Sandbagger's Iron-Man builds - Now in STEEL

First four attachment-points in the suit's bolt-together system. I've welded in a short extension on each side then welded two sets of tabs on each side. That way the back piece slips in between two layers of steel and bolts into place. The flat nut on the inside is welded into place then ground smooth. There's a little bit of room in there for some lining yet.

PdnkdFv.jpg

Abdominal armour fits. Now to widen codpiece to match.

xYmrSFw.jpg

WOW!! that is friggin awesome!! PLEASE take pic's of just the finished/sanded steel BEFORE paint! the silver mark II is my favorite.......:love you rock!!!

I can't leave it bare. It's mild steel and will turn rust-brown in a fortnight. Plus, up close you can see how rough it is so it needs a lot of body-work. I will be bogging it up and sanding it for paint.

In the mean-time:

The hands really are the hardest part. The more rigid you make them, the harder they are to get on and off and the less range of motion you can have in them.

This is the sixth gauntlet I have made and I'm really getting sick of it. At least they are getting neater with practice.

This time I used 3mm closed-cell foam sheet. It's not finished, but once I've worked it all out I will be dipping the whole thing in plasti-dip, which will seal and lock it all together.

rXidWAX.jpg

NKuOzgx.jpg

I don't understand how you manage to get so much done in such little time! You must have put half your life into this Iron Man build considering you've made cardboard, foam and even a steel suit. It will all be worth it when it's done though!
Where did you purchase the foam you used for the gauntlets above?

I don't understand how you manage to get so much done in such little time! You must have put half your life into this Iron Man build considering you've made cardboard, foam and even a steel suit. It will all be worth it when it's done though!
Where did you purchase the foam you used for the gauntlets above?
Lol you know the truth is SB finished the suit last year and he's only giving us what we need, and not what we want. If he did that, then there would be absolute mayhem. Hehehe...GM

I use my lunch breaks. I stay back after work in the workshop for an hour or two before going home. Once my domestic duties are finished in the evening, I go out into the shed and work a few hours until I can't stay upright. On my off-shift days I get into the shed for the entire day if I can.

I got the foam from a local supplier here in Canberra. ACT foam supplies.

SB

Wire wheels work really well for polishing steel, also make raw welds look shiny.

Btw, you should do the Mk I next, then you don't have to bother cleaning up anything ;D

Wire wheels work really well for polishing steel, also make raw welds look shiny.

Btw, you should do the Mk I next, then you don't have to bother cleaning up anything ;D

Once this suit is finished I have a deck to build, then a really BIG project that will be revealed later. After that the next suit I would like to attempt is the Crysis Nanosuit 2.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back