with "Stuff" so I had to whip up a quick stand. (thank god for scrap wood) Pic 2

I then got to work transferring my base dimensions to a piece of 1/4" white faced hardboard. (gotta love the scrap bin at home depot.) And this is where I am at for now. Pic 3

Let me know what Yall think.

P.S. I figured this was the best place for this thread. If not feel free to put it where it needs to be.

WHOA ! Now THIS is the way to do things !

This is going to end up looking spectacular !!!!

Thank you for the vote of confidence Alan. Coming from someone with such an extensive collection and also from one who has created something similar himself... it means alot. :cry

ok I'll stop getting mushy now. I was going to wait till later to add this because I am not quite sure or ready for it yet but I am thinking of adding led strips in the wings for down lighting.

Love the design and the down lighting will look awesome.

Consider using dimmable RGB LED strips to give you more lighting options down the road. Red for low light conditions or something brighter at other times.

Love the design and the down lighting will look awesome.

Consider using dimmable RGB LED strips to give you more lighting options down the road. Red for low light conditions or something brighter at other times.

It's a thought but for right now I am hoping to find the electrical parts at my local home centre.

Thank you for the vote of confidence Alan. Coming from someone with such an extensive collection and also from one who has created something similar himself... it means alot. :cry

If my collection was anything to go by, I would be building Darth Vader helmets with ALL the correct dings, scars, scratches etc, and become a gazillionaire :lol

You give me way too much credit man, all I did was cut an old plank with a hastily drawn thingy using my son's ruler and a level :lol

YOU are doing it the correct way, and it will show :thumbsup

UPDATE:
After trying to figure out some of the Geometry on this sucker. I think I am going back to the drawing board for a couple tweeks. The good news is these tweeks should not affect the work I have done so far. I have since found some better screen caps of the chevron. More specifically the V wing. I may have taken to much creative license with it making it far more difficult than it needs to be so hopefully I will actually be making this build easier... fingers crossed.

Widest part of the V at the top from outer tip to outer tip is 22 1/2 inches.

Top of the V flat areas are 5 3/4 inches

Lower flat part of the V is 4 3/4 inches and the upper inner flat area is 3 inches.

The horizontal bars are 3/4 inches wide. Both the raised and lower sections, and the recess depth of the lower sections are 1/8 of an inch. The blueprints actually show them constructing it by laminating a 1/8 inch layer on top of the base shape to reach final dimensions

Chevron V Wing is 1 inch thick.

Allignment V Notch on the lower bar is 1/2 inch wide on my actual SG1 production chevron V, Blueprints call for it to be 1 inch, so it might have been 1 inch on the movie version which is what the blueprints were adapted from.

The inner chamfer is set back from the inner edge by 1 inch so the chamfer face is about 1 3/16ths of an inch.

That should let you mock it up fairly easily to spec. I just won the Upper/Outer Chevron wings this last week, but if you need spec's on them I can pull them off the Atlantis gate segment and it'll be close to SG1 Spec

Widest part of the V at the top from outer tip to outer tip is 22 1/2 inches.

Top of the V flat areas are 5 3/4 inches

Lower flat part of the V is 4 3/4 inches and the upper inner flat area is 3 inches.

The horizontal bars are 3/4 inches wide. Both the raised and lower sections, and the recess depth of the lower sections are 1/8 of an inch. The blueprints actually show them constructing it by laminating a 1/8 inch layer on top of the base shape to reach final dimensions

Chevron V Wing is 1 inch thick.

Allignment V Notch on the lower bar is 1/2 inch wide on my actual SG1 production chevron V, Blueprints call for it to be 1 inch, so it might have been 1 inch on the movie version which is what the blueprints were adapted from.

The inner chamfer is set back from the inner edge by 1 inch so the chamfer face is about 1 3/16ths of an inch.

That should let you mock it up fairly easily to spec. I just won the Upper/Outer Chevron wings this last week, but if you need spec's on them I can pull them off the Atlantis gate segment and it'll be close to SG1 Spec

THANK YOU! this is great info.

You mention blue prints... Is there a copy of them online I can look at? and if so where would it be?

Only 1 or 2 of the prints have been posted online by other people over the years. There's been a few pages sold by Legends Memorabilia, and 1 incomplete set and 1 complete set sold by Propworx. I've got the complete set that was in Live Auction 1. I've just got soooooo much going on I haven't had time to offer 11x17 set copies

Only 1 or 2 of the prints have been posted online by other people over the years. There's been a few pages sold by Legends Memorabilia, and 1 incomplete set and 1 complete set sold by Propworx. I've got the complete set that was in Live Auction 1. I've just got soooooo much going on I haven't had time to offer 11x17 set copies

No rush. but whenever you do Please Send me a PDF or JPEG or what ever format. If nothing else It would just be cool to have. If you do Paper copies let me know as well I'll pay postage..

So I spent the day redoing my Sketch-up model and I am allot happier with it now. I had to add extra depth the accommodate the standard lights. However I am going to do some additional research into LEDs which might mean it can be a bit more slim. God what I wouldnt give for a 3D Printer right now.

Last edited:
Looks like in the pic you have the wings attached to the V. There should be some space there between the two

Ya I know but I have to tackle that bridge a bit later as they are going to have to connect somehow. And as far as I can tell they used to connect via the Stargate which I am not going to build. I think it will just be a small recessed fill towards the back painted black to hide it and make it look like it is floating. Ohhh Magic! I also forgot the v notch on the front lower flat face. opps. In then end I will probably post a pic of my finished Model next to the one I have built to show a sort of before and after.

In the mean time I have been trying to attack the twisted outside chamfer of the V and I think I have it. no pics as of yet but I am making a solid wood block for each side to lay the strips on then assemble them and finally remove them from the mold and then place them on the Model. To get that twisted face on the wood mold however I am going to cut out that section keeping the two ridges that define the face then fill it with Plaster and screed it using the two ridges. This should give me the best flat surface. try to do it with sanders and or saws Does not cut it. I already have the blocks cut out I just have to buy some plaster tomorrow then carve out the faces so I can fill them. I will post pics when they are done.

Till then keep the input coming. I am loving this project.

Well this morning I decided to play with the top wings and well I am just not sure. Perhaps it is the space I put between them and the outer V (1/2" which I chose to bring the top of the wing even with the top of the whole model) but my ref pic looks like it is sitting right on top. All be it in others I can see a bit of a gap. So I will try it with less, perhaps only an 1/8". However they also do not align flat with the top of the V either in the other ref pics. They align more with the ark of the gate which makes them touch outer edge of the V while the inner portion of the wing sits above the V. I think for this project since it is not really a "Screen Accurate reproduction" but a functional wall sconce and since I am going to add lights in the bottom of the wings I might just go with my original. I just don't know. :wacko

Here are some pics tell me what you think.
The left side has the 1/8" space and the right has 1/2" also check these other ref pics. you will see the angle I am talking about.

Update:

ok well I have been trying to figure outhow to cut some of these parts so I can get some structure out of them and I keep coming back to the fact that it will be easirer to just but them and then fill any gaps with Bondo. However as I have never used bondo before I dont know if it has any adhesive properties. or if it is just a filler. The gaps will between the edges of 1/8" masonite hard-board. And will be directly infront of lights and there heat. If Bondo is not the way to go then any suggestions would be appreciated.

There's about a 1/2 inch of space at the closest part of the wing to the top of the V

56d027bc.jpg

47684390.jpg

Bondo won't hold long term as a glue, Masonite or MDF can swell when painted which could cause the bondo to let go and bondo is hydrophylic and will attract water and absorb it even out of humid air.

WOW :eek Great pics. Ok I am sold! Thanks for the help.
I am getting back into this. Last weekend I had a washing machine disaster and had to tear the thing apart to figure out how to fix it now the part is on order so while I wait... I am not to worried about the Masonite swelling as I am going to be sealing it with lacquer to get a smooth base. plus I will be using Spray paint which I have had very good luck with not causing swelling either.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back