S.H.I.E.L.D HELICARRIER 7'x4'

waynecto

I'm looking for help and ideas on how to build a 7'x4' physical model of the S.H.I.E.L.D Helicarrier for my Avengers themed media room. The Helicarrier will hold all electronics, blu rays, DVDs, CDs, etc. I have a CNC machine and 3D printer at my disposal. I found a plastic model of the helicarrier that I can 3d scan and use as a base however it isn't very detailed. Given the size that I want to make this I would like the model to be extremely detailed. I have a pretty good idea on how to physically make it and able to hold all of my components. I'm looking for someone crazy enough to build the model and I'll make a second one, or if this turns out to be a multiple person deal we can work out something.

There is a company called fantastic plastic that did a detailed one that you might buy to help get the details right or at the very least for reference but it is very small. Also you should have posted this in general modeling you would have gotten more of a response. This section is to make models as close to the original filming model in size and detail as possible.

You're nuts... but you're my kinda nuts.

7x4 is pretty damn big. I'm not sure how you'd build that AND have it be able to double as a cabinet of some type. At that size most thing have an internal Armature to keep them from warping and flexing... That would seem to make the storage idea difficult. you'd have to design the cabinet so that it was part of the Armature, and I'm sure compromises would need to be made to make the model "openable"... maybe the entire flight deck rises straight up to reveal the storage??? Getting a mechanism to do that would be a challenge as well if building it form scratch.

As for studio scale applicability - was there any physical model made for the helicarrier or was it 100% CGI? Sometimes a real/physical model is made and scanned for the textural details of the CGI model... does anyone know? It likely belongs in the general modeling thread, but this is an interesting question.

Jedi Dade

Yes I'm nuts. Very very crazy. However I'm a bit closer in my design structurally speaking. I'm still looking for a decent 3d model to print the surface. I'll use metal frame as the primary structure with the 3d printed pieces attaching to that. Depending on how the prints turn out I'm going to attempt a very large mold. Anyway here is a sign I made for my sons room, thought you guys would appreciate the crazy.
avengers-sign-0.jpgavengers-sign-1.jpgavengers-sign-3.jpg

The plan is to make it huge. i have a big 3d printer so i was going to print in sections with a metal frame to give it rigidity and mount to it. I have a pretty good idea how to make it but really need the starting point of the model to figure out what needs to be welded together first. The shape ways one is a good model, but they are not selling the model just the print.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back