RWBY - Crescent Rose - fully transforming weapon

Jayjay

x4qjh9X.jpg

My final version

RWBY (pronounced "ruby") is an American anime-style web series created by Rooster Teeth.

The show is set in the fictional world of Remnant, where young people train to become warriors (called "Huntsmen" and "Huntresses") to protect their world from monsters called Grimm.

The name RWBY is derived from the four main characters' forenames: Ruby, Weiss, Blake, and Yang, as well as their associated theme colours; Red, White, Black, and Yellow.

Every character in the show usually has an over-the-top bombastic weapon, following the usual rules of anime by completely and utterly breaking the laws of physics.

ORTWvJn.gif

The main Character Ruby Rose has a weapon called the Crescent Rose, it functions as a transforming collapsible scythe and anti material sniper rifle.

The weapon as shown in the show can not exist as it is basically magic.

After seeing it I wondered if I could make it work (sans working firearm of course).

1i2dazY.jpg

The answer is yes!

Over the course of 4 years I began a slow burn of design/test/evaluate/repeat, I've finally produced what I think is a best case replica.

OTdoOA4.jpg

Imgur <-------------------- FULL GALLERY

Starting with some simple design ideas and armed with a 3D printer and the unshakeable optimism of the 'back of napkin designer' I set to work.

My first challenge was to figure out the movements I was trying to replicate. The show is a ridiculously fast paced action series. Slowing down and sketching it out would be a challenge, luckily like anything on the internet someone else had already tried.

gKp8w1N.png

After studying and planning, I had run into several painful roadblocks.

The only way forward was to test out designs that I knew would fail, but I knew I'd at least learn something.

The main problem stemmed from translating rotational movement to linear movement for parts mounted to other parts that themselves moved.

From pulleys, gears and chains and other less practical ideas, I finally settled on a rather simple and elegant step up/step down gearbox.

uKBWEDO.jpg

bXJynh5.gif

After that it was really just about fine tuning and testing. In the end I shudder to think of all the plastic I went through to get it to what its final state is.

With a final holster made by a friend, I'm ready to release it to the scorn and harsh judgement of a cruel world :)

RWBY Crescent Rose - Transforming by Jayjay21 <-------------------- DOWNLOAD

Oh wow. Everything about this is very well done. I've been wanting props of at least Rose and Mertinasater (I'm sure I butchered that spelling). Definitely going on my to-do list. So many parts. That pouch in the first pic is really well done, too.

Oh wow. Everything about this is very well done. I've been wanting props of at least Rose and Mertinasater (I'm sure I butchered that spelling). Definitely going on my to-do list. So many parts. That pouch in the first pic is really well done, too.

Thank you very much, I'm glad some people like it.

The download has my contact information if anyone wants clarification or help, I'd be super happy to lend a hand. And If you need design help on the others, I've got a basic idea on all the main weapons, including a glitter "dust" dispersal system for Myrtenaster.

My daughter LOVES RWBY! and as such, Ive watched the first 3 seasons with her. Fantastic work! I never thought I'd see something like this be done.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back