scalemail

Thanks! I was also wondering with thw other type of scale maille what type of frabric do you back it with? I figure it would have to be heavy duty and durable but which kind is used?
:thumbsup

Thanks! I was also wondering with thw other type of scale maille what type of frabric do you back it with? I figure it would have to be heavy duty and durable but which kind is used?
:thumbsup

Many people use thin leather. Some people use tight-woven canvass or twill. I've heard of some people using denim. The appearance of the cloth doesn't matter since the scales cover all of it.

In lamellar scale, there is no cloth--the scales are sewn directly to each other and hold each other together.

Thanks I read your armor posy again I seen what you sew it with but do you not bak your armor with fabric. Sorry if I missed it I'm on a phone sometimes its hard to read or type. Sorry new to armor and trying to get lots of information :)

Thanks I read your armor posy again I seen what you sew it with but do you not bak your armor with fabric. Sorry if I missed it I'm on a phone sometimes its hard to read or type. Sorry new to armor and trying to get lots of information :)

There are two different types of scale armor. The diagram I posted shows how ordinary scale is sewn in overlapping rows to a cloth or thin leather backing. That's just a matter of punching some holes in the top of each scale and threading through them.

The metal scale armor vest in the photo is a different type of scale, known as "lamellar". Lamellar does not use any cloth backing--instead the scales are punched with two holes on each edge, and these are all threaded to each other to hold them all together. The sewing pattern for lamellar looks like this:

8574800753_effe06f17e.jpg

You'll be placing the holes on each scale so they overlap the holes in the neighboring scales, then threading through them.

Lamellar armor was used extensively in the areas that are now Russia and Eastern Europe. It was also used by the Muslims, and Japanese samurai armor was made of leather lamellar scales threaded together with silk.

Kinda forgot about this thread. So, it seems like theres a few people that know some things about this topic, however, still no patterns for making sleeves....

Hi everyone. Thanks for the replies. I am using the small scales purchased from the ring lord. I am hoping to do a full sleeve from wrist to a little past the shoulder with preferably no chainmail filler. lflank, i have seen a lot of people out there that weave the scales with fabric or yarn and while it works and is lighter id prefer to use another technique. I hope the pic i've included is a little bit clearer as to what i want to make. Just the sleeve.
View attachment 127679
picture was captured from another forum

That scalemail looks quite good but I wonder, it seems to be quite tight... how to do fit into one? Is it flexible or is it open at the back?

Yep.

And I'm right there with you, Lflank - I might do something like the above if they were aluminum or plastic scales. Steel or bronze? Noooo thanks!

Maille shirts aren't too bad, weight-wise. And if you wear a belt with it, a decent amount of the weight gets distributed to your hips, which makes it easier.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back