Sam from Trick 'r Treat

Here's the head ready for the burlap application ...
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg

Well .. I gotta say, I hate the shape .. but it'll just do for this year!!!
I hate myself for not having found a proper shape sooner...

Thanks Rob for your compassion! ;) Although I'm really not satisfied .. but hey .. for a last minute costume .. it COULD be worst! ;)

Pics coming .. almost done here!! Woot woot!

:D

Stitches have begun .. and I thought I could replicate the ones from the movie .. but I'm just giving up the accuracy for now ... I want this thing finished asap!

I'll have plenty of tips for this after finishing this one .. so hang it there if you plan of having a lil Sam at home!

I'll post pics of my progress tomorrow as I need sleep right now!

Thanks again Rob .. you're begining to convince me that it's not so bad now! :)

Here's where I was a 3h30 this morning ... the eyes will need to be moved .. I think they're part of the look in their position and I'm a little off.

medium.jpg

And ref...
medium.jpg

I think the shape of the head sort of depends on what ref pics you look at. In some it seems more truely spherical; in others it has a bit of a "ridge" on the crown.

You're doing better than I with my display. Man that burlap makes me sneeze like a son-of-a-gun!

Agreed on both shape and sneeze account .. my floor is a mess too now!!!

Kylash .. no it's not .. but it is! :) If I'd unfold it now, I'm pretty sure it would look like it .. but since I didn't wanna remove to much burlap, I applied directly from the 2m sq of burlap I had .. then I cut the exceeding material. Also, I didn't know what shape the neck would have once applied and I wanted to make it in 2 pieces, not 4 .. so I didn't cut anything at the bottom either.

The first half was by far the worst to do .. it took me something like 2 1/2 hours to wrap and struggle with about 6 glue sticks. Second half was a charm, around 1h and 2 sticks ..

IMO, the best way to apply the burlap on each side is this ...
1. Mark the top point of your helmet, the front line, the back and both side lines
2. Take a side middle point of the burlap sheet, drop some glue at the north point (where all lines cross) and glue it.
3. Use the burlap threads to align properly and glue all the way down following the side line (up to 4-5" from the bottom)
4. Now what you want, is the burlap to wrap around properly horizontaly and the threads coming straight at the front and back (not in a V shape) so gluing the horizontal line halfway to the front (from the side) will help doing just that. I cheated on the back to make it a little easier and it's a little more v shaped.
5. Slowly, inch by inch, begin gluing the material on the sphere moving towards the front and back line .. the more you'll go, the more the burlap will tend to wave .. that's where the pain begins and you'll have to use more glue to prevent waves/bubbles in the burlap.

Not sure if that's so understandable as my english something lacks in words! lol ;)

ill have to try making sense of that later :p

anyone have an idea what diameter sized dome should be used for an accurate childsized Sam head?

Awesome work so far Bigturc! It's shaping up to be a nice Sam.

I think Trick R' Treat was one of the best movies this year and I've been itching to make a Life size Sam to display. I hope someone makes a child size pumpkin head to go with the display.

Kylash .. I'd say around 12" should be good .. as I've used around 17" myself .. as I'm about 50% taller than the movie Sam ..

Thanks Rabbit .. here's some more progress .. good thing I took the day off ..

NOTE: I'd strongly suggest anyone doing this guy to paint your sphere black inside and outside before applying the burlap .. although it won't be a problem at night or in the house party, it will still give a better finish of the head!

medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg

This might be a little late, but I went through the movie and capped most of the Sam costume. There are quite a few close up shots of the mask, hands, and feet if you are interested.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back