Seaquest Darwin Vocorder

Bump for any other pictures you might have Mike! ;)

Here ya Go,

2892659781_e5797f5fc3.jpg

If you want to see it larger you will have to go to my flicker.com page just search: propologist

HMS Mike

Here ya Go,

If you want to see it larger you will have to go to my flicker.com page just search: propologist

HMS Mike

Those are great as well Mike! Thank you. If you have any other Seaquest prop pictures you'd like to share please post 'em or just put them in your Flickr gallery.

Yeah, that one looks real close. You can see that the aperture for the sensor is much wider and was modified for use on the prop.

I recently won an older Fluke protective case on Ebay but when it arrived it was clearly not the right one used on the vocorder. Rib patterns were wrong and it had a clip on it... oh well, cost only $3.

Looks like the photo I had on my computer wasn't of the Vocorder, but of a wall mounted communication device.

I don't know if there are any common parts between the two, but the overall design is similar.

SEAQUESTCOMMUNICATOR.jpg

Not to get off track, but here's a little info on this other prop- it was a 'phone' device inside Brody's Dagger Island escape pod from the season 2 opener 'Daggers'. It wasn't actually used onboard the seaQuest itself. It was made from a maplight/compass/clock gadget sold back in the 90s- it was supposed to be stuck to the headliner of your car.

Mark

BUMP!

After digging through lists of discontinued (read: old) Fluke case deigns, I found what seems to be the closest model yet to the prop. It's the Fluke C81Y.

c81yg.jpg

picture3jg.png

picture2uu.png

c81ycomparison2.jpg

It's the only one I've seen with the curved bottom profile with five ribs, as well as the thick edge bevel that stops about 2/3 up the length.

You'd have to trim the top lip, back "hooks" and the little bevel on the bottom, like so:

c81ycomparison.jpg

I can't see the top of the vocoder well enough to tell if it has five ribs up there, which would be the clincher, IMO.

Lately I've been watching saQuest on Netflix, and I'd really love to make one of these guys. Let's get the rest of it IDed! I know you can do it.

Wow!! I think you've nailed the case. It's either the exact model or pretty darn close. Unless Mike has any photos of the backside... The five ribs at the bottom and the details on the side look spot on. Great job!

Wow!! I think you've nailed the case. It's either the exact model or pretty darn close. Unless Mike has any photos of the backside... The five ribs at the bottom and the details on the side look spot on. Great job!

"Pretty darn" close is about it. It does have the five ribs at the top, but the back doesn't match at all:

vocorderback2.png

Notice the lack of those grooves used for storing the leads. Instead, it's got what appears to be an "E"-shaped raised section on the back near the top (under Lucas's index finger, with the bars of the "E" pointing down):

picture6vvt.png

The C81Y is the closest model Fluke makes (well, made), and holsters get less and less similar as you look at other manufacturers. So who knows. For all we know, this is some weird no-name generic or knockoff case that someone had sitting in a box somewhere and we'll never ID it.

Guys,
It is a Fluke case. You have the right case it was just modified. The propmaster purchased the whole multimeter set up just to get the case. He gave me the meter, But I do not have it any more or I would have told you what model it was.

HMS Mike

This thread is awesome!. I too recently went on a DSV marathon and was scrutinizing the same thing. I look reward to more info.

Last edited:
Guys,
It is a Fluke case. You have the right case it was just modified. The propmaster purchased the whole multimeter set up just to get the case. He gave me the meter, But I do not have it any more or I would have told you what model it was.

HMS Mike

Cool. Glad to get word from the man himself.

I still think it's a case model we haven't found yet, but nice to get it narrowed down to Fluke for sure. Unless you guys filled in the grooves on the back – I've been under the impression these cases are soft vinyl, and you couldn't do that, but maybe not?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back