Rubies Darth Vader Helmet Mods - Modifications Part 2 Finished Nov 15

Re: Rubies Darth Vader Helmet Mods FINISHED 10/14/11

Learnt so much from watching each of the steps. How much time do you think you put in to the job and is there anything you would change in the process. Thanks for sharing.

I got the helmet in September 2010, so it took a little over a year to complete it, but thats working off and on and learning new things to do as I go. I had to wait until the spring and summer to paint so a lot of time comes from that.
One thing I would change is the way I did the dome. I'm not as happy with the way it came out. The ridge down the center looks pretty good, but the side pieces I added don't look that great. I added them to try to define the line around the dome more, but it ended up making it more difficult.

"I see you've constructed a new dome..indeed you are powerful as the emperor has forseen...impressive..most impressive"...:cool Seriously..very nicely done!

I have the old Don Post version. This thread makes me feel like looking for it. Its been sitting in its factory box for years.

Nice work!

looks superb!I tried modding mine a few years ago but it didnt turn out so well.I had major problems getting the eye sockets correct.So my rubies vader turned out looking like the victim of a car crash.

I think you did an awesome job with your modifications, I hope to have the same success... I will definitely be looking at your work for quite a while and studying it before I begin

Hey, I've been looking at creative ways to fix the dome mount angle on my rubies for a while now, and I like your solution the best. How did you remove the foam from the shell of the skateboard helmet? I have a helmet that looks almost identical to the one you show here. Thanks!

Hey, I've been looking at creative ways to fix the dome mount angle on my rubies for a while now, and I like your solution the best. How did you remove the foam from the shell of the skateboard helmet? I have a helmet that looks almost identical to the one you show here. Thanks!

Thanks!
The foam shell was pretty loose on my helmet already and I just pulled it out with a little force.

There isn't a picture of it in this thread, but the way I have it now is the back half of the plastic helmet shell is riveted to the Vader facemask. I filled it up with he soft bike helmet padding. I don't have the foam shell in there anymore, as it didn't fit and was too tight to wear.

Thanks!
The foam shell was pretty loose on my helmet already and I just pulled it out with a little force.

There isn't a picture of it in this thread, but the way I have it now is the back half of the plastic helmet shell is riveted to the Vader facemask. I filled it up with he soft bike helmet padding. I don't have the foam shell in there anymore, as it didn't fit and was too tight to wear.

Yes, I can see the rivets in the pictures of your facemask now. What mechanism do you have now to mount the dome onto the facemask? Do you just have it sitting on top for display?

Yes, I can see the rivets in the pictures of your facemask now. What mechanism do you have now to mount the dome onto the facemask? Do you just have it sitting on top for display?

I just put some velcro on different areas of the facemask and skateboard helmet back. I put some small pieces of foam padding on the inside of the dome. It fits at the perfect angle just resting on the facemask and skateboard helmet back. I completely removed the dome mount from the inside of the dome as well. Its on there secure and doesn't move at all really.

I just put some velcro on different areas of the facemask and skateboard helmet back. I put some small pieces of foam padding on the inside of the dome. It fits at the perfect angle just resting on the facemask and skateboard helmet back. I completely removed the dome mount from the inside of the dome as well. Its on there secure and doesn't move at all really.

Fantastic! I'm glad you said that. I got fed up with the mount on my helmet and just cut the whole thing off. I'm thinking about using some flat magnets for the mounting, just so I don't have to hear the frrrrip of velcro when I take the dome off. haha

Well I'm back.

Was never really happy with the dome modifications I did and I decided a few months ago, when I had the supplies I needed on hand, to re do it.

I had a few set backs with the paint on the facemask as when I got it painted black, it had built up in a few areas and lifted off the surface. So I had to sand and scrape off all the paint basically down to the plastic. But after about a month of off and on working on it, I got the facemask basically finished.

Here's how it sat, facemask in the primer/sanding stage along with the dome, which is going to have a lot of work done to it.
img_4060.jpg
img_4063.jpg

Almost done at this point, a few areas needed smoothing out.
img_4089.jpg

A side view showing my skateboard helmet.
img_4091.jpg
img_4093.jpg

After I was satisfied with how smooth it was, I painted it gloss black, 3 coats.
img_41011.jpg

img_4099.jpg

Masked off
img_41031.jpg

img_41041.jpg
img_41051.jpg

Got the metallic grey on
img_41091.jpg

img_41111.jpg

Mask removed.
img_41161.jpg

img_41171.jpg

img_41191.jpg

This part is basically done, just need to re attach some parts.
And then its a lot of work on the dome to get the shape right.

Re: Rubies Darth Vader Helmet Mods - Modifications Part 2 Sept 2015

amazing, I'm thinking very seriously get one and modify it

All your work is awesome. Your helmet looks like a nice mix of ANH and ESB with the eyes from ROTS. Your new work on it seems really promiting. Keep doing this awesome work !

Here's how the facemask sits now. Everything reinstalled.
img_4137.jpg

img_4136.jpg
img_4135.jpg
img_4139.jpg

I cleaned up that little bit or silver on the tip of the nose.

It's awesome to see the two differents colors of the helmet. A lot of people thing that Vader's helmet is all black. I tought it too in the past. When you watch the movies, it seams sometimes clearer beacause of the lighting like on this picture (excepted for the upper nose part):

anhvadersc1.jpg

The difference is tiny, but we can see it clearly on this pic:

500px-Praji-reporting-to-Vader.png

Keep up the good work it's awesome !

I haven't posted anything in a little bit, but I have been sanding, smoothing, and shaping the brow area. I think I finally have it to the way I like it.

img_42051.jpg
img_42071.jpg

I wanted to spray some gloss on it to better get an idea of what the final product will look like. I used red cause I didn't want to use up black that will be used for the final product. I think it's looking good.

img_42101.jpg
img_42111.jpg
img_42121.jpg
img_42131.jpg
img_42141.jpg

Looks stunning, you've done a fantastic job

I have a Rubies Vader coming that I picked up cheap on eBay

my mods will probably stop at a repaint though

Looks stunning, you've done a fantastic job

I have a Rubies Vader coming that I picked up cheap on eBay

my mods will probably stop at a repaint though

If nothing else, mod the dome mount. That, in my opinion, it the most necessary mod to this helmet. Getting the angle right makes it look that much nicer.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back