Ryan Gosling 'K' - Blade Runner 2049!

Just had a look at a similar thread over at filmjackets.com... Can anybody confirm or give more detail to the claims made there? Apparently the coat for Gosling and Ford was made by matchless? As a side note somebody over at reddit pointed out this brand: norwegian rain. Looking at their *expensive* coats it does have a certain K vibe to be honest.

View attachment 784289

I just see one guy who seems to be a mouthpiece making claims, which seem to be getting constantly shot down by anyone who's dealt with the company or the poster previously. I sure never heard the name before, just Renee April absolutely everywhere. There do seem to be a few posts with tall stories and claims made by the company to have made screen-used items in the past, which are being refuted pretty consistently.

"Firstly I was told that there was only 700 of each of the colours of the bond jacket, but we know that was not correct."
"Then they said they designed the jacket for the bond film, it was a direct copy of a John Varvatos jacket "
"Then they said the made the Dunkirk Jacket."
"In the case of Star Wars, until I'm proven wrong, I'm completely convinced Matchless never produced any garments seen on screen, only the replicas."

I'd need a lot more convincing, personally. A lot.

Edit: Looked into it a bit more.
There are zero instances of the company Matchless and 2049 being mentioned together outside of that thread, anywhere, ever. All I could find was endless accredited interviews, articles, concept arts and so on with only Renee April's name attached to them.

Same guy making all the claims on behalf of the company claims that "A good friend of mine is Ryan's long time double and informed me about this four months ago while filming in Bulgaria." Hungary isn't quite Bulgaria far as I was aware, but I don't have the inside line both to a body double and the company that "can't say more". I think Aldo Raine had a word for this but it's on the tip of my tongue.

A dude who visited their store claims "I was in London yesterday so I went into the Matchless shop [in October] and asked the chap what he could tell me about the coat. He said it won't be on sale for two months at least because Matchless haven't decided how to make it."

They haven't decided how to make... the coat they made. Ok.

Maybe I'm way off but this all sounds kinda hilarious. Whatever's the case their jackets seem to hover around the £1300 price range so I wouldn't exactly have the means anyway, but you can pick up a cotton t-shirt for a bargain £70. They haven't said anything at all in the 4 months since this guy started talking though so idk man. I'd say Magnoli and Zlurpo have this covered far as I'm concerned.

Sorry if this is terribly slanderous to someone or other, but I feel like if these claims were made here with zero provenance, they wouldn't really float. That's why I love this place, a reason at least.

Final Edit: Oh wow, add a year to all these dates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has the ‘baseline’ knit been mentioned yet? Cause I me want one.
060700A2-843F-4BF2-851F-2E7B464FA525.jpeg
B6BD20D8-C52D-48C6-A5E8-E6828189035C.jpeg

I really like the color of it. Although, I guess it could be filters on lenses, lighting or a combination.

Has the ‘baseline’ knit been mentioned yet? Cause I me want one.
View attachment 784332
View attachment 784333

I really like the color of it. Although, I guess it could be filters on lenses, lighting or a combination.
It's almost certainly the lighting/post-processing/etc that gives it that colour. It's been deduced in the earlier pages of this thread that the sweater is black, but we've yet to identify the exact sweater he wears in the film—that is, if it isn't custom made.

Yeah, but it wouldn’t be the first time someone from he 2049 crew took credit for someone else’s work. Good research anyway.

This sounds juicy.

Ed: I still can't find anything. Even if they did some fabrication for the production as a client (Editception: Found repeated mentions of staff, materials buyers, cutters, seamstresses attached directly to April doing the work, there's no implication anywhere at all of Matchless or any other 3rd party in any interview with or article about Renee April, so I seriously doubt it), there's no way to tell because there is no transparency at all. The only articles I could find were a couple of paid promotions dressed as articles in Esquire for stuff like Justice League. They seem to have some licenses but in some of those cases are trying to pass off replicas as production items, or at least are accused of such, they don't reply to those comments at all.

Looks like they just make licensed replicas and possibly failed to secure a license in this case maybe? Or this one jacketsforum fan/possible shill is trying to help but really inadvertently working against them with some of his claims. Saying stuff like that "there are differences and inaccuracies because the production made alterations."

I dunno, they look legitimate on the surface, and very expensive, but there's really big gaps. On any other forum I'd say this all far more strongly, but I try and act civil here. Personally, I am deeply dubious they have any connection whatsoever to the production.

Last edited:
It's almost certainly the lighting/post-processing/etc that gives it that colour. It's been deduced in the earlier pages of this thread that the sweater is black, but we've yet to identify the exact sweater he wears in the film—that is, if it isn't custom made.

Youre right, mate. When we later see K talking with the Madam in her office after finding out the bones are a replicant, you can see on his right arm the stitching he did to sew up the hole.

So, definitely the same knit sweater. I still like that color of the baseline scene, hahah

I agree with pretty much with what's been said here in regards to matchless. Until proven wrong or right, there's really no telling who's done what etc. We can only say for sure Renée April designed the custom and had 15 (sorry if I'm wrong) pieces made for production. However, I was curious enough to reach out to matchless and confront them with said claims. I doubt I'll ever get a response but you never know. I'll keep you guys posted.

Has anyone else pointed out that the index finger "seam" on the gloves is a patch and repair?

Do you mean in Leon's posted image? They haven't, and I think it does look quite like it, since it doesn't seem to meet other construction lines at the fingertip at least to my eye. It's on the right hand, and the tobacco tin image has that area in shadow, so that could mean they might be the gloves MAJSmith mentioned possibly, on which the thumb seam looks correct (which have a potential Gosling connection already) or something else like it. Would be cohesive across the different images certainly.

Seems like a plausable explanation at least to me and a very strong possibility.

Given Goslings previous work with Gaspar Gloves in "Drive," I assumed these were Gaspar as well. Note the same double seam around the thumb. Plus it would appear that K's gloves have a bit of a wrist on them and do not stop at the base of the palm. I ordered a pair of the Genial DeLux. After breaking them in over a day or so, they lost all their shine and transitioned to a nice, dull appearance.

https://gaspargloves.com/collections/mens-dress-gloves/products/polaris-delux

Those gloves seem not to have a seam on the outer (thumbward?) side of the index finger--as in Augh's image with the cigarette tin. A similar pair of Gaspar gloves on Amazon seems to confirm that these have no index finger seam.

We may be dealing with two pairs of gloves: 1. a "hero" version that is used for important closeups of the hands, your designer glove, and 2. a weathered, less-substantial duty glove that is used elsewhere. Perhaps the designer glove isn't flimsy enough and still looks "poofy" like there are hands inside when you set them down. Or maybe thinner, cheaper gloves are easier to use for things requiring dexterity like doing action scenes or handling weapons. The duty gloves are relatively thin so cops can handle their weapons without removing them.

Whatever the reason, the closeup on the gloves look like they could be the Gaspar ones, while the ones on the table look like standard patrolman gloves.

Not sure if this has been noticed but the gloves also have a ‘V’ slit on the inside of the palm.

You can see this when K takes off the gloves to inspect the tree, just before he finds the date on the trunk.

Not sure if this has been noticed but the gloves also have a ‘V’ slit on the inside of the palm.

You can see this when K takes off the gloves to inspect the tree, just before he finds the date on the trunk.

Yeah that's what I meant by a wrist "dart", I wasn't really sure what to call it. The Gaspar gloves are looking more and more likely to me.

Given Goslings previous work with Gaspar Gloves in "Drive," I assumed these were Gaspar as well. Note the same double seam around the thumb. Plus it would appear that K's gloves have a bit of a wrist on them and do not stop at the base of the palm. I ordered a pair of the Genial DeLux. After breaking them in over a day or so, they lost all their shine and transitioned to a nice, dull appearance.

https://gaspargloves.com/collections/mens-dress-gloves/products/polaris-delux
I think those might be the ones. Only problem is the gloves in the film have such an ordinary appearance and no real distinguishing marks so it’s difficult to know for sure. Has anyone asked them if they know if they supplied the gloves to the production?

I called and asked them and they said that they did not specifically provide gloves to Blade Runner 2049.

One other note, I have long fingers so the fingers in my gloves are a little short. They told me when I called that if you want custom-made gloves you can trace the outline of your hand and your hand amd email it to them and they will make gloves specifically for your hand size for an extra $45.

I called and asked them and they said that they did not specifically provide gloves to Blade Runner 2049.

One other note, I have long fingers so the fingers in my gloves are a little short. They told me when I called that if you want custom-made gloves you can trace the outline of your hand and your hand amd email it to them and they will make gloves specifically for your hand size for an extra $45.
On further inspection the 3 stitching lines on the top of the screen used gloves appear to be straight while the ones on the Gaspar are not so it can’t be them.

On further inspection the 3 stitching lines on the top of the screen used gloves appear to be straight while the ones on the Gaspar are not so it can’t be them.

Well I'll be, you are right. I went to check it and got a look at the repair benhs1898 rightly pointed out too.

Confirmation for each of these details, not great shots but I just sortof snapped casually while doing things.

Jot8EyL.png Zzg4YvO.png

I ended up going with Gaspar as I am familiar with their quality and they have the correct length. They should arrive tomorrow so I can confirm if the darts are as wavy as they look in the pictures.

Magnoli coat came in. It looks more vibrant in some of the photos than it really is.

Overall, the coat is heavy, comfortable, perfectly tailored, and well worth the money.

First is an overall look at the jacket.
View attachment 781393
Here you can see where two magnets in the collar keep the collar standing up properly.
View attachment 781401
Here is the jacket with the collar up.
View attachment 781400
A look at the fit from the back.
View attachment 781399View attachment 781398
A look at the text in natural light.
View attachment 781397
The four stitches are heavy duty.
View attachment 781396
This is how the closure lines up. The magnets do most of the work. In fact, the hook and loop are kind of moot once those magnets find each other.
View attachment 781395
View attachment 781394
Here you can see how foldy the collar is. Also, one of my worries was that the lapels were too narrow, but you can kind of tell that they flare out when worn open.
View attachment 781402

If there is anything else you would like to see, let me know. It was a little tricky taking photos I liked without anyone to help.

Did you order the collar clean? or distressed?

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back