(S.O.)Nomad The Prop

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Commander Max, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Commander Max

Commander Max Sr Member

I've been working on Nomad for years. First I created the plans(with help, Thanks Keith, AJ, Steven), then thought, I'll get to it someday. This year I started, six months later...
    It does light up and I plan to add audio. I'm going to incorporate speakers into the case.
    Now I just have to get it's case. (Thank God for Ikea).
    [attachmentid=8539]

2. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

"STERILIZE. MUST STERILIZE...

Umm I mean Very Cool...

3. burningman

burningman Well-Known Member

that's awesome man..

4. TomSpinaDesigns

TomSpinaDesigns Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

love it... great work.

Tom

5. Robot Monster

Robot Monster Sr Member

WOW, well how was this done...

6. Cyberman

Cyberman Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Really cool piece :)

7. Tosprops

Tosprops New Member

That looks so real be careful that it doesn't mistake you for 'the Kirk". :)

Looks great.

8. Beagle Bill

Beagle Bill Well-Known Member

Really cool. Any "found" items or did you have to fabricate everything from scratch? He looks perfect. :thumbsup

Bill

9. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Aces. :thumbsup

Now you have to rig him up on a complex series of overhead lines, so he can appear to glide around the house. Careful going under those doorways. :p

- k

10. Galactifan

Galactifan Sr Member

Wow. Very cool indeed. Nice work.

11. eaviii

eaviii Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Flipping awesome sir- More pics (lit) when you get them please- How did you fabricate it?

Really great man, one of my favorite robots-

Doc

12. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very nice work. Looks terrific.

I'm looking forward to your answers to the queries already posted. I'd also like to know whether any of the antennae extend.

Way cool. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

13. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(phase pistol @ Jun 9 2006, 05:03 PM) [snapback]1259221[/snapback]</div>
    Thats when you pull out the dolly. ;)

14. Robot Monster

Robot Monster Sr Member

I really want to know more about this great build.

15. Commander Max

Commander Max Sr Member

Thanks for the comments everybody. This I consider my first complete prop.
    So I'm new at this.

<div class='quotetop'></div>
    I started with screen grabs to work out the shape. I got some things down, but size was a problem. They did state that Nomad was a fraction over one meter(that's not very helpful it could mean anything, this is a prop after all, could you imagine, "Hey Lenord how long is your hand?" That would go over well).
    At this time I found the Nomad thread on the Dewback Wing. I saw that one guy(Commodore Starska) had figured out a general idea of size. I took his info and modified my model.
    From there everthing fell into place. I created a set of plans(which the Commodore hosts, I will be updating them shortly).

I own a small design company(mainly drafting at the moment). And times have been good, so I bought a 3d printer. Before anybody screems foul. Remember nothing about computers is easy. Neither is modeling, its real easy to glue a model together. Making it look good is another story entirely.

To answer your question most of Nomad was printed. This was easy, getting everything to fit, took alot of sanding, filling, sanding, machining, reprinting, filing, hair pulling, filing, sanding, and more sanding, even more sanding. (get the picture). Then painting, wetsanding, painting, CRAP. sanding, painting, wetsanding. Etc, Etc. Etc.........Having computers do the work is easy. Oh, yea. Real easy.

This Nomad is stacked on a 2" tube. Which is it's primary support. I didn't want to hang it and it would have made the model more complicated. So making the tabletop version made more sense. I left the extending antennae out, I have ideas about making all of the antennae extend. I didn't have the room on this model.
    There is still stuff above the head and the tube goes through the head. (If you look at the show you would see they had troubles with antennae)

Nomad does light up. The crown lights up(for getting rid of red shirts). The cap lights up. I'm going to sync the voice lights(red, yellow) with audio. The last lights(green) just blink. There are 5 per panel. I have a good source for the bulbs. I'll post the link later.

Please post any questions.

Max

I forgot,
    Nomad stands about 4' tall. I guess that's about a fraction over one meter(1.2m).

16. temponaut

Thanks for sharing the details with us. Very enlightening.

You wouldn't happen to have a build diary or pics of the work in progress, would you? I'd be fascinated to see how it all came together.

<div class='quotetop'>(Atemylunch @ Jun 11 2006, 06:11 PM) [snapback]1260013[/snapback]</div>
    Don't look at me. :) I'm sure not gonna scream foul for using a 3D printer. On the contrary, it's a great tool and if you can afford to add one to your prop-building arsenal, I say, more power to you. (Besides, it sounds as if you sanded off all your fingerprints making this thing, anyway. :p )

Very nice work, Max. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

17. Great_Bizarro

Great_Bizarro Sr Member

$5.00 MP3 player

Here is a cheap mp3 player that can be hacked to add audio to Nomad. Get a cheap set of computer amp/speakers for the output, record from the dvd's and ya got sound...

18. blufive

blufive Sr Member

Nice work.

:)

19. Robot Monster

Robot Monster Sr Member

Where are the files on this guy? And what is the link for that other thread?

Thank you for responding.

20. Krel Jedi

Krel Jedi Well-Known Member

That is awesome. I've always wanted to have the TOS Romulan cloaking device, which uses the antennae housing of the nomad. You give me hope.

21. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

Awesome job man. To me it's the end result and how it looks that counts - whether you carved it out of a block of wood or used a 3D printer - either way this came out great. Would love to see more info on the plans and dimensions.

22. Commander Max

Commander Max Sr Member

Thanks for the support guys.

I have to update the plans. Then I will post the link. There isn't much to do I just have to do it. (To much work this week) For those of you who are cad savy, I have no problem sharing the files. The plans are available in a pdf for those of you who are not cad savy. Just print, and follow the dimensions.

All I need is a black suit, and some Brey-Bans(sp?).
    It wasn't that bad. Just a huge learning curve.

Here is a pic of the interior.
    [attachmentid=8541]
    It's not pretty, just functional.
    Left side shows the color panels, the right without.
    This does show off the versitility of the printer. The torso interior was printed in 4 pieces. The boxes were printed in place. As well as the gussets, and the tube guide(center tube). This acts as a support for the parts above. Holes for the lights were printed in place.
    Nomad's outer panels are styrene(I cut them out on my cnc router), they are held in place by magnets. (I found out why you don't paint panels with the magnets in place. Whats that circle? Why won't it paint away?)

More later.

23. temponaut

Man, this gets better and better.

I was very intrigued to see the photos of your Nomad interior and read your description of how it was printed. I can easily imagine that your messy but fuctional innards resemble the guts of the screen-used Nomad.

How much would you say your Nomad cost to build, not including the price of the 3D printer itself?

Was there a trial and error period, with prints that didn't quite work the way you hoped, before you hit on your successful design? Or did you map the thing out so well in CAD that your first print worked as planned?

You've got skills I'd love to have. You are the Creator, the Kirk. :) No wonder your business is successful enough that you can add a 3D printer.

Get this man some Ray-Bans and a black suit. :D :thumbsup

24. Commander Max

Commander Max Sr Member

What I would give to see that.
    I picture something with duct tape and tin foil. Maybe a few staples. Last but not least some bubblegum and bailing wire. :lol

That's hard to come up with.
    If I were to venture a guess somewhere between 1-2 thousand.
    Not including labor and design time. There is no way I could track the hours, I was having to much fun.

Yes there was a trial and error period, that is normal. I must have printed 3 heads. I was glad I didn't have to re-print the base. It was printed in 2 parts. Each one took about 5 hours to print. (The cool part is all the do-dads are printed in place.) For the most part Nomad was planned. I had to break it up into parts the printer could print.

Even though I printed Nomad there were still a few found parts. On the back of the head is a site from the Klingon disruptor. There are bridge buttons all over, and other items that looked like they used whatever they could find. The crown piece was driving me nuts. It looked like some kind of nozzle. On the base it looked like they used some kind of brushes. I'm sure that there is all kind found things on Nomad, since it was created about 39 years ago, there is little chance of finding the parts.

Can anybody venture a guess as to who built it(the original)?

25. Roger Ramjet

Roger Ramjet Sr Member

I've seen one other mock up of Nomad at a con in NYC in the mid 80's, but this one puts that to shame....Great work, thanks so much for sharing....

Roger

26. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

Well done.

This episode was on, just a couple weeks ago.

27. boatbuilder1

boatbuilder1 Well-Known Member

ANALIZE ANALIZE MUST ANALIZE
    completely incredible you shloud feel quite proud. and the rest of us are completely jealous

charlie

28. jerrychevalier

jerrychevalier New Member

cant get the image to open

29. Reactor drone

Reactor drone Well-Known Member

It's an old thread,the image has probably been deleted or moved.