Sammael Prints from Bruttenholm's Book

Krats

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have been tinkering with a recreation of the Sammael artwork from Bruttenholm’s book for a while. I’d not really put much thought into what I was going to do with it but I’ve been messing with woodblock printing for another project and wanted to warm up with a linocut… and then my brain started joining dots and here I am spending my lunch hours at work carving Sammael out of lino.

1 Hellboy_Screenshot1.jpg2 Hellboy_Screenshot2.jpg

I started with some screen grabs. I got some low res shots of my own from the DVD but someone was kind enough to post a high res Bluray image on the boards a while back which was a huge help. I used Photoshop to remove the perspective, patch out Abe’s thumb and started tracing. For some reason I ended up flipping the image as I cleaned it up.

3 Image_Clean_up.jpg4 Trace.jpg

The design was printed (right way round), placed face down on the lino and transferred by rubbing the back with a rag soaked in acetone. It came out a bit patchy so I filled in the gaps with a marker.

5 Transfer.jpg6 Cutting01.jpg

I’ve put in about five hours of cutting time so far and am about half way through. I don’t know what size the original was created at but I’m guessing it was larger than the A5 I’m working at. This is seriously fiddly!

Nice one! Somewhere on here there is a thread for professor brooms box and in there they talk about the size of the books if that helps you.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Very cool! I'll be interested to see how this turns out :D

Thanks, I can’t wait to get some ink on this thing!

Nice one! Somewhere on here there is a thread for professor brooms box and in there they talk about the size of the books if that helps you.

Thanks Confused85. I loved the thread about Broom’s box, it’s one of the projects that inspired me to join the RPF.

When I first set this up I wanted to do the block the same size as it’s seen in the book but it’s simply too small for lino to hold the detail. Perhaps if I was carving into wood and had some finer tools I could manage it but the surface of the lino starts to break up if you go too fine.

heres a pic of the wood carving, that was shared in the broom box thread.

View attachment 710707

Thanks Breen, I try to work from first hand reference where I can but always interesting to see what other people have come up with :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I put in a bit of extra time yesterday and got the cut finished. Had to try it out straight away...

11 ink.jpg 12 ink2.jpg 14 Print02.jpg 15-Print03.jpg

Pretty happy with it. Obviously need to refine my technique a bit to make sure I get a clean pull every time but it worked out better than I expected for a first attempt. Want to run a print on some nice paper so I can frame it up. Not sure whether to go with something weathered and worn like a page from Bruttenholm’s book or go with parchment or something. I’ll take a look in the craft shop over the weekend, see what the options are.

Had a look at the weekend to see if I could get some decent material to run a few prints, got it into my head they would look good on parchment… turns out the texture of the material makes getting an even print really, really difficult. Some areas always turned out a little patchy, plus the ink looks too black and the paper too new. Need to have a think about the best materials to use, keep it looking authentic. Any thoughts?

15 Prints.jpg

That looks fantastic!

Will you be doing a run of these?

Thanks, need to do a a little more work to make sure I can keep the quality consistent before I consider a run.

I have done a couple of paper props. Tea is great for aging paper but would have to be done before you print as the water would make the ink run. You would need to keep the paper pressed flat while it dries as it will try to warp and will then be impossible to print on.
When wet with tea, a light sprinkling of coffee granules can give a nice mottled effect but can easily be overdone. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back