Sanding & Polishing Polyeuretahane clear-cast

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Birdie, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Birdie

Birdie Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Anyone know the best products for sanding and polishing a finished polyurethane clear cast object?

I read somewhere that clear nail-polish could be used to shine a sanded part?

2. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

I did mine with finer grades of sandpaper up to 2000. I then used novus number 2 with a polishing wheel on a dremel to give it a perfectly clear appearance. The peice I did was a Rangefinder on my Boba Fett helmet.

Steve

3. Reactor drone

Reactor drone Well-Known Member

According to BJB enterprises

"wet sand with 600,1500 then 2000 grit wet/dry paper

Buff the part with Schlegel #1 buffing pad and 3M perfect-it rubbing compond

Finish it with Schlegel #2 pad and 3M perfect-it foam polishing glaze"

4. Jedi Lawja

Jedi Lawja Well-Known Member

Definatley do the wet-sanding with ever finer paper. If you don't have/can't find buffing compounds, here's an old chestnut I've been using since the early 80's. TOOTHPASTE. Use as a buffing compound with a soft shammy. I've also used a fingernail buffing pad to finish it off after the wet sand and toothpaste.

Jay

5. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

May also try coating it with Future Floor polish when done. Experiment first though.

I sand to 2500 grit.

6. swhite228

swhite228 Well-Known Member

Sounds stupid but I use the cheapest toothpaste I can find (pearl drops, or pepsodent) and water on clear stuff. When smooth future or rain-x.