Scratch Built Hensoldt Scope

I meant "how thick is it?" The clean hacksaw cut was easier than I expected. That's why I built the stem. I was able to keep it square and the saw pressed up against the ledge of the knurl to make a straight cut.

Here is a mock up with a washer on top and the aluminum base. The backside is just plastic for now.

Photo Jun 08, 10 10 30 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Looking great! I'm going to try to cut up a brass pipe cap for the base, but yours looks great! The nut I have is about 1/4", don't have it on hand to measure though. I can check later if you like.

I like the washer on top look, I'll bet you'll be able to rig it up to turn, which would be super cool. You might even be able to hand cut a basic straight knurl and it would look great, but perhaps grinding another aerator down would look better. I'm definitely leaning toward going with your parts now that I see how they look. Really great work!

Thanks for all the support!

I do want to make the top spin, that would be a nice feature of limited utility but maximum pride. I have a plan for how to do it.

I successfully tested cutting a hole in some scrap to seat the base. Next up will be finishing the top and cutting the copper for the back.

Photo Jun 09, 8 20 34 PM.jpgPhoto Jun 09, 8 20 22 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Happy Days,

My second aerator arrived, and the grind down method couldn't have gone better. I attached the aerator to the stem I created, stuck the stem in a drill and pressed it against a metal file = really poor man's lathe. It worked!. I hacked it off as i did in post 18 and stuck a flattened dime in for now.

Photo Jun 10, 12 54 44 PM.jpgPhoto Jun 10, 12 55 39 PM.jpgPhoto Jun 10, 12 55 02 PM.jpg

And here it is on my stubby mock up...
File_000.jpeg

Also, thanks for the offer Tomm, but I don't think I need them.

Last edited:
More progress on the knob. I found some washers that fit inside the hole after grinding it out a bit. Basically, I glued two sets of two together and then glued them inside the two parts of the knob. The second washer hangs under the top piece and fits nicely in the bottom section.

DSC00160.JPGDSC00164.JPGDSC00163.JPG

For the top I converted a shorter version of a bolt like this....
DSC00166.JPG

to this...
DSC00170.JPG

by hacking off the nut top and then grinding it down to fit.

All put together it looks like this...
DSC00171.JPG

Now the top ring spins. It's still not totally done, but I'm done for today.

Last edited:
It's a lot of work, but the results are looking to be worth it. Any idea what size of washer you used? I'll probably pick up that aerator you found at home depot and give this a shot, I'm sure they've got washers about the right size for that aerator too.

The knob is basically done. I just need to do some finishing sanding. I think I'll just glue some flat-head screw heads to the top to complete the look,

Photo Jun 12, 1 41 21 PM.jpg Photo Jun 12, 1 41 58 PM.jpgPhoto Jun 12, 1 56 49 PM.jpgPhoto Jun 12, 1 56 16 PM.jpg

Last edited:
I have a washer that sticks out below. That acts as the round base atop the aluminum block. Is that what you mean?

Photo Jun 15, 7 26 13 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Looks awesome! I'd love to see some little screws on top of the knob though. Can wait to see it painted!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back