Sandbagger's Iron-Man builds - Now in STEEL

Looks really great. :thumbsup
do they still fit over the glove?

Sure do.

- - - Updated - - -

@sandbagger dude that is looking amazing, how come so many parts? There are only 28 sections of finger and thumb

Typo. 28 pieces. Will correct.

- - - Updated - - -

Turns out you can saw and sand this insulation foam and get a great finish even before casting! Less work to do on the grinder after pouring!

3rNmtv5.jpg

o93DOE0.jpg

6VwtZa2.jpg

rM2Q9gA.jpg

eWkChW7.jpg

ie23SGp.jpg

This just gets better and better. Although I have to say 34 sections would give you a third hand and would explain how you manage to get so much done so quickly ;)

That finger armor is looking great. Again I say, it will be a bit of a bummer to see it painted. Love the raw metal look. I also feel ya on the migraines. Can ruin entire days.

Hey Baz you can maximize by connecting all the fingers to one sprue. Connecting like a tree with branches.
Just pour once and separate each piece and clean up the castings...GM

Thanks blokes.

Thanks Mr Murdoch. :D I did consider that, but as the foam is so delicate, I thought that if I do that and bugger it up, I stand to lose the lot and have to carve them all again. At least if I do one or two at a time, it's no biggie if it all goes to pot.

Thanks blokes.

Thanks Mr Murdoch. :D I did consider that, but as the foam is so delicate, I thought that if I do that and bugger it up, I stand to lose the lot and have to carve them all again. At least if I do one or two at a time, it's no biggie if it all goes to pot.
To attach the pieces use hot glue as that too will disintegrate along with the foam...GM

Posting up failures as well as success. Here's nearly two hours of carving, sanding and prep wasted as the casting process failed on both pieces.

I re-carved them tonight but it's a quarter to one in the morning now so I better leave it until tomorrow for casting.

I think I'll have to introduce a long sprue to provide enough pressure to push the molten aluminium right in.

edQGB2u.jpg

This is the piece that I am really worried about casting. It took a lot of time to carve it to match the shape of my hand on the inside and the right look on the outside. If it fails.....

nxmIxmK.jpg

m4j7yEJ.jpg

This is the piece that I am really worried about casting. It took a lot of time to carve it to match the shape of my hand on the inside and the right look on the outside. If it fails...

SB,everything you have shown so far was magic and what you have assembled thusfar is a masterpiece.
You want to know what a real waste is? Not your failed casts or your time; you learn from your mistakes and they're worth posting and sharing as well,like you stated.So what is a waste?
To worry and to regret.Focus your energy and make this happen like you've never wanted before and you will amaze yourself with your own abilities.This community is already in awe by seeing your work unfold itself and won't think less of you.Remember that shoe slogan? Just do it :thumbsup we're rooting for you

SB,everything you have shown so far was magic and what you have assembled thusfar is a masterpiece.
You want to know what a real waste is? Not your failed casts or your time; you learn from your mistakes and they're worth posting and sharing as well,like you stated.So what is a waste?
To worry and to regret.Focus your energy and make this happen like you've never wanted before and you will amaze yourself with your own abilities.This community is already in awe by seeing your work unfold itself and won't think less of you.Remember that shoe slogan? Just do it :thumbsup we're rooting for you
couldnt have said it better myself. :D

what you are doing is beautiful, but why not just pound out the hand/palm piece from sheet with a dolly?

You sir, are very kind. :D

Another failure. Much time spent carving the hand plate for an exact fit. Wasted.

The back of the hand was just a basic shaped plate, but the front, (palm) is a lot more complex so I'm glad I didn't blow that one. Might have a re-think on how I'm going to do this.

The sprue was certainly long enough this time, but I think because the plate is so broad and thin, the aluminium cooled before it reached the edges.

VxD8ieS.jpg

I69aKjC.jpg

At least the two thumb pieces I did this afternoon worked. At this rate I'll be finished all the fingers in eight evenings if i can have a few hours each night. Midnight and I are pretty well acquainted anyway....

Rough grind. Will finish with files and sandpaper later.

hCUWUP3.jpg

2sOiFxe.jpg

You sir, are very kind. :D

Another failure. Much time spent carving the hand plate for an exact fit. Wasted.

The back of the hand was just a basic shaped plate, but the front, (palm) is a lot more complex so I'm glad I didn't blow that one. Might have a re-think on how I'm going to do this.

The sprue was certainly long enough this time, but I think because the plate is so broad and thin, the aluminium cooled before it reached the edges.

http://i.imgur.com/VxD8ieS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/I69aKjC.jpg

At least the two thumb pieces I did this afternoon worked. At this rate I'll be finished all the fingers in eight evenings if i can have a few hours each night. Midnight and I are pretty well acquainted anyway....

Rough grind. Will finish with files and sandpaper later.

http://i.imgur.com/hCUWUP3.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2sOiFxe.jpg

Those thumb pieces are a thing of true beauty.
Your work sir is truly unsurpassed, hats off to you!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back