Sapper's NX-01 Build - Time it with a slooow calendar!

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by sapper36, Feb 17, 2012.

1. sapper36

sapper36 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

First off - This build would not be happening without the inspration of Steve Neill - Steve - I've enjoyed your build threads more that watching Episode 1 in 3D! Anything that comes out looking OK in this build is because I'm standing on the shoulders of a giant!

So what am I going to do different? Here goes:

Straighten out the nacelles (At least mine have a definate droop to them)
    Add flashing navigation lights
    Open up the Shuttle bay & have removable shuttles
    Build an effects style support so I can support the model & provide power though either side with a cantilevered stand - just fore of the shuttle bay
    Add a constant on red LED to the engine effect.

And maybe more!!!

So I've got lots of research done & laid out a work plan to track my hours worked.

[​IMG]

As you can see I've started to attach the rim parts to the lower saucer. I also built a "Spacedock"tm to ensure the nacelles get straight. My first attempt to dry fit showed that there is a definate sag of 1-2 cm at the rear of the nacelles. I built the spacedock from foamcore using blown up plans from the directions in the box.

I'm also using Steve's patented parts box to organize my parts

[​IMG]

and I'm going to preassemble a bit more that Steve before the paint hits anything. - I got the nacelles cut down like that from whoever bought the kit from - Looks smart to me though - Should be able to do a good job of fixing & hiding the seams this way.

[​IMG]

So there's where I am - Hopefully a new update in a week or so.

2. sapper36

BTW - I'll have better pics coming - just shot those quick with my I-Phone this morning.

PS - Anybody got a file of the shuttlepods I could send to shapeways? It would save me a good bit of scratchbuilding.

3. opal1970

opal1970 Well-Known Member

Hi Sapper,

Looking good, I bought a NX-01 also but I have a couple other projects that I will be doing first to get my skills up to speed. I will definatly be following your work.
    How do you plan on making the shuttlepods removable? I was thinking about making the "pod-catcher-thingy" that telescopes down to catch the shuttlepods and put a magnet on the end and corrisponding metal on the pod... but I am not sure yet.

Jason

4. sapper36

Thanks Jason - Really appreciate thelink to Federation Models - Ordred 6 of the Shuttlepods - They look good & will save me a decent bit of work.

I intend to hang the shuttles from the umbilical tubes. I'm going to make the tubes out of telescoping aluminum with just a friction fit to hold them in - Then I can replace them as I like. I may make the doors replacable too.

So here's a pic showing the side view in my Spacedock next to a 1:1000 NX-01 I built up to warm up & practice on the decals:

[​IMG]

Here you can clearly see the significant nacelle droop. Looks much more droopy than Steve's did - It looks like a flaw in the kit - I don't see any warping on the struts, no big gaps so this will require some surgery - My plan of attack is to try to rotate the struts at the base and do a bit of shimming and trimming where the nacelle joins the strut until they are straight & true. We'll see if I can acheive success here.

Other than some more dry fitting did a bit of drilling & opening up windows for lighting.

[​IMG]
    Upper obervation windows opened up & hull opened up behind them.

[​IMG]
    Lower shuttle operations windows & searchlights opened up.

[​IMG]
    4 beacons added to the shuttle launch area. Not marked on the kit.

Hopefully more to come. Only got in a couple hours the last few days due to a Boy Scout camp this last weekend.

5. sapper36

[​IMG]
    Almost forgot - drilled out the fiberoptic routes for the cargo bay searchlights. because of the angle I drilled here the actual channel goes at a steep angle through the plastic so actually drilled throgh about 2 cm!

6. opal1970

Hey Sapper,
    looking good. you are very welcome about the link.

I will be doing my TOS Galactica and then I will have to flip a coin as to whether i start the 350 NX-01 or the 350 Klingon Bird of Prey and then as a crown jewel I will do my 350 Big "E", all of which are patiently waiting their turn in my makeshift hobby room.

I have read alot about the drooping nacelles problem... I kinda like the idea of welding a metal skeleton for these types of models. I am not sure yet but after a first inspection of the parts I noticed that the connection to the main body is awfully thin on the NX... not sure if that is an option here.

I have already done quite a bit of research for the NX-01 if you want I can send you a whole truckload of high res blueprints etc. that I found. You were already following Steve's customer build, so you have the best material to work with. Hey Steve, if you are reading, I loved your color comparison with the unpainted B-17 and B-29s, I think that fits the mood/age perfectly.

How do the "ribbing" lines match up on the seam of your nacelles? I looked at mine and it did not look horribly bad, but still it is going to be a pain in the butt to line them up seamlessly.

Take care,
    Jason

7. sapper36

I didn't really have much interest in this kit till Steve's thread got me obsessed! I'm kind of using this as a warm up for the 1:350 refit too. Now I'm really liking how its coming together.

My Nacelles themselves don't look bad at all & I owe a debt to he guy I bought the kit from who sawed off the front ends of the nacelles. It's going to make seaming them much easier.

I'd appreciate any & all reference & blueprints you'd care to share. I've got a binder filled with pics from Steve's build & Doug Drexler's website, but there's always room for more. Especially if you have any plan layouts for the shuttlebay.

I'll enjoy watching your Galactica build. That upgrade kit does look nice!

8. opal1970

ok, I will zip them up and see if they are email-able. I also have a very nice article from John Cook that goes into deep detail on his build, I think you will like that.

9. opal1970

just zipped them and they still ring in at a little under 100mb (well, I did say they were high resolution :) ). I will have to load it up to my web site and send you a link to download them.

you may already have this, but here is some nice closeups of the nx-01 and interesting facts. I believe the majority of the site is in German but this page was English...

Ex Astris Scientia - A Close Look at Enterprise NX-01

Another really good build in youtube is from Helipilot. He did a great job on his 350 Refit a while back and is currently in the middle of a NX-01, he saved me from making mistakes on more than one occasion and has alot of good ideas...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWs5n0js1B8&feature=related

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  10. sapper36

[​IMG]

Thanks again Jason for the links - I'm putting the diagram of the NX-01 to good use!

I.m trying to decide exactly where to mount the model at this point. The mountingwill be stainless steel tubing with the power rinning through a coax connector at the end. I'll use brasstubing to build the interior structure so I can solder it all together for strength.

The dilemna is: Option A or B

Option A is to locate the interior tube as in the diagram at the rear aux thruster bodies. The advantage is an easy to open access point, but the tubing will run straight through the shuttle area - I want an open shuttle bay so I'd have to build a split into the middle of the tube. Also I'd only get about 3 or 4 inches of overlap between the brass & stainless tubing.

Option B locates the interior tube just forward of the aux thruster bodies and the forward wall of the shuttle bay. The only disadvantage I see there is trickier panel hiding for the access points.

For A and B it looks like I'll have to run extra LEDs for Aux Thruster windows bacause the tubing will block the ambient saucer lighting.

Anothe great update - The Federation Models Shuttlepods came today - They look pretty darn good & should fit the bays just right - Pics tonight!

11. sapper36

Ooops - forgot - The other disadvantage of B is it's slightly forward of the center of gravity so I need to include an anti-tipping mechanism ( I could probably extract one from a Canadian tourist - LOL!)

12. sapper36

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So there are the Shuttlepods - I think they'll look pretty good - Don't know if I could make them any better.

13. opal1970

Hey Sapper,

you are welcome regarding the links, sorry havent gotten around to uploading all the HighRes pics yet.
    yes PL does a really good job on his stuff. I already had the NX shuttlepods and I ordered a whole bunch of Star Trek stuff that just got here the other day, it is just amazing the amount of detail that is packed into them. Which reminds me, as you too will be doing a 350 refit, I definatly recommend ordering the travel pods, work bees, and shuttles.

Take Care,
    Jason

14. trekriffic

trekriffic Sr Member

Did the wings fold up on those shuttles in the series? They must or otherwise it looks like they wouldn't fit thru the doors.

15. sapper36

You are correct sir! If you look at the podsin the bay or launching the wings appear to be retracted - Where to I don't know - I guess right into the engines! Federation made these smartly beause I'll just file the launching & parked pods down to the correct retracted wing shape & mount a couple on acrylic rod for "in-flight"

16. opal1970

Never saw the pods in "storage-mode", but personally, I would store them with the wings in a "folded-up" position, similar to the planes on a aircraft carrier. I think the effect would look slightly more realistic.

17. sapper36

Anybody want to take a bet on if Doug Drexler suggested wings that fold upwards & producers shot it down? I'm going to build retracted though to keep it looking like the show.

18. opal1970

well didn't they always shoot down Doug's suggestions that made sense? :behave

just an afterthought... if you are going to build them retracted, you might want to make a slot and leave a tip of the wing sticking out or maybe the tip visible inside the slot... no idea but it might make it realistic or at least make it evident as to where the wings are.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  19. opal1970

Speaking of Doug, here are some CG images of the shuttlepod...
    https://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/05/08/starfleet-shuttlepod/

And some great hangerbay shots...
    http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/03/31/nx-hangar-bay-2/

and as for retractable wings, looks like I am going to have to eat my hat... seems as if even the refit-era shuttle had retractable wings, that were lost in the evolution...

"The shuttles also had a small, stub wings on the craft's center line.... By the 2370s, two side windows had been added just forward of the side doors, and the wings had been removed." - Memory Alpha

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  20. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

There's a building thread somewhere on this build I did for a customer. Doug who's an old friend of mine sent me all kinds of renders that are new of the ship since he still has the CGI model on hand. I posted many of them and the correct base color to use.

You might do a search on it. and the Acreation decals are exactly correct if not a bit trying to put on.

Enjoy the build. Doug bought me one and sent it to me I plan to build this year complete with a plague he signed as its designer.

Steve

21. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

22. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

I just realized that you already know about this. Sorry. Brain fart but it's good to see you building this great kit just the same!

Steve

23. sapper36

Thanks for chiming in Steve - Yup - I have a passing familiarity with your build thread... - Couldn't get this doone without you!

Sorry for the radio silence - Took my Scout Troop for a 20-mile hike Saturday - Good God I'm Old!

Got a little bit done Sunday - Started building the support structure for the inside. I took a side blueprint - Marked off where the support tube door will go & cut out the profile - Much to my surprise after I cut them out of Brass they fit pretty close on the first try!

Also picked up some basswood oval plaques at Michael's Art to make the base - one about 16"x11" & the other about a quarter that.

Won't be many updates for the next week - I had to pack up & betten down the hatches because of Hurrican Abigail getting ready to hit in a few days (That's my 18 mo grand-daughter)

Will post a couple update pics when I get a chance.

24. opal1970

Ohhh the good ol' days... that brings back memories (that I was trying to forget :lol). 20 miles, that is quite a bit, when I was in the military my longest was 30 Kilometers (about 17 or 18 miles), of course with loaded rucksack etc.

Jason

25. sapper36

Howdy Gang! Long time - little work!

The kids are going back home shortly so work will be starting back up this weekend hopefully! So what have I done with my enforced hiatus?

Studying!

26. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

I've liked this ship ever since I watched Steve's build. Now Ill watch this one.
    I need to do one my own self!:cool

27. sapper36

I'm gonna try to make it worth your while.

So what have I learned? I started with the 4th season disks and lucked into watching the episode where trip travereses the 50 meters between Enterprise and Columbia at Warp 5 - The episode has great shots looking straight into the shuttle bays. Just what I needed! So what have I learned aboutthe shuttle bays?

1 - I don't think they ever showed the front two bays. I suspect the story point of Enterprise launching short 2 of her 4 shuttlepods was to cover that they only built half the shuttlrebay set.

2 - The doors have two layers - An exterior sliding garage door and two interior hinged doors that swing out. This necessitates a space between the hanger floor and the garage doors. Good for me because now I'll have space for the fiber optics for the spotlights.

3 - The pods launch facing forward

4 - There is a wall or half wall between the forward & aft parking spaces. There seems to be some kind of observation window on the upper deck. THere seem to be ceiling lights on the ceiling of that passageway.

5 - The pods wings retract for storage, launching & retreival

6 - There are 4 or 5 rectangular light fixtures along the inboard side of each pod door on the ceiling. There seem to be 2 more rectangular fixtures on the ouboard side one fore one aft. Plus multiple small track lighing can fixtures.

Trying to get my blueprints done & will post more as get some done. I found some nice phototch to do the walkways - hat should get here next week!

Plus I think I am going to upen up one of the cargo bays two - The extra photo etch should make for some good detailing opportunities there!

28. sapper36

OK I'm changing my mind on #3. They never showed shuttles in the two forward berths so on Todd's NX-01 the forward shuttles wil launch facing aft & the rear shuttles will launch facing forward. I think this will work better due to keeping some symmetry in the catwalks & endwalls. If anybody has evidence to the contrary speak now...

So started my deck plans for the shuttlebay. I'll use these to generate cutounts for floor, walls & ceiling & catwalks plus decals!

[​IMG]

Plus got my Photoetch today - Any suggestions on houw to paint this micro mesh without clogging the openings?

[​IMG]

BTW the photo etch came from freetimehobbies.com. it's 1:350 Lion Roar perforated Navy Floor. Not the correct grid pattern but close enough at this scale. And 1:350 KA Models Royal Navy Railing Set - Again - Not perfect but close enough.

29. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

With any luck, I'll be doing a 1/1000 very soon. But an open shuttle bay? I'll leave that to you pros...
    Lots of NX action!! :cool

30. sapper36

Your welcome to use my graphics if you want - You could cut out the hatches & build a little box to represent the bay insides. The shuttlepods would be about the size of a grain of rice!

31. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

I SO appreciate the offer, but I just want a nice little NX-01.:cool
    I'll enjoy the bay vicariously through YOUR build!:thumbsup

32. sapper36

BTW I opned up the shuttlebay doors sunday night - Man that plastic was nearly 1/4" thick there! Pics to follow.

33. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

I eat that for breakfast.:lol

34. sapper36

Shuttlebay in place
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

View with Shuttlepods from above
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shot of lights through the catwalk mesh
    [​IMG]

Been doing the graphics work on the shuttlepod bay. Got the port & starboard walls done. Fore & aft & ceiling next. Finally the control booth on the 2nd floor between the fore & aft bays. I cut out the cardboard version to do some test fitting & it looks goo so far. The final shuttlebay will be made from clear plastic then paintd except for lighted areas & decal applied from my graphics. It's nice to se something should be visible through the ports!

35. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

This will be so amazing when finished....:eek

36. sapper36

[​IMG]

Finaly done with the graphics forthe shuttlebay - Now to build the actual walls etc for them to go on.

Anybody know somebody who can print good decals from a JPEG?

37. opal1970

Hey Sapper,
    Man, that is looking great! keep up the excellent work. ;)

Jason

38. sapper36

Thanks! - Mannaged to pring decals on Micro-mark decal paper today & installed the shuttlebay floor & trap the fiber optics for the searchlights on the middle rib between the port & starboard bays - pics tomorrow!

39. sapper36

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm Baaack!

Took Forever! to get cutting the parts relatively square for the shuttle bay - but finally got it manufactured in styrene! Next I need to locate & drill the holes for the umbillical lines for the shuttles & then painting & decaling the shuttle bay which then get put aside while I go back to major assemblies!

40. sapper36

41. sapper36

42. ALCLSC89

ALCLSC89 New Member

Awesome build. I have a NX-01 on the way and can't wait to get started. Your build will serve as an inspiration. Can't wait to see it finished so I will be following along.

43. sapper36

[​IMG]

Slowly working my way along - I'm stuck as can be on the electronics - specifically the power supply. The diagram above is what I want to install & I was trying to power it with a 6V 300 amp source (The easy-LEDs run on 6V to 12V) but just plugging in resistors for the monsters in motion kit doesn't work. The MIM kit runs on 6V but not properly.

So I guess I'm going to need a 12V source and then convert it to 4.5 for the lighting kit & leds.

That's where i'm stuck so any electronics wizards got some hints on how to get 4.5 V out of 12V & how to connect all this up?

44. Caladonis

Caladonis Member

Great shots!
    I'm referring to Steve's build and this one as I get my stuff together to start on mine.

45. d_jedi1

d_jedi1 Sr Member

I'm seriously considering borrowing your shuttlebay idea for my rebuild.
    Have you made any recent progress? (wants to see how this has turned out)

46. HypnoRaygun

HypnoRaygun New Member

Any updates on this? I would love to see it! Amazing work!

47. sapper36

Sadly nothing lately - having trouble getting the circuits to play nicely . Hopefully back on it soon!

48. GBlair88

GBlair88 New Member

49. opal1970

Hey Sapper,

Good to see you are progressing on this, I am only now getting a bit of time to start back up on my Galactica project, so I can really relate to you. :)

Regarding your power supply problem...
    I am not quite sure what your setup looks like, or rather if you can put in a board of your own making, but there are voltage regulators that should do what you need for this. They only cost under a dollar depending on where you buy them and how many, here is a howTo that may help you do what you need:

8051 For Dummies: January 2011

Hope that helps.
    Opal

50. brandomack

brandomack Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great job!