Ryan Gosling 'K' - Blade Runner 2049!

Well, my pockets are now significantly lighter (don't ask how much, and don't tell my family) and my spirits immensely higher. I'd like to take a moment to thank/blame everyone in this thread, but especially Shahrooz and Mechanismo . Here's my Soul Revolver coat. This was done by lamoda custom tailor over in Kew Gardens in New York.
A few notes:
-Piping was added around the lapels, top collar edges and shoulders
-shoulder padding was added
-the collar was shifted
-all the shearling was replaced using the uniqlo coat recommended earlier in the thread
-magnet enclosures were added using the same stock magnets SR used for their collar. An additional one was added on the bottom of the collar to help it clip into place
-I still need to distress/blackwash the shearling, as well as comb it. That will happen, just a matter of when, given that I picked this up just in time for summer in NY it seems.
-Yes, you can see some of the former seam lines where the piping was added. Unfortunately this was necessary as the seams had to be widened to accommodate adding the piping by hand. There are machines that may be able to accomplish this without widening the stitches, and I know it may immensely bother some people, but I'm attempting to put my neuroticism over getting this jacket 100% right to rest (at least for now). There is no good way to patch/soften the stitch holes due to the nature of the material, although I'm hoping time and wear will help. In the interim, we'll chalk it up to the coat being "weathered"
-The shoulders were padded and piped, and while some may disagree on how accurate it is, it looks right to me based on what we've seen and I personally love the silhouette it produces. I simply feel cooler walking down the street wearing the coat with these shoulders done this way

All in all, I'm a very happy camper.

Also, just for reference, the sweater IS an aster. It's actually navy blue and not the black one. I mistakenly purchased it in the wrong colorway, but for the $33 usd it ran me on Mercari, I can only be so distraught. If you can find one in navy blue, it makes a nice substitute for the black one IMHO, especially if you're trying to channel K's overall style rather than being exact.

Anyway. I'm tired now.
Dude that looks freaking awesome! Congrats! Very happy for you and also feel a sense of pride. We did it man! Haha yes you can blame me and M for sure. What shearling did you use btw?

Edited my post for clarity. Ended up using the uniqlo coat. You were right. The finished look in person? Mmmph. So good.
I'm very happy for you. I'm not sure why the coat looks so dark/black in the pics - as you know it is pretty green with a bluesh hue, but maybe it's the lighting. To me this rivals M's coat for sheer 'beauty'. Its gorgeous :) will post pics of mine soon also. Have been out of commission as a result of a pretty tough knee surgery that is healing very slowly.

Well, my pockets are now significantly lighter (don't ask how much, and don't tell my family) and my spirits immensely higher. I'd like to take a moment to thank/blame everyone in this thread, but especially Shahrooz and Mechanismo . Here's my Soul Revolver coat. This was done by lamoda custom tailor over in Kew Gardens in New York.
A few notes:
-the collar was shifted
-all the shearling was replaced using the uniqlo coat recommended earlier in the thread
-magnet enclosures were added using the same stock magnets SR used for their collar. An additional one was added on the bottom of the collar to help it clip into place
-I still need to distress/blackwash the shearling, as well as comb it. That will happen, just a matter of when, given that I picked this up just in time for summer in NY it seems.
-Yes, you can see some of the former seam lines where the piping was added. Unfortunately this was necessary as the seams had to be widened to accommodate adding the piping by hand. There are machines that may be able to accomplish this without widening the stitches, and I know it may immensely bother some people, but I'm attempting to put my neuroticism over getting this jacket 100% right to rest (at least for now). There is no good way to patch/soften the stitch holes due to the nature of the material, although I'm hoping time and wear will help. In the interim, we'll chalk it up to the coat being "weathered"
-The shoulders were padded and piped, and while some may disagree on how accurate it is, it looks right to me based on what we've seen and I personally love the silhouette it produces. I simply feel cooler walking down the street wearing the coat with these shoulders done this way

Also, just for reference, the sweater IS an aster. It's actually navy blue and not the black one. I mistakenly purchased it in the wrong colorway, but for the $33 usd it ran me on Mercari, I can only be so distraught. If you can find one in navy blue, it makes a nice substitute for the black one IMHO, especially if you're trying to channel K's overall style rather than being exact.

Anyway. I'm tired now.
Looks amazing! Thanks for letting us know the tailor you used, I live close by. Really want the Soul Revolver coat, just not sure I want to go through all that, but it looks so good

Looks amazing! Thanks for letting us know the tailor you used, I live close by. Really want the Soul Revolver coat, just not sure I want to go through all that, but it looks so good
Happy to. Haha, I told him he'd probably be getting a few requests, possibly for mail-ins, once I posted this. It took a while--about 3 weeks total (was originally quoted a week and a half to two weeks) but compared to what other from scratch custom overcoats can run, time-wise that's next to nothing. It was pricey--let's say less than two SR coats but more than one--and honestly he probably lowballed the estimate hour-wise given that the shoulders alone took him literally days. In the film, the shoulder caps are one piece; on the SR coat, they're two, which makes installing piping much more difficult.

All in all, I don't regret the money spent. I've spent similar amounts in years past on much more convention friendly pieces (recreations from anime, television, etc). K's coat is stylish. I can wear it down the street and I get looks along the lines of "oh that's an interesting asymmetrical design" instead of "oh that's an expensive looking cosplay". It's a functional coat, and that was really my main criteria in having it done.

...all that said, I'm absolutely going to have to do the full K getup at a convention at some point, so if anyone wants to sell me a wallet/badge/emanator/scanner that'd be swell ;)

Also, to Shahrooz and anyone else reading, it is 100% the lighting. The coat in my photos is the exact same as his, which should give perspective into exactly how tricky the finish makes accurately color grading the outfit. His looks bright green in his photos; mine practically looks black, and again, that sweater underneath is navy blue, despite what it looks like. Nothing in these pictures was retouched, edited, etc. The SR coat finish really does change that wildly depending how you photograph it.

Last edited:
It's a shame that Soul Revolver won't apply the new specifications to their coat. Sometimes I work with the Italian lab who wax their cotton. Unfortunately the owner told me he has no idea where the cotton fabric come from.
For all I know, it doesn't come from anywhere, at least not externally. Soul Revolver's first attempt was leather (there's ancient photos floating about their Facebook page that admittedly don't look half bad), and the page on their site describes the coat as "We searched for a long time to find the correct Italian cotton which we then put through a distress & wash process to give a slightly used look to get the finish and colour as close to the original as possible". The implication there, to me at least, is that they sourced a cotton and then applied whatever they did in house, or possibly through a contractor that only works privately for them. There may be a source fabric out there, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if the lamination they applied was done internally by them.

A few notes:
-the collar was shifted
-a stiffener was added to the collar, and you can see now the way the shearling gets that nice, natural crease in it along the left shoulder that a ton of the film stills show. It was definitely needed.

Anyway. I'm tired now.
Can't stop looking at it! If that's how the Soul Revolver jacket came, I would buy 2 right now.

Assuming work isn't too crazy, I'm going to try blackwashing the extra sections of sherpa fabric from the uniqlo coat today. Will aim to post pictures as soon as I have them. There was a fair amount of fabric left over. As a note to anyone considering doing this, I bought a size XL coat with the impression that the lapels and collar could be directly transplanted onto the SR coat. This was NOT the case. There wasn't sufficient fabric to cover the collar, so one sleeve had to be cut up instead. Even with this, I've got a fair amount of excess fabric to experiment with.

In the interim, I'm gradually driving myself crazy trying to track down the other K props from the film for a display. I managed to snag a safariland holster that I'm legitimately tempted to bring to this same tailor to modify. My real issue there is sourcing the appropriate fabric for it, reference imagery, etc. I know someone on here did repros a while back, but no idea if they're still selling. Short version, if anyone here might be selling other props, please drop me a message. Would love to do a full photoshoot proper with the coat at some point down the line.

johncarbon1991 your coat looks great. The shoulders with the piping really do stand out.

Really good thread here for the holster : Blade Runner 2049 - K's Holster (Safariland 1090 info dump)

Also here is the original SR in leather you were talking about.
6CE55469-3C73-4708-AF7D-3BF5AF663A0D.jpeg

Looks absolutely perfect. Yowza.

Would you at least reveal whether the alterations cost more or less than the coat itself?? :p

Edit: d'oh, I'm the dummy who didn't realize there was another page with a bunch of new replies on it!

Last edited:
Ok. First attempt here. Dye is still a tad wet to the touch, so I imagine this color will fade, but again, lighting is throwing me here. These were all taken under the same white fluorescent led lamp and I'd swear the shearling is a different color toned brown in the first photo than it is in the other two. Picture 1 is the stock shearling, picture 2 is the result of a single cap full of rit dye diluted in an 8 floz glass of water, applied with a wide brush by hand, and picture 3 is that same diluted dye applied using a makeup airbrush. It's definitely not even, but this was a quick and dirty test to see how the fabric might discolor.

As much as I hate to admit defeat, I'm beginning to lean towards joberg 's school of thought about just wearing this and letting time do it's part. I almost don't have the heart to attempt discoloring this fabric on the actual coat. Part of it is my own lack of skills in this area--if I apply the brush too lightly, the dye pools, but too firmly and I brush almost all the texture out of the fur. My major concern is doing this is going to quickly lend this coat to costume piece rather than functional fashion.

Attachments

• 20220315_110859.jpg
    20220315_110859.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 101
  • 20220315_115258.jpg
    20220315_115258.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 88
  • 20220315_115303.jpg
    20220315_115303.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 94
Ok. First attempt here. Dye is still a tad wet to the touch, so I imagine this color will fade, but again, lighting is throwing me here. These were all taken under the same white fluorescent led lamp and I'd swear the shearling is a different color toned brown in the first photo than it is in the other two. Picture 1 is the stock shearling, picture 2 is the result of a single cap full of rit dye diluted in an 8 floz glass of water, applied with a wide brush by hand, and picture 3 is that same diluted dye applied using a makeup airbrush. It's definitely not even, but this was a quick and dirty test to see how the fabric might discolor.

As much as I hate to admit defeat, I'm beginning to lean towards joberg 's school of thought about just wearing this and letting time do it's part. I almost don't have the heart to attempt discoloring this fabric on the actual coat. Part of it is my own lack of skills in this area--if I apply the brush too lightly, the dye pools, but too firmly and I brush almost all the texture out of the fur. My major concern is doing this is going to quickly lend this coat to costume piece rather than functional fashion.
I'd say just let it wear and age naturally.

A few notes:
-the collar was shifted
-a stiffener was added to the collar, and you can see now the way the shearling gets that nice, natural crease in it along the left shoulder that a ton of the film stills show. It was definitely needed.

Anyway. I'm tired now.
Wow! That's a great looking coat! A big shout out to your tailor too, I think he really nailed it.

Despite the expense, sourcing the material, agonizing over details, I'm sure you can sense the satisfaction in bringing to life what's essentially a unique coat. Whenever I've been asked by someone where they can purchase 'my' coat I just sigh and tell them it's a one off.

I'm really over the moon to see -for the first time- how that shifting the SR collar actually works as well as the crazy idea of sourcing shearling from a teddy woman's coat. The piping also looks very smart, and to quote The Dude, it' really ties the coat together.

Whenever you get a chance, I'd love to see some more photos of the long part of the collar tucked behind the lapel as we see on the prop display and most of the movie stills.

Anyway, congrats again!

It's a shame that Soul Revolver won't apply the new specifications to their coat. Sometimes I work with the Italian lab who wax their cotton. Unfortunately the owner told me he has no idea where the cotton fabric come from.
Welcome to the thread! Did I read that correctly...is it "wax"? Or are you just using that word as loosely to mean lamination in general?

Yes I used the word wax. I worked with this lab several times and they told me that they work on leather and cotton for Soul Revolver. They waxed one of my jackets. The result was quite different compared to me using the Barbour wax. Less shiny.

Yes I used the word wax. I worked with this lab several times and they told me that they work on leather and cotton for Soul Revolver. They waxed one of my jackets. The result was quite different compared to me using the Barbour wax. Less shiny.
So, just to be clear, can we assume, therefore, that Soul Revolver's K coat is in fact waxed and not laminated with acrylic?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back