Rubies armor

Darth Domain

Well-Known Member
i've finally got the courage to mod my rubies helmet (thanks to the encouragement and lots of tips/advice from guys on the board).
I was wondering if any one has modded the rubies armor such as removing the cape clips, filling the holes with epoxy, sanding then repainting the armor, clearcoating and adding a brass hook. If anyone has, have you got any pics. If no ones attempted it, then i'll have to post pics when i start.
 

Darth Kahnt

Sr Member
Originally posted by Darth Domain@Jan 17 2006, 02:26 PM
i've finally got the courage to mod my rubies helmet (thanks to the encouragement and lots of tips/advice from guys on the board).
I was wondering if any one has modded the rubies armor such as removing the cape clips, filling the holes with epoxy, sanding then repainting the armor, clearcoating and adding a brass hook. If anyone has, have you got any pics. If no ones attempted it, then i'll have to post pics when i start.
[snapback]1161275[/snapback]​
Mark,

I know a couple of guys who repainted it, its a piece of cake if you are going to do your helmet. I dont have any pics though. I added a cape hook to my own fiberglass armor and I would imagine adding one to the rubies armor would be a piece of cake as well.
 

KevVader

Sr Member
....since the chest armor is somewhat more flimsy than the helmet, make sure that the paint you use has flex agents in it so it won't crack when it distorts....
 

Darth Kahnt

Sr Member
Originally posted by KevVader@Jan 17 2006, 06:02 PM
....since the chest armor is somewhat more flimsy than the helmet, make sure that the paint you use has flex agents in it so it won't crack when it distorts....
[snapback]1161453[/snapback]​
Good point Kev. Do you know what brands of paints contain flex agents?
 

KevVader

Sr Member
Originally posted by DarthKahnt+Jan 17 2006, 05:20 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DarthKahnt @ Jan 17 2006, 05:20 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-KevVader
@Jan 17 2006, 06:02 PM
....since the chest armor is somewhat more flimsy than the helmet, make sure that the paint you use has flex agents in it so it won't crack when it distorts....
[snapback]1161453[/snapback]​
Good point Kev. Do you know what brands of paints contain flex agents?
[snapback]1161471[/snapback]​
[/b]

DK....I would say any automotive type paint made specifically for plastic bumpers etc....some of these paints are custom mixed and the flex agent is added. I know Krylon makes a paint specifically for painting plastic car bumpers that has the agent already in the paint....
 

Darth Domain

Well-Known Member
Originally posted by KevVader+Jan 18 2006, 02:58 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KevVader @ Jan 18 2006, 02:58 AM)</div>
Originally posted by DarthKahnt@Jan 17 2006, 05:20 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-KevVader
@Jan 17 2006, 06:02 PM
....since the chest armor is somewhat more flimsy than the helmet, make sure that the paint you use has flex agents in it so it won't crack when it distorts....
[snapback]1161453[/snapback]​


Good point Kev. Do you know what brands of paints contain flex agents?
[snapback]1161471[/snapback]​

DK....I would say any automotive type paint made specifically for plastic bumpers etc....some of these paints are custom mixed and the flex agent is added. I know Krylon makes a paint specifically for painting plastic car bumpers that has the agent already in the paint....
[snapback]1161720[/snapback]​
[/b]
Thanks for that Kev i'll check on that when i purchase
 

JDFett

Active Member
Originally posted by Darth Domain@Jan 17 2006, 01:26 PM
i've finally got the courage to mod my rubies helmet (thanks to the encouragement and lots of tips/advice from guys on the board).
I was wondering if any one has modded the rubies armor such as removing the cape clips, filling the holes with epoxy, sanding then repainting the armor, clearcoating and adding a brass hook. If anyone has, have you got any pics. If no ones attempted it, then i'll have to post pics when i start.
[snapback]1161275[/snapback]​
if you do that it will no longer be ROTS accurate. the armor in RTOS has the two clips on the side not one in the middle..
 

chris1748

Well-Known Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
look at the thickness of the chest and shoulder armor. and the paintjob is new.

chris
 

Darth Domain

Well-Known Member
Originally posted by SithLord7768+Jan 18 2006, 11:34 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SithLord7768 @ Jan 18 2006, 11:34 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Darth Domain
@Jan 17 2006, 01:26 PM
i've finally got the courage to mod my rubies helmet (thanks to the encouragement and lots of tips/advice from guys on the board).
I was wondering if any one has modded the rubies armor such as removing the cape clips, filling the holes with epoxy, sanding then repainting the armor, clearcoating and adding a brass hook. If anyone has, have you got any pics. If no ones attempted it, then i'll have to post pics when i start.
[snapback]1161275[/snapback]​
if you do that it will no longer be ROTS accurate. the armor in RTOS has the two clips on the side not one in the middle..
[snapback]1161945[/snapback]​
[/b]
Good point, i go for the unusual mix as opposed to screen accurate i prefer the cape hook in the middle though, with some good AG loc chain. I just thought the armor would be much better painted again and clearcoated. Also, the shin armor which is terribly scratched already and next to impossible to get a good shine on with polish.
 

KevVader

Sr Member
Originally posted by Darth Domain@Jan 18 2006, 12:48 PM


....Also, the shin armor which is terribly scratched already and next to impossible to get a good shine on with polish.
[snapback]1162149[/snapback]​

....replace them with a set of TK510's ABS shins off ebay....they are an excellent set...
 

Darth Kahnt

Sr Member
Originally posted by Darth Domain@Jan 18 2006, 01:48 PM
Good point, i go for the unusual mix as opposed to screen accurate i prefer the cape hook in the middle though, with some good AG loc chain. I just thought the armor would be much better painted again and clearcoated. Also, the shin armor which is terribly scratched already and next to impossible to get a good shine on with polish.
[snapback]1162149[/snapback]​
Yes, that shin armor is incredibly frustrating. I would recommend a new paint job on that as well.... well I'd actually recommend a new set altogether (like Kev suggested) but a paint job for sure if a new set is out of the question.
 

JDFett

Active Member
my RSV chest armor and shins came out of the box looking like crap...i too had to sand and repaint...im actually thinking of attempting my first fiberglass project this summer...ive never done it before and i would like to make the chest armor ROTS accurate from fiberglass. until i get motivated to do that i will just go with the repaint.
 

GundamZeppelin

Sr Member
Here is a picture of what i done with the rubies shins i also painted the armor, helmet,belt boxs etc., they look far better after being painted but i am selling them, since i already have fiberglass ones so i no longer have a need for them (fiberglass + Heavy boots = walking like darth vader at the end of EPIII) :(
 

Darth Domain

Well-Known Member
Originally posted by GundamZeppelin@Jan 21 2006, 02:56 PM
Here is a picture of what i done with the rubies shins i also painted the armor, helmet,belt boxs etc., they look far better after being painted but i am selling them, since i already have fiberglass ones so i no longer have a need for them  (fiberglass + Heavy boots = walking like darth vader at the end of EPIII) :(
[snapback]1164473[/snapback]​
Nice job, with regards to the armor/shins, did you use the paint that has a flex component to it?
 

GundamZeppelin

Sr Member
To tell the truth i don't know :( i havent worn them since i painted them but from what i can tell so far they can move with out chiping or pealing, I just use dupli-color paint from wal-mart or any auto store but i hear auto-zone sales it cheaper then walmart, there is also http://www.autobarn.net/duplicolor.html for the harder colors to find. i hope that Info helped. Maybe i'll take a shot or two with my web cam to show the chest armor and helmet, I've done a few more mods to the helmet to give it a better look

heres an updated shot of my helmet and armor on a cheap web cam :(

 
Top