SDS 'Battle Spec' helmet

trooper70

Firstly I don’t wish to rake up the old arguments regarding AA/SDS. To me it was clear regarding the inaccuracies of the SDS ‘Stunt’ helmet (the flare under the vocoder & cheek tubes, rear of the cap/backpiece etc)

But what I wanted to know is: Did AA rectify these inaccuracies with the release of the Battle Spec helmet from a little while ago?
ItÂ’s hard to tell from the pics on the SDS website.

The faceplate looks OK, it seems that the flare has been corrected, but can anyone shed any light on the downwards ‘swoop’ that was absent on the ‘Stunt’ helmet’s rear tube? Was it improved on the Battle Spec helmet?

Thanks for any info you can give

Cheers, Sean

<div class='quotetop'>(trooper70 @ Jun 25 2006, 06:50 PM) [snapback]1267880[/snapback]</div>
Firstly I don’t wish to rake up the old arguments regarding AA/SDS. To me it was clear regarding the inaccuracies of the SDS ‘Stunt’ helmet (the flare under the vocoder & cheek tubes, rear of the cap/backpiece etc)

But what I wanted to know is: Did AA rectify these inaccuracies with the release of the Battle Spec helmet from a little while ago?
ItÂ’s hard to tell from the pics on the SDS website.

The faceplate looks OK, it seems that the flare has been corrected, but can anyone shed any light on the downwards ‘swoop’ that was absent on the ‘Stunt’ helmet’s rear tube? Was it improved on the Battle Spec helmet?

Thanks for any info you can give

Cheers, Sean
[/b]

I was under the impression that it was exactly the same except the ear caps and back cap were a one piece to save on assembly time. It was purely done like this for cheaper production for a helmet for trooping rather than displaying. I think it was also made in a more durable material.

I don't think anything was changed but maybe somebody who owns the battle spec or even both the helmets could enlighten us.

Cheers Chris.

Yeah I remember that one-piece idea was suggested by AA prior to production of the 'Battle Spec' helmet to bring the cost down, but apparently in the end the construction was done with the proper four main pieces, with a separate face, cap/back and two ears, you can see it taken apart here

Battle Spec

The only changes from the Stunt to the Battle Spec that I know of are that it's ABS instead of Stryene and just about all the grey is done with decals, no paint (although most of the SDS Stunt comes with decals anyway :confused ) Still got those weird shaped ear pieces unfortunately.

Now on the SDS website it says of the Battle Spec helmet: "We have squared up the asymmetry of the original stunt", and I notice that the characteristic imperfection is still in the right eye, so I wonder if he's talking about improvements to the cap/backpiece after poor feedback from the Stunt helmet?

And if AA has changed the cap/back piece compared to the stunt he could (should) also of taken the opportunity to add the downwards swoop on the rear tube (sorry I don't know what else to call it) to make it look more like the screen used ST helmets.

I did email to ask AA, but he just kept going on about the original molds etc etc :rolleyes

But I reckon that if AA did put that cap/backpiece right, and with the removal of the flare on the faceplate, hey, it wouldn't be a bad looking helmet in the flesh. Bit pricey at 295 quid, but when you start adding shipping and import charges from the US on other helmets I've bought it doesn't seem quite as bad.

I haven't seen pics of a Battle Spec helmet compared side by side to say a TE, GF or AP/ABS80. Had a look at Starwarshelmets.com but it just shows the SDS Stunt helmet with comparisons.

Great info trooper70 I am sure I saw pics of the battlespec helmet from a member here with the earcaps and back cap as one piece (I may well be wrong on that) so if there was a change I think it would have been after the first ones were made.

I didn't really like the look of the battlespec when it was first shown off so didn't pay too much attention but it is interesting the link you posted.

Judging by the pics on the SDS website the battlespec helmet shown certainly has separate ear caps. It doesn't look any inaccuraces have been removed on the SDS website and the link you posted.

If you are worried about import duty from the US just get the seller to put the parcel marked as a gift or put a low value on it. You might run the risk of it being damaged and only getting a low amount of cash back but its a risk you have to weigh up yourself. Just a thought :unsure .

Cheers Chris.

I can't confirm on any cosmetic changes, but the Battle Spec does have separate ears exactly like the previous stunt version..

The rectangular 'caps' on the ears are also separate pieces, and so is the chin vocoder.

Material is thicker grade, as it is designed for trooping... still a bit thin in a few places though.

I own the Battle Spec and am happy with it...mostly. There are some angles where it doesn't quite 'look right.' Mostly it's the back rear of the helm. from the front and most other angles it's a beautiful thing. Almost as nice as one of TE's or others cast directly from a real, screen-used helmet. I love the armor though, whether it came from original molds or NOT. (emphasis added)[attachmentid=8757]

Looking good BeatleTrooper :)

I have to admit I like the armour too, although it's origins are a whooooole other topic :unsure
Most accurate shoulder bells available tho IMO

It's interesting that you mentioned the back rear of the helmets. Do you have any pics of the back & sides with it being worn? I'd be really interested to see

Yeah, had to trim those locks of mine if I was gonna pass Empire muster, huh?

I am VERY happy with the armor but as you say, origins are sketchy at best. It was my best choice for ease of purchase and for the fact that it was all put together. Here's a couple more shots, though none of just the rear of the helmet.[attachmentid=8761][attachmentid=8762]

Hi, I have a SDS battle spec helmet.
It's not heavy at all and not that bad I think, I 'm not a trooper expert but I find this helmet really nice, I like it.

storm11rq.jpg

storm23rx.jpg

The only mod that I might perform is getting hold of some thicker green lens material. The stuff that came with it is like cellophane...only thinner.

So, other than that I'm very happy. I'm more happy with the armor itself.

<div class='quotetop'>(arek @ Jun 29 2006, 11:34 AM) [snapback]1270597[/snapback]</div>
Did you guys need to mod the helmets like Danny Choo shows on his website?
[/b]

Not seen his website, but I modded mine a fair bit..

Removed the frown sticker, and painted the correct Humbrol #5 grey colour, added the pinstripe around the ear caps. Removed the plastic vocoder, and painted the area instead.

Sprayed the inside black, and added darker lenses. Also added a full ROM/FX setup, so needed to drill out the aerators and behind to allow the speakers to sound through.

Just waiting on my armour...... been 16 weeks so far.... but should get it in the next few days...

I don't recall exactly how long I waited, but it seemed like a few months. I was getting anxious, what with the LFL lawsuit and all. I was afraid that they might go under before I received my body bucket. Now I think they'll be around for a while but don't hold me to that.

[attachmentid=8824]

Is it me or is there something wrong with the left eye? At first i thought it was poorly trimmed,but is it just the eye lense moving out a little?

It is a great looking helmet,but because he put up the price i dont think ill be investing in one :( Still cant figure out how he can justify that.

<div class='quotetop'>(mikajedi @ Jun 28 2006, 09:51 PM) [snapback]1270221[/snapback]</div>
It's not heavy at all and not that bad I think, I 'm not a trooper expert but I find this helmet really nice, I like it.

storm11rq.jpg

storm23rx.jpg

[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>(_Lee_ @ Jul 2 2006, 09:16 AM) [snapback]1272447[/snapback]</div>
Is it me or is there something wrong with the left eye? At first i thought it was poorly trimmed,but is it just the eye lense moving out a little?

It is a great looking helmet,but because he put up the price i dont think ill be investing in one :( Still cant figure out how he can justify that.

[/b]
*cough*legalfees*cough*

That, or he is trying to get everything out of it he can before LFL pulls his plug for good.

<div class='quotetop'>(mikajedi @ Jun 29 2006, 04:51 AM) [snapback]1270221[/snapback]</div>

[/b]

I'm want one because its a lighter weighing helmet. But i don't want the flak from my wife so i won't get it :cry

<div class='quotetop'>(TK/TB6540 @ Jun 29 2006, 10:47 PM) [snapback]1270998[/snapback]</div>
Removed the plastic vocoder, and painted the area instead.[/b]

Hey TK/TB6540, I understood that the vocoder area had had been modified to house the glued-on vocoder, making it unsuitable for painting as it's not the proper shape?

I have to admit I'm not over keen on the supplied vocoder from the look of the pictures I've seen. OK I could live with it being a separate piece if it was the correct shape, but the tips seem to splay out somewhat :confused

Could you show any pics of your vocoder painted as it is now?

Cheers, Sean

The glued on vocoder on my battle spec helmet bugs me too. If I could remove it, paint it and have it look right, I'd be willing to.

I'm also toying with the idea of removing the blue stripes on the cheek tubes and go as 'Mr Stripeless' as seen in ANH. I always liked the look of that.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back